V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been measuring everything on the back end of my 03 FXST and come up with the following regarding installing a bigger rim/tyre. I can get a 200 tyre on a 5.5" rim and stock swing arm but switching to chain drive with offset sprockets & maybe have to machine my caliper a bit. I can go up to 250 on an 8.5" rim and wider swing arm & use my stock belt but according to my measurements I'll have to fit an extended mainshaft & space the primary out 1 inch - OR I can spend lots of cash on the 07 swing arm, narrow pulleys & belt and use a 200. It's down to belt vs chain final drive & also any opinions on how severeley the 1 inch primary spacer throws out the handling??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Isn't the idea to move the trans pulley to the left.
By spacing the trans you just put the trans back where it was, no??

So i don't think you need to space out the mainshaft.
You may have to aquire a different trans mounting plate and figure what to do with the fifth trans bolt.

As far as handling, I bet a primary belt drive would offset the over hung weight.

In my opinion, if you like to keep your bike super clean than the belt would be better and smoother.
If you want to transmit a lot of power than the chain is the way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 05 Fatboy with a 200/50/18 on a custom 5.5 spoke rim, stock swingarm, 1 1/8 pulley and matching belt, 9 inch struts, 9 inch legacy fender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys .. NCC, it's an 03 so the tranny is fixed - good point on the primary belt though. Mik .. Did you manage to keep the wheel centred or is it over to the right? Got any photos?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts