V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all you EG Classic and Ultra Riders.
Why did you choose this bagger?
I'm presently considering an Ultra and would like to get some ideas as to why you choose it...
I presently ride a fatboy that has alot of customizing all over it...Sweet ride...However I feel the ride can be improved on...
Its certainly would be nice to have the extra storage for those weekend over night stays...
The added security the OL feels tucked away in the back seat...
The full compliment of gauges...
Lets not forget about the radio for those long rides...
I had taken an Ultra out for a ride at one time on a demo ride and was unsure about the full fairing and not being able to see directly in front of the wheel...
This I felt would be a temperary phase and get adjusted to it real quick...
So if you uys would take a moment...
Just curious...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
You did real well...all by yourself !! Now go buy the bike !!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Gettin older

I came off a fat boy and bought a 2003 classic. There was a period of adjustment. Just the little difference in the seat height and center of gravity had me not liking the bike at first. I actually thought at first, " What the H--L have I done". After a couple hundred miles though I got comfortable and now have over 30K miles on my ride. I have done a big bore kit and added a 6 speed cause I like to tour, Lots of 3 day weekends from the Philly area, Like to go down to W.Virginia and north to New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire areas. I am so glad I made the move, lots more space, radio,comfort, good in bad weather, alarm system good for the hotels while out on the road. I won't ever be without a Bagger. Thinking about a run around bike but it is just too expensive to have 2. So i am doing the detached tour pac thing and adding a badlande seat to give me the Street Glide look. 2 bikes for not a ton of money. Good luck with your choice.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
I made an extreme swing. 1200XLC to an Ultra. Reason being I love to ride for distances and my wife doesn't always like to drive her own bike. I love all the creature comforts too. Messed up last year when I rented one in Florida for 4 days during vacation. Been hooked every since. Also you can strip them down like BEDEMONSTER's ride down below. Some say the Road King is the most versatile bike. I'm not convienced of that anymore. And don't think that EGlides are sluggish. There are quite a few "stump pullers" in this forum that can show you different. Once you go EGlide you got everything. My -2$en#e-

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I Love My Ultra

I couldn't agree with Rock Steady more. I owned a 1200 Sportster and a Heritage before I bought the Ultra. My OL and I do alot of touring and all the creature comforts come in handy. I certainly loved my Heritage for its looks but it did not live up to what we wanted for touring. I have never looked back since I bought the Ultra. My -2$en#e- worth

·
Registered
250 Posts
@gree:

The adjustment period depends on how far you live from your dealer.

If it's over 5 miles, you will be in love with the bagger by the time you get it home.

Enjoy the new ride !

BTW, after a couple of years of my suggesting to my wife that she "just try" a bagger, last fall she rode one around a parking lot for about 10 minutes. It was a big parking lot so she practiced starting, turning, stoping, swerving, etc. After the 10 minutes, she pulled up to me and said, "Sell my Dyna, I'm keeping this one!"

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
TexasBowhunter said:
I had taken an Ultra out for a ride at one time on a demo ride and was unsure about the full fairing and not being able to see directly in front of the wheel...

Hi TexasBowhunter

First of all, you shouldn’t be looking directly in front of the wheel anyway … just my opinion. The only times I do want to look at the front wheel is when I’m at the bike rallies and I can’t enter the barrel race … cause I can’t see the front wheel.

But having said that it does take some used to. I rode a Honda Shadow 1100 before I bought my Ultra and I felt really nervous at first with the extra weight, big fairing and it just looked and felt “sooo biiggg”.

I then got used to it and realized that that huge fairing comes in really handy in adverse weather conditions. It has to be really pouring down hard for me to get soaking wet. And the fact is that the OL really appreciates the passenger compartment when she comes along and decides not to ride her sporty.

The tunes are well worth it on long trips, I use an Ipod which connects to the stereo. I keep the CB tuned to the trucker’s channel and hear what’s happening on the road whether it be an accident or warnings about wildlife on the road ahead.

I’ve always wanted a Heritage, so I rented one for a weekend a few years back and it actually felt small to me. I may be getting old, but I was all cramped up at the end of the ride. I can ride the Ultra for days and not feel cramped.

SO, go out and buy that Ultra ... You'll get used to it and really ennjoy it

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I have a tricked out Fatboy that I ride around town and take short rides on (100 miles). But then my Ultra is for long hauls in comfort. Last year i took my Fatboy on an 800 miles trip with lots of stops and i felt like it was 800 miles. Just uncomfortable.....on my Ultra its tank to tank riding with no wind blasts from semi's like on my fatboy. So many more options available to you on an Ultra. I did a 95 kit with head work and cams and it very runs strong (except for a stupid engine Tick that won't go away). Xm radio, CD player, GPS, CB, Radar, intercom, adjustable driver back rest (get one), air ride suspension and currently building a pull behind trailer for it to do some camping trips. The OL loves it and hates the Fatboy.The one word to really describe an Ultra is Comfort.

·
Registered
125 Posts
mcgofast said:
Lots of 3 day weekends from the Philly area, Like to go down to W.Virginia and north to New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire areas.
Hey MC anything or any reason you go to those places? Anything to do or see. I'm in the DC/Baltimore area and I will ride over to W. VA but haven't been to NY, VT, or NH but interested in going there someday.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I've got an 04 Classic and just love it. I rode an 02 Softtail before this one and would never go back. I choose the Classic because I didn't need all the extras on the Ultra. It works for around town trips and really shines out on the road. The tour trunk is the best thing ever put on a bike. Just throw your junk in and go. Don't have to worry about where to put it. Add the cruise control along with the back rest and hiway pegs crank up some tunes and ride. I've done a week of 400 to 500 mile days with no problems. A couple hundred miles on the Softtail was about all I wanted. For long trips and comfort you can't beat the Geezer Glide.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I had an '89 Ultra after a Sporty and a Superglide over the course of many years and miles.
Traded it in on a new TC88 EG Classic in 2000.
I prefer the Classic as I don't need a CB/intercom and I don't need 4 speaker stereo as I'm not into a radio while riding.
The cruise control was nice once in a while but I don't really miss it.
I didn't care for the hard lowers up front in the summer heat prefering the snap on covers for the engine guards instead kept in the bags for if and when needed.
The Classic came with the tourpac and the black & chrome engine package but less bling overall and less lights to replace bulbs in and that's ok by me.
I got a carb model wanting to keep things simple and reliable.
I hear the FI is great and they do get better fuel mileage but I ride a lot of miles , keep my bikes long term and didn't need the worry of a fuelpump or electrical short causing fuel delivery problems.
Carbs are simple and reliable over the long term.
I've had the '00 EGC for over 6 years and over 100,000 miles now and fully expect to have it another 6 or more years and many many more miles.
Y2K

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
If you like to tour, it's really awfully hard to beat the Ultra. It's got all of the stuff, especially the cruise control, tourpak, lowers, fairing, great radios, intercomm, cb, weather channels and full instruments. I fell in love with them a long time ago.

Hard to beat one for the money, especially with the full radio-electronic package.

Just do it! :)

Oh yeah, get a black one, too. Save $1,000 and have a better-looking bike.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
newultraclassic said:
@gree: @gree: @gree:
And then put that $1000 into the Powertrain. :chopper:

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Well........mines white and they always standout from the rest.:banana:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I didn't choose mine, it chose me! Mine BTW is a Road Glide, not all baggers are electra glides......

Don't try a Road Glide though, you'll hate it........

Besides, it's a secret!

Oh yeah, black is the fastest, everyone knows that!

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I went from a XL883 to a Classic and then a Ultra. I liked the classic, I kept it a year and put 9k on it before getting my Ultra. I kind of wished I would have bought the Ultra to begin with. If you think your going to want cruise and any of the other extras that the Ultra offers, your better off getting a Ultra right off the bat. To me once you've committed to spending the bucks on a Classic why not drop a couple grand more and get the Ultra. Going from the XL883 to the Classic was a piece of cake, to me the Classic was less top heavy feeling and much better at parking lot speed maneuvering.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
March 6th of 05 I bought my first Harley. It's a Black Cherry/Black Pearl Ultra Classic. I was seriously looking at the heritage classic, then my wife chimed in and said if your getting a bike, it better have a large comfortable seat (with a back rest) and an intercom. So, Ultra it was. Haven't had any regrets in 21k miles. :thumbsup:

A friend bought his first harley 3 years ago, a V-rod. Decided he wanted something else and bought a 04 Road King. Then, decided to try the Ultra. Sold the V-Rod and this year added a 06 Screaming Eagle Electraglide which is parked next to the 04 RK and 04 Ultra. The 04 Ultra is the everyday bike and the RK is for sale.

My -2$en#e- ; By the Ultra, I love mine, and in our chapter, Ultra's are by fare the most popular bike.

Mike
98" kit, gear drive, ported heads on the way

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
adlerx said:
I didn't choose mine, it chose me! Mine BTW is a Road Glide, not all baggers are electra glides......

Don't try a Road Glide though, you'll hate it........

Besides, it's a secret!

Oh yeah, black is the fastest, everyone knows that!
All colors are faster than my Glacier White one. All that I want to do is CRUISE.

·
Registered
934 Posts
After taking my Deuce on a just about cross country tour, I came home and traded it for a Classic. Best move I ever made. I have the tour-pac for when I want to go for a trip, the winshield to keep all the wind off of me for those long trips, the comfy seat that I can just eat up the miles on....

Well, that's really all BS. I took off the tour-pac, made it a quick connect, changed the windshield, got a different seat, and still, I have no problem riding all day one it. However, if the Girl wants to tag along, it only takes 2 minutes to put everything back on and make it the factory tourer.

[/IMG]

darrell

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my Ultra in Niovember 04. Previously I had a 98 Fat Boy and my wife a 99 Hugger. We choose the Ultra because we intended to keep the other bikes and use the Ultra for longer trips and liked the intercom, CB and tunes. After our first 75 mile ride, my wife said to sell the other bikes, she was hooked. I've done several 400 to 500 miles days with stock seat/shock set up and enjoyed every mile. I knew that if I bought a model with less toys on it I would be sorry because I've scrimped before and bought less than what I really wanted, and been sorry most every time. It's hard to go wrong with the best!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.