V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 FXSTDI with stage I air breather/filter, remap 'puter, and Hooker steptuned short staggered pipes (no baffles) why am I consistently only getting 36-37 MPG, I don't hot rod the bike or have a heavy throttle hand, or is this normal for "city" driving I was expecting in the low 40's, thanks
Ricardo

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
You don't say how many miles you got on it. I have the "03 Ultra, Stage 1, my milage has improved constantly. I had hoped to break 2500 before winter but it won't happen (snow). Provide a little more info for a better reply.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My '02 Deuce gets shitty gas mileage too! Have'nt run any numbers yet but I find myself at the pumps again after the 100 mile run down the road to the tune of about $4 a fill (approx. $1.60 a gallon, 93 octane) Well that comes to 40 mpg, but that's highway mileage that I assume would be better. I've got the BigSucka a/c kit with stock, baffle-less pipes.:D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
FXDeanX said:
Larger hole=more fuel.
Dean
Any more Fuel, ANY hole'll do!!!
oops, thought ya were talking bar talk there. :D

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
harleygirl64 said:
thought you guys didn't like big holes....
:eek: Diane, could I squeeze a quick paragraph in related to motorcylcles...

...The Duece is advertised as getting nearly 50 mpg, I'd say your mileage should be +/- 50/40 mpg, so I do think you're mileage could be better but, but I'm guessing you probably traded that mileage with the stage 1. If you aren't planning on being "heavy on the throttle" maybe you should consider going back to the stock air and map if the mileage is important to you. I can easily see you losing 5mpg in regular city driving. PS. nice pic....

....ok Diane back to you kid.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I "stole" the avatar from another member who has the same bike, spank me! But my bike looks just like it + I have the badlander seat.
My bike is still new with only 650 miles and all I can get around here is 91 octane "super" the mileage does not bother me I just thought I'd be getting more than 36-37. My previous bike a Honda Shadow got better mileage but had a smaller tank so I was used to stopping every 125-150 miles anyway, just hear these stories about guys with dressers and stage II's hauling all sorts of gear and their ladies and getting 43 mpg+, it just makes me go HMMMMMMMMMMM
Thanks guys
Ricardo

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
If it a spanking you need, check out the lady's lair seems I get one every time I click in there.:D

Your Honda shadow was a 4 cyl. which is far more efficient. I think you will find that when you do regular "long hauls" like the dressers do you will get similar mileage.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Average trip lenght makes a huge difference in fuel mileage, much more so on EFI bikes. Inadecuate pipes very easily confuse MAP signal controlled EFI systems.

Big holes get sold down the river.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts