V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spoken to so many men about the front tire issue. I have owned bikes with wide front tires as well as a few with narrow front tires. However, I have truly not had a narrow front tire bike worthy of hitting the highway (1996 Yamaha Virago 535 way back when). I would love some true, many miles on the seat, advice from any women who have ridden highway miles with the guys on both types of set ups.

As it relates to money, seems the Dynas are the best price but they have a narrow front tire.

I do not want to get beaten up by the road when we ride on the highway.

Looking for solid, hands on advice. I am 42 years old - 5'5 and 145 pounds. I am a very experienced rider.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the new 2011 XL 1200 custom with the wide front tire. I love it! absorbs the bumps better, smoother all around!

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
the narrow glide will handle fine on the highway , I put a few 600 -800 mile days on my dyna when I had it , I now have a road glide and as far as handleing the highway the only difference is the road glide is a more comfortable ride due to the fairing blocking the wind.

LoneEagle

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I have the 90 x 21 on my Fxst & I have never had a problem at all on the streets or on the hwys. I have been contemplating going to the 3" wheel with the 120 x 21 but also have reservations as to how much more handling I will gain for the $.

Its good anywhere I have run.

Dare .... cheers .... :beer:

2000 FXST

·
Registered
582 Posts
What is the advantage?
Not really an advantage as far as I know. A larger wheel/tire looks badass and as far as I can tell unless you are off road there really is no need for a fatter front tire unless it is just what ya like. I personally like the front tire big and thin. I have no problem with long highway runs on my stock which I will replace for a larger one when I get the chance to rob just one more bank. Ride safe regardless!!

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Take a look at the 2012 Dyna Switchback. Now too far off in price from Dyna Wideglide
I sat on the Switchback the other day and it's a nice bike. It has a super low seat height (lower than my low rider) so it would be great for a lady rider. I really like the quick detach hard saddle bags and windshield since I don't ride on the highway much, but I could put them back on in no time flat for a long highway ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have rode the MH90 21" for years. Personally I like em thin and large. Never had a Dyna style fork and thin wheel combo I didnt enjoy.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I have had thin and thick tires. They all rode good, but the wider tire only did slightly better over bridge gratings. I believe a thinner tire works better in the twisties. It is also the type of bike it is mounted on.

A FXR will run rings around a Dyna around a Heritage.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I like the 19" that was on a sporty, a little wider then the 21 but still light. I'd put one on my fatboy if I could find a used mag that would fit. Even an 18".

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like the 19" that was on a sporty, a little wider then the 21 but still light. I'd put one on my fatboy if I could find a used mag that would fit. Even an 18".
Agreed. Really like the look of the 21", but much prefer the handling of the 19". The 19" feels more sure-footed. Living with the stock 21" on this Custom, but after researching it a bit, found a decent 19" mag complete with rotor on eBay and stashed it in case I decide to swap 'em out.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
If you rode these roads we have here in Maine you'd want a wide tire rather than a crack finder.. Bigger the bike the bigger the tire..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you rode these roads we have here in Maine you'd want a wide tire rather than a crack finder.. Bigger the bike the bigger the tire..

Exactly! The potholes of Pennsylvania roads are legendary! 130/16s are a minimum! A friend of mine got his 21 stuck in a sewer grate .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
16 Participants
pb68slab
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing