V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can think of a few reasons. I prefer Made in USA myself number one. A Harley has what I'm looking for in a bike. The look, sound and feel of it. I've ridden a lot of different makes of bikes in my youth but the Harleys are my favorites. Nothing compares to the sound and feel of a Harley or Indian! The style and chrome... Making mods or customizing it to your own personal taste.

I recently bought a 73 Harley FLH and sold my 01 FLH. No regrets I love the old shovelhead motors and the power, sound and also working on them. I been wrenching all my life and enjoy working on them as much as riding them. Nothing compares or sounds like a shovelhead motor. I'm about to pull the motor and trans from mine and reseal it all. Bikes been sitting for several years and seeping here and there so time to get into it. It's just in my blood man the classic old American iron...

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really pretty bike....for my daily driver and bike I choose for touring, I pick my vtx1800...over 12,000 mi/yr....for short, local rides, road king....just tired of keeping it on the road....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why does it get in our blood, and stay there? There is a simple, true answer, related to blood.
Rode a 71, 650 Bonneville for awhile back in the 1970's ...As a kid destroyed a 175 cc Kawasaki dirt bike, almost destroyed myself ! For years I've longed for a Harley....finally found exactly what I've always wanted , a classic touring bike..2001 Road King...mint, low miles, racing kit added, not something I needed but was installed by previous owner. Kinda sucks, because you can't really get out of 2nd gear in city driving...3rd wants to do 50 + .mph...I ditched the faring , added ape hangers . kept the bags and am totally enthralled with this bike. Had not been on a bike for 20 years, little did I know that now when you go for a bike licences it is necessary to take a course...for a old geeza like me this is BS, but non the less , authority and obedience is pervasive and those younger blokes around you tend to insist the importance of a licenses and other such ludicrous items. The course is taken on 250 Honda or Suzuki bikes.! Ok, I admit , after 20 years of no riding , I was reminded of what I'd forgotten ...and the state made their fee for it.! What I was aware of instantly...these little bikes weighted nothing...everything about riding came back naturally, , not instantly, but a few corners, a few clutch pulls, gear shifts , etc, ...felt like I was back on the 175 Kawasaki dirt bike I rode as a kid. This was fantastic ! It was 20 years with nothing but 4 wheels under me and I was comfortable . There was 20 plus in the class, they all were excited to head out on their own bikes now with a new licenses...me too...but then I remembered,, 01 Road King was 700 plus lbs. these practice bikes were 250 lbs. tops... I mentioned to the guy running the course, " " " You passed me on a 250 Honda, I'm riding a 01 Road King" ...before he could answer, I told him I was going to take the Harley out in the parking lot next to where I worked and complete the same course/ test on my own ...which I did and to my amazement the Road King was , in most cases , easier to maneuver than the little bike. Is it in your blood ? I'm not sure I'm convinced of that....I do know it becomes natural, rider with bike. What is the myth ? There is a big MF. bike engine under your ass , it vibrates, it talks through the exhaust , chug,chug,chug,chug ... you can feel the pistons ...it's a V-twin...bang....bang...bang...bang..just listen to the exhaust . Blood ? It's emotions man...it's either in you or it's not ! Same as a guitar player...blues man...blues harp ... you either have it or not...you know right off ! If that Harley makes decisions for you...forget all else ! Pssst. if it's better than a orgasm ? trust it !

41 - 44 of 44 Posts