V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I continue to contemplate which touring bike I'll end up with, this is the latest question. I LOVE the looks of the StreetGlide..no question. I also love the looks of a Classic or even an Ultra stripped down in cruiser mode. It seems with the Classic, in this case, you already get the Tour Pak, ($350 to install quick release gear), and at least a $1200 value, (that of course if you were planning to get one for the SG, which I assume many aren't.) You can lower it if you choose, but I think it still looks sleek enough sans tour pak without it. A solo or sleek 2up seat to replace the stock road sofas and the you change the whole look.
I was looking at a new 95" Street Glide w/chromed lowers and switch gear at the dealer yesterday...$24K. The EG Ultra next to it was a 95"...guess what $24K. I don't typically get too worked up about price issues if it's something I want, but it just seems the Classic or Ultra have everything you "might" want for the SG, yet they can be easily made to get very close in looks. Make sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Makes sense to me. Buy the Ultra Glide and strip it down to cruiser status then when you want to tour you got all the stuff you need at no extra cost.
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
I would buy the Ultra. To me the Street Glide is a nice looking bike, but not very functional for the money. When I say functional, I refer to its ability to be loaded and riden like any Electra Glide was ment to be, not just cruise around town and look cool.
And you are right, with a Lower windshield, Detachable Tour PAk and Different seat, the Ultra makes a nice cruiser.
good luck with your deciaion.
 

·
~~Finder Of Paths ~~
Joined
·
203 Posts
Exactly the desision I made... Ultra arrives in a few weeks, will strip tour pack off by adding removable hardware, soon find some type of solo or slimmer 2 up seat, shorter dark windshield, lose some fender trim probly. then will have similar looks to SG but in matter of 10 to 15 minutes have TP back on and be on the road whenever I like! Life dont get no better than that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
JagmanR said:
As I continue to contemplate which touring bike I'll end up with, this is the latest question. I LOVE the looks of the StreetGlide..no question. I also love the looks of a Classic or even an Ultra stripped down in cruiser mode. It seems with the Classic, in this case, you already get the Tour Pak, ($350 to install quick release gear), and at least a $1200 value, (that of course if you were planning to get one for the SG, which I assume many aren't.) You can lower it if you choose, but I think it still looks sleek enough sans tour pak without it. A solo or sleek 2up seat to replace the stock road sofas and the you change the whole look.
I was looking at a new 95" Street Glide w/chromed lowers and switch gear at the dealer yesterday...$24K. The EG Ultra next to it was a 95"...guess what $24K. I don't typically get too worked up about price issues if it's something I want, but it just seems the Classic or Ultra have everything you "might" want for the SG, yet they can be easily made to get very close in looks. Make sense?
Makes perfectly good sense to me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
If you buy the street glide, put a rear engine guard on, or your going to regret it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
berserker said:
If you buy the street glide, put a rear engine guard on, or your going to regret it.
That is one of things that I don't think I'd remove from a Classic or Ultra, but also wouldn't add to a SG. Perhaps another reason to go with the former.
 

·
Road Hawg
Joined
·
146 Posts
berserker said:
If you buy the street glide, put a rear engine guard on, or your going to regret it.

You could, instead of the rear engine guard, put one of those Lindby rear Linbars, which I think would look better.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
701 Posts
Daytona Street Glide

If my legs weren't so damn long I would take off the front engine guard! Gotta have somewhere to mount the cruiseboards so I can stretch out and kick back. Another reason I went with the SG, to get rid of all the extra trim and rails. I like the rear fender treatment and tri-lite, compact bullet trun signals, streamliner series stuff, tank console, bottom plate mount, no running lights, street stalker front fender and rims. It all just adds to the complete look with 3" true duals. Looks, sounds and runs like a hotrod. I think MOCO did a great job with the SG. Strip it, dyno it and ride it hard!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
606 Posts
I was actually going to get a RG until I saw the SG and then it was a no brainer. Picking up my SG with a high torque 95 next weekend.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
bountyhunter said:
If my legs weren't so damn long I would take off the front engine guard![/IMG]
Its got two wheels. Add up the cost of dumping it one time vs cool factor. I won't have a bike without one. Depends how much you ride too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
nt30 said:
I was actually going to get a RG until I saw the SG and then it was a no brainer. Picking up my SG with a high torque 95 next weekend.
Those are really two differant bikes. I can see people comparing standard vs street glide. But not fork mounted vs frame mounted fairings.
 

·
Road Hawg
Joined
·
146 Posts
Are the 3" duals standard on the SG? You do get a bit more add-ons (color matched stuff, etc.) with the SG, but I think they are way overpriced because the demand for them is so high right now. Personally, I do not like a lowered bike, nor do I care for the extras. My bike will never be a show bike. I'm getting a new Classic (non-ultra) because I think it gives me more value and flexibility. I may remove the saddlebag guards, as I find that look appealing. I guess what it comes down to is we are all different, it depends on what you want, and how you define "value".

How's that for a useless post? :huh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
606 Posts
berserker Quote:


Those are really two differant bikes. I can see people comparing standard vs street glide. But not fork mounted vs frame mounted fairings.

I realize they are two different bikes. I was coming from a softtail to a tourer and had been looking at the RG until the SG caught my eye. Plus I heard the the RG takes alot of getting use to since it is fork mounted.

Guess it all comes down to personal preference. If we all bought the same style of bike it would be pretty boring on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
If choosing between a Classic and an Ultra, I'd pick the Ultra just for the advanced electronics - cruise, intercom, etc.

Now between the Ultra and the Streetglide, it all depends on what you want to do. If you think you're going to do some serious 2-up touring, get the Ultra and strip it down. By serious, I mean 10k plus miles on the open road a year. I have a Road King and have done some serious rides like Sturgis and Milwaulkee and it served me just fine - I never wished I had a Glide. I did consider the Streetglide when it first came out though. I really like the looks and the radio would be nice. But an iPod serves just as well.

I wouldn't even consider buying a tourpak for a Streetglide. You can get a Kuryakyn Full Dresser that will hold more stuff and can be removed from the bike and taken into the hotel every night.

Its a tough decision, good luck.
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
Take this post with a grain of salt because I'm Ultra buyist. If they both cost the same thing. :hmmm: Then stuff your bag with more goodies I say. It's usually easier to take off than it is to add on ($$ wise anyway). Parts and Service is how Harley makes the real money. So beware of the markup of add ons after initial purchase of the bike.:whisper:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
LittleBear said:
I would buy the Ultra. To me the Street Glide is a nice looking bike, but not very functional for the money. When I say functional, I refer to its ability to be loaded and riden like any Electra Glide was ment to be, not just cruise around town and look cool.
And you are right, with a Lower windshield, Detachable Tour PAk and Different seat, the Ultra makes a nice cruiser.
good luck with your deciaion.
And with a higher windshield, 3 piece shield bag, my t-bag I can haul just as much as you can and stay out as long on the road as any Ultra can, with my Street Glide. (and I get to look cool too).... I don't think anybody can make anyone else's choice when buying a motorcycle for even a similar function.
But that's just MHO....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
Take this post with a grain of salt because I'm Ultra buyist. If they both cost the same thing. :hmmm: Then stuff your bag with more goodies I say. It's usually easier to take off than it is to add on ($$ wise anyway). Parts and Service is how Harley makes the real money. So beware of the markup of add ons after initial purchase of the bike.:whisper:
@gree:

next year i'm either going to sell the roadking and buy an ultra or just buy an ultra. might keep the roadking til i get the ultra stripped down for local cruisin too.:huh:
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
Y2K King said:
@gree:

next year i'm either going to sell the roadking and buy an ultra or just buy an ultra. might keep the roadking til i get the ultra stripped down for local cruisin too.:huh:
King,
Sale the RK. You don't want an old family member sitting over there looking lonely now do ya? You'll walk out everyday and look at the RK and the Ultra and make the right decision. King starts to collect cob webs. Let someone else make the King happy. If you love it...set if free. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top