V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I constantly see threads for engine mods for EGC, RKC SG's the whole FLH family, a bike that is essentially a bike for going slow and enjoying the scenery,and then I constantly see the comment "if you want speed get a crutch rocket", Harleys are not about speed.
I've own many fast bikes in the past,so I don't see the reasoning for making a touring bike go fast, I mean my SG will get to 100 mph pretty fast, and if I stay at that speed the man with lights will ruin my ride. Not putting down anyone that mods for power, pls don't get offended, but I just don't get it.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Because they want to?

Because it's thiers?

Honestly, do you really think this is a sensible question? Man has been trying to go faster on whatever means of transportation they are on, why would a touring bike be different than a softail, Dyna, sporty, or V-rod.

Folks just want to get the most out of what they ride. Do I think it's a bit funny to take the heaviest bike made, and then try to make it fast?? A little, I guess. But you must not be the kind of person that likes to tinker around with something, because I know I get an itch if my bike stays the same for more than a month or so.

Just how it is, and it's worse in bad weather!:beer:

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
... the whole FLH family, a bike that is essentially a bike for going slow and enjoying the scenery....:
:confused:

We still like to get to the scenery fast, power up the mountains\pass cars without downshifting.

It's still a MOTORCYCLE for goodness sake, we still want to have FUN!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe we are in denial and because we have an FLH we need to just putt around?

NOT

:confused:

It's still a MOTORCYCLE for goodness sake

Or are you just trying to stir the pot?

rkc

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read my OP not trying to stir anything, I truly don't get it, is it just about tinkering , or is it bragging rights, or showing your buddies the dyno sheet. You can't get past 70mph with pipes because the man will make you pay..........I'm trying to understand the whole culture behind adding power to a bike made slow for a purpose. Then when someone mentions that HD should make a powerful liquid cool engine like the VRod and put it on the FLH everyone jumps all over the writer, with the famous "if you want fast don't buy a Harley" so which one is it ?

·
Registered
597 Posts
LOL, while I never questioned why others do it, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the slow ride for now and not put hundreds if not thousands of bucks into my bike to make it go faster...at least for now!

Come the 100,000 mile mark when I suspect she'd be ready for a rebuild or something (like I know what I'm talking about here - I have no clue!) then I'll look at upgrading things.

For now, the only thing that comes to mind is upgrading the clutch or at least a stronger spring or something. I still have not gotten used to trying to get this heavy beast off the starting line without riding the clutch and it's starting to get worse. Nothing like the wide glide I had before this which was around 300 lbs less.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I think that with Harley's in particular, the fact that you can make these modifications is a big reason that people do them. That can be a blessing and a curse (curse in terms of money :whistle:).

You are going to find that people fall within a pretty large spectrum., regardless of the HD model. Some make no mods, some light mods, and some heavy mods. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how much performance you want. I am more in the middle, but I can definitely see why riders are on either side of the spectrum.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I guess it is like the tee shirt says, "If you have to ask you, you wouldn't understand!" I've always liked H-Ds and like long distance riding so I have a bagger. It has a 120" upgrade and I enjoy the feeling of acceleration. It's personal, I don't care to race anyone. I don't display anything that indicates it's a 120, I don't really talk about it to anyone. Like the earlier post says I like to tinker and try and improve what the factory does. I used to be the same way with cars. Actually, it is fairly fast at 130/130 (ish).

·
Registered
291 Posts
My current bike is a 03 RoadKing with +116k miles on a stock 88" engine. I am doing a Big Bore 95" on it this winter. :woohoo:
This engine is still smaller than your (the OP's) stock engine.

Look around the forum, there are many gearheads here. We do this because we can and we enjoy it! Most of use were around in the 60's & 70's, we had muscle cars and we did this to our cars as well. I guess you could say; "It is how we roll!" :redrolf:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
there are hunders of threads like this out there. Really, just no need for another, other than just being difficult.

If you've really had many fast bikes, then you should understand the attraction of pushing the envelope.

Hey, I go to the track all the time, and I am not sure I get the turbo diesel trucks running 16's down the 1/4 mile. But it's their dime, I don't need to understand.

