V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride over the weekend and my rear fender came out the worse for it. Completely crunched by a highway bar, so need a new fender and some paint....some paint...some paint. This is for an '08 Fatboy with a dark gray metallic base color.

some obvious choices. First, wait until the off season and ride as is (very ugly). Look for and buy a new/used fender and have it painted to match the base color of the bike. Change in the warm confines of my shop over the winter.

Choice 1.5, do the same fender trick now and hope I can get it all changed up before it's too cold to ride (late October usually).

Next - find a painter that has completed tin sets and trade my perfect front fender and tank for an already painted set.

Last choice is to maybe just wait, but instead of stickign with my curent base color, strip the tins and send them off over the winter to be done.

I think I am loving the burnt, candy tangarine color over a basic HD bar and shield on the tank done in the same color graphic/stripe. Does anyone have great recommendation for any of the above? For the painter shops - anyone have a finished set of '08 Fatboy tins where a core of the OEM tank and front fender would be part of the deal?

Thanks for suggestions -

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Scour eBay first...you never know if you may find a painted one that will match....if you have the HD black pearl, which looks alot like a dark grey metallic, then be prepared to pay a good amt for the paint. There is alot of zyrillic pearl in there which costs money. Paint alone can cost $50 or more for just a 1/2 pint plus clearcoat etc...

You might as well just try and live with it and ride another couple months (hopefully). Can you try and bend it back to shape a little bit?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
My guess is 3-4 hours labor...there is a fuel pump to deal with and then the rear fender which usually takes the longest to remove...so probably an hour or two to remove and again to reinstall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts