V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya fellas,

So I was just looking on Bikez.com at the specs between the 2004 Wide Glide and the 2004 Lowrider (which I have)

I had thought I had read that the two share the same frame...and since both have the same rake (32 deg), why is the lowrider's wheelbase shorter then the WG?

Do they NOT have the same frame?

Are the trees on the WG raked, and is this rake not reflected in the rake in the specs? (as in, is the frame rake 32, but the WG has a few more in the trees?)

Still debating what to do with my front end...trying to make sure rake and trail make sense, so i'm looking at the Wide Glde as a bit of a model i guess in case i wanna switch to a 21" wheel (which i STILL debate back and forth on)...

Any thoughts?

:wootdnc:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Some of the specs on Bikez.com don't look right. They're showing overall length of the Low Rider at 92.1" and the Wide Glide at 93.1", yet the wheelbase of the Wide Glide is nearly 3" longer...62.8" vs 65.6".

Power Sports Network has specs for 2004 models that look a little more believable. They show wheelbase of the Low Rider at 65.5" and the Wide Glide at 66.1". I believe the slightly longer wheelbase of the Wide Glide is because of the longer forks. If you look at a side photo of a 2004 Wide Glide, there is no rake in the trees. I had a 2003 WG and the trees were not raked on it.

Attachments

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
AkronRockstar said:
Heya fellas,

So I was just looking on Bikez.com at the specs between the 2004 Wide Glide and the 2004 Lowrider (which I have)

Do they NOT have the same frame?

:
Yep, the 04 FXDWG and FXDL share the same frame. The FXD and FXDX were different as they had 28 degree necks.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
The Wide Glide fork tubes are 2 inches longer, gives you the longer wheelbase. I have an '05 Low Rider that I put a factory Wide Glide front end on, made it longer and jacked up the front a bit. Sits like a Wide Glide thats been lowered an inch in the back since the lowrider shocks are a half inch shorter which equals almost an inch of seat height.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
in addition to the longer forks you are also looking at a 21 inch wheel compared to a 19 inch on the FXDL. The FXDL is also lowered which is going to change the wheelbase (it is true). Other than that, you take off the seat, handlebars, rear fender, front fender, front forks, tank panel, front tire, rear shocks, and a couple of other do-dads it is the same bike.
:hystria:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not sure if they are the same as the newer models as far as rake, but here are some specs on the 06 and later:

FXDI, FXDC, and FXDB - 29 degree in the neck, 0 degree trees = 29 total
FXDL - 29 degree in the neck, 1.5 degree trees = 30.5 total
FXDWG - 32 degree in the neck, 2 degree trees = 34 total

1 - 12 of 12 Posts