V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OL got her '06 XL 1200 Low in Brandywine Sunglo a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been trying to trick it out so she can feel more comfortable learning to handle the larger ride (larger than her now expired Zuki GZ250). To that end I have put on the H-D Solo Reach seat and Progressive Series 412 11" lowering shocks. I also have the H-D solo rack and mounting kit coming from Zanotti motors to finish out her "Bobber" look. These shocks really work. The bike is easily an 1" lower, maybe an 1 1/2", and they went on like a dream. 15 minutes max to install. I propped the bike up with my car jack, just enough to take the weight off the back wheel, and cranked 'em on. They came with several spacers and I have put on the ones that look like they line things up best. But there were no instructions. Is there a rule of thumb or some known guidelines for installing spacers or washer to align lower shocks? I have ridden the bike and it feels great. Nice ride, not too harsh, no bottoming out on the fender even with me on it, and I can still ride it over curbs without dragging. I've been riding it like a dirt bike through the neighbors yards. The jiffy stand could be shortened but the stocker still props the bike up fine. Maybe a little less angle but not unsafe.

PS: I've put about 100 miles on the '06 Sporty and have noticed two differences from my old Sporty. The new bike's throttle is pretty twitchy. The thing will leap out from underneath you without much twisting and I end up sitting on the rear fender every time. And the new reduced friction clutch is nice but it does not seem to do much when you are holding it in at a long light. Seems like the same old Harley "gorilla" clutch once it's pulled in. The carb sure doesn't like the cold and really takes a long time to warm up (smooth out) when it's below 45 degrees out. Other than that, the new Sportsters sure are a nice change from a big Softy.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Chris
Post some pics when it's done . My buddy's OL just got a sporty and i'm sure she would like to see it.
She couldn't stand the stock seat said it killed her butt, ended up getting the mustang seat, said it feels a thousand times better.
I would think whaterver spacers keep the shock straighter.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
HD-LUX said:
The OL got her '06 XL 1200 Low in Brandywine Sunglo a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been trying to trick it out so she can feel more comfortable learning to handle the larger ride (larger than her now expired Zuki GZ250). To that end I have put on the H-D Solo Reach seat and Progressive Series 412 11" lowering shocks. I also have the H-D solo rack and mounting kit coming from Zanotti motors to finish out her "Bobber" look. These shocks really work. The bike is easily an 1" lower, maybe an 1 1/2", and they went on like a dream. 15 minutes max to install. I propped the bike up with my car jack, just enough to take the weight off the back wheel, and cranked 'em on. They came with several spacers and I have put on the ones that look like they line things up best. But there were no instructions. Is there a rule of thumb or some known guidelines for installing spacers or washer to align lower shocks? I have ridden the bike and it feels great. Nice ride, not too harsh, no bottoming out on the fender even with me on it, and I can still ride it over curbs without dragging. I've been riding it like a dirt bike through the neighbors yards. The jiffy stand could be shortened but the stocker still props the bike up fine. Maybe a little less angle but not unsafe.

PS: I've put about 100 miles on the '06 Sporty and have noticed two differences from my old Sporty. The new bike's throttle is pretty twitchy. The thing will leap out from underneath you without much twisting and I end up sitting on the rear fender every time. And the new reduced friction clutch is nice but it does not seem to do much when you are holding it in at a long light. Seems like the same old Harley "gorilla" clutch once it's pulled in. The carb sure doesn't like the cold and really takes a long time to warm up (smooth out) when it's below 45 degrees out. Other than that, the new Sportsters sure are a nice change from a big Softy.

Blah..Blah..Blah:yawn: ....Chris! Where are the pics!!!!! And I know you can take pics. Because I think that's your deluxe on the VTF banner. You should make that your new signature. "Yea, that's my bike in the VTF banner" :harhar:

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All, pics sure to be coming when the luggage rack gets on next week. You can count on it. And Mori, yeah, that's about how I approached it, whatever keeps them as straight as possible. So I ended up with a full sized spacer up top (to push out the upper mounting away from the fender rail enough to get the stock chrome cover on) and just a heavy washer on the inner side of the swing arm to keep the rubber bushing in place. They seem straight but what do I know. They ride well and they don't contact the belt guard. Thanks. As for the banner, yeah, that's Lady Luck up there. I had just finished a summer theme of the banner on the plane and was going to send it to DP when I landed but my laptop and all my gear was stolen in the UK. Smash and grab job. So I gotta start from scratch on a new banner in Photoshop. But keep your eyes peeled ... and the rubber side down.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Sweeeeet,

Sorry to hear about your stuff being lifted.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
One sweet ride! But where is the little lady?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Nice low sporty, but it would look better if you had the OL on it. Or are you wating for bikini weather to take her pic on it?

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dudes, she would BBQ me if I posted her picture. Even something as tame as this ...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
WOW Chris...I'm impressed...the bike is nice too...:brows:

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
The Sporty is looking great Chris. Now the real problems arise, who get's to go out and ride with the Delinquent's? Gent's, I think we will soon find out who wears the pants in the house.:laugh:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
DNLEVESQUE said:
The Sporty is looking great Chris. Now the real problems arise, who get's to go out and ride with the Delinquent's? Gent's, I think we will soon find out who wears the pants in the house.:laugh:
I would go as far to say that it's pretty obvious who where's the pants in post #10. She looks pretty comfortable on that monster. :corn:

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
Rock Steady said:
I would go as far to say that it's pretty obvious who where's the pants in post #10. She looks pretty comfortable on that monster. :corn:
I think we'll be seeing her on the Deluxe and him on the Sporty, that will really show who the boss is.

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
Hi Chris. The bike looks great.

Wow, love must really be blind. The woman must be a saint. :bleh:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Two Tone Softail Deluxe....$17,580
Digital Camera for a nice picture.....$200.00
Premium member picture fee...$15.00

Watching Chris' little lady ride off on his bike, with stolen keys, laughing her a$$ off because he put a pic of her on the web......PRICELESS! :chopper:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Very, very nice. I sure miss having my wife behind me on my Road King, but not as much as I enjoy sharing a lane with her on her own!

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rock Steady said:
Two Tone Softail Deluxe....$17,580
Digital Camera for a nice picture.....$200.00
Premium member picture fee...$15.00

Watching Chris' little lady ride off on his bike, with stolen keys, laughing her a$$ off because he put a pic of her on the web......PRICELESS! :chopper:
OK, now that is fukin' funny! I guess that's way better than having her lawyer pry the keys out of my cold, dead fingers after the divorce leaves me an empty husk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.