V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have SERT software version 4.5.0. The cells in the AFR table can not be set at 14.0. 13.9 and 14.1 are possible, but the software skips over 14.0. I'm just curious if there is a know reason for this? The manual does not mention this restriction.:huh:

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
rtb said:
I have SERT software version 4.5.0. The cells in the AFR table can not be set at 14.0. 13.9 and 14.1 are possible, but the software skips over 14.0. I'm just curious if there is a know reason for this? The manual does not mention this restriction.:huh:
rtb, what are you using to monitor afr?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I believe that software only gives an incremental change of 2 as the smallest choice possible. Since the canned map is at 14.5.you end up going to 14.3 then 14.1 then 13.9 as you have discovered. No real "reason" . Set it at 13.9 . It's a target only and enrichment or enleanment should be done in the VE tables anyway.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
claybal...I'm not monitoring AFR. Just using the SERT to affect the value that the ECM is trying to obtain.
SYCLONE...actually with the 4.5.0 code that I have it is possible to use increment/decrement values of .1, so I can get to even and odd values (i.e. 13.8, 13.9, 14.1, 14.2...etc). But thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
rtb said:
rtb: Good question! I've checked 4.1.2 and 4.5.2, and they react the same.

Not sure, but this might be related to what is happening:

In order to prevent round-off errors, Tuning Mode manipulates the ‘raw’ binary table values behind the scenes, and only displays the scaled result of the changes to the user.

Note the usage of the term ‘Units’. Because Tuning Mode is manipulating the raw data behind the scenes, units refers to the amount of change applied to the raw values. The result of this change is then scaled and displaying as a value we humans easily understand, such as Timing Degrees or Volumetric Efficiency percent.
Again, this is a guess. Hopefully one of the experts here will chime in with a good explanation.

:hmmm:

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WVRDKING...hmmm, you could be correct though I'm not sure if I completely understand what you are trying to say. From what you are saying I would expect other values to also not be available? Anyway, I appreciate your response and this of little more importance than idle curiosity. If there is never a complete answer it don't matter much. I posted the question after searching for an answer and was suprised that, so far as I can tell, the topic never came up.
Happy Holidays to all!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
rtb said:
WVRDKING...hmmm, you could be correct though I'm not sure if I completely understand what you are trying to say. From what you are saying I would expect other values to also not be available? Anyway, I appreciate your response and this of little more importance than idle curiosity. If there is never a complete answer it don't matter much. I posted the question after searching for an answer and was suprised that, so far as I can tell, the topic never came up.
Happy Holidays to all!
rtb: As I stated, this was merely a guess after searching the SERT Manual and Help Files. If it was only giving these results in one version, then I would guess a programming error.

I'm as curious as you since it doesn't make sense to this SERT FNG that a mid-point setting would not be allowed.

Once Santa drops off the SERT for full time fun, I'll be diving into the Data Record Mode in hopes of taking advantage of this beast.

Steve Cole could easily give the reason, but haven't seen him here in a while.

Springer gave an excellent intro to the SERT earlier, but there seems to be a lack of interest and/or knowledge in diagnosing info from the DR Mode and improving drivability for those without access to a good SERT/Dyno.

%[email protected]

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
claydbal said:
oh, so it is a reference point and not an actual afr? sorry, i misinterpreted.
The AFR table in the SERT is a set of target values, they really don't do anything directly that I have seen. The actual AFR is adjusted in the VE tables for the front and rear cylinders. You need to monitor the exhaust with a AFR/oxygen sensor to determine actual values and adjust the VE tables from there. In my case, I have a realtime AFR gauge and O2 sensor mounted on my motor. Then we can compare my setup with the dyno AFR sniffer when I'm on the dyno. One other comment, In the Contants page were you can tell the software the displacement of the motor and the injector size, you can "globally" affect the injector pulse width by changing these contants. For example, as I recall, VE runs out at 127%. So, if you are running a bigger inch motor and you need more fuel, you can fake out the software by telling it it's bigger than it really is so you can get some headroom on the VE tables.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.