Well, actually, I do. As I stated, it's just the need for folks to get the most out of whatever it is they own. No more complicated than that.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I guess it is like the tee shirt says, "If you have to ask you, you wouldn't understand!" I've always liked H-Ds and like long distance riding so I have a bagger. It has a 120" upgrade and I enjoy the feeling of acceleration. It's personal, I don't care to race anyone. I don't display anything that indicates it's a 120, I don't really talk about it to anyone. Like the earlier post says I like to tinker and try and improve what the factory does. I used to be the same way with cars. Actually, it is fairly fast at 130/130 (ish).
I'm asking because I'm trying to understand, in my younger years I had a GPZ750 I modified it to got even faster, but it was a performance bike made with the whole purpose going fast even though they handle like crap, and we all wanted to go faster yet, but it has never occur to me to add power to a 900 sled design to tour. Don't get me wrong I love speed I have a 07 Vette that is far stock stock, but again is sports car, it wouldn't never occur to me to put a cam in my Town & Country.
I've been on Harleys for 13 years all baggers, till I started reading the threads in this forum I hadn't realized how many people did engine mods to FLH's I know a lot guys with Fatboys, and Dynas that really rock, but not baggers, and they all tell me the same, "why modify a bagger" other than bling.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
well,

the next time you twist the throttle, think: "wouldn't it be nice if I had more power?"

rkc

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did to be different, to make it my own. Not for bragging rights. Plus I came off a 08 Hayabusa and the dealership didnt want me to be dissapointed (joking). This is my first Harley I owned. The stock 103 motor is nice, but after mods I did, just made me like even more. Now I have about the same TQ my hayabusa did and half the HP lol.

I love baggers. Everyone I see is different, and so far they all have some sort of aftermarket engine mod done to them, from exhaust to a different intake.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Basically, we are just doing what Harley should have done in the first place. An 900 lb bike putting out 70 HP is just pitiful. These heavy bikes need a big powerful engine. I never could understand why Harley put the same engine in every big twin.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Because I don't always just putt around. Sometimes I like to twist the wick and feel the power.

Not to mention for passing, getting out of sticky situations, etc.. when you need lots of power, right freakin' now.

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Who says a bagger needs to be slow? I tell you what, my bike toured the country the way many baggers never do.. There are some flat out boring super slabs that get you from nice riding spot to nice riding spot.. Being able to cruis at 90-100MPH and still roll the throttle for more makes those parts more entertaining.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Read my OP not trying to stir anything, I truly don't get it, is it just about tinkering , or is it bragging rights, or showing your buddies the dyno sheet. You can't get past 70mph with pipes because the man will make you pay..........I'm trying to understand the whole culture behind adding power to a bike made slow for a purpose. Then when someone mentions that HD should make a powerful liquid cool engine like the VRod and put it on the FLH everyone jumps all over the writer, with the famous "if you want fast don't buy a Harley" so which one is it ?
Lol not trying to stir anything....lol right

for myself, I build my ride the way I want to, for myself not to impress someone else. I love to tinker and to crack the throttle and feel the little extra puts a smile to my face.
If the bike came from the factory with 130 hp, I would sooner or later be doing things to get more HP out of it

·
Registered
136 Posts
And if I liked a mini van as much as I do bikes, I would totally throw a big ass V8 in it and pimp it out.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
If the bike came from the factory with 130 hp, I would sooner or later be doing things to get more HP out of it[/QUOTE]

Amen! :clap:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
If the bike came from the factory with 130 hp, I would sooner or later be doing things to get more HP out of it
Amen! :clap:[/QUOTE]

Testify!:woohoo:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm aligned with Tequila on this one. I find it amusing that people build up baggers but I do understand. My EG is bone stock and quiet. Not that I don't like speed and noise, I raced bikes for years but I just choose to enjoy the bagger for comfort and mostly 2 up riding. My Dyna makes noise but has no mods other than a breather kit so its not very fast either.
I always chuckle when the "Harley Only" drag races are advertized. Of course they would be "Harley Only" any other brand with over 500cc's would blow the Harleys away.
Its all good though. People ride for different reasons and getting a little extra out of what you bought is always satisfying. Just think how boring it would be if everyone kept their rides box stock. I love looking at the mods people make to their rides and enjoy a discussion on added performance.
You can go to any local Bike night and see Choppers with huge horsepower that have no riding appeal at all to me but they sure are beautiful. I doubt I would ride one farther than 15 miles if you were shooting at me!
Some like the wrenching as much or more than the riding and for those folks I am grateful, I enjoy seeing their work and they appreciate the recognition, me, I just want to ride and if I want to ride fast again I will add a Ducatti, and leave the Harleys as they are but thats just me, I do understand.
CG

1 - 20 of 94 Posts