V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new '05 Deuce last May. Curious to know why this bike is called this. Asked at the stealer, no one knew. Did a search here, no luck. Not knowing is starting to keep me up at night. Any guesses?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Because "King" is already taken (Road King), and if they called it the "Queen", it might cut into sales. Though, the sale of leather accessories might go up some.

BillS
 

·
In disguise
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
I think it's because the Deuce (Deuce = slang for 2) is considered the second generation of the Softail Custom. A catchier name than "Softail 2".
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
The HD marketing guys were simply trying to evoke the memory of that unsurpassed road machine, the mid-1970's Electra 225, known by it's numerous and devoted afficianados as the "deuce and a quarter" ...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
~!Awesome! Like the name of all Harleys, it's cool, marketers don't need a reason other than sounding cool. Probably no reason. Road King, electra glide, fatboy, deuce, sportster, low rider, wide glide, all very, very cool. Some of the names come from some meaning, others probably not. BTW, what images does "fatboy" evoke? :roflback:

Lefty
'05 Fatboy (Jolene - I call her my fatgirl)
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Ok this brings to mind the Eddie Money song, "Blinded by the Light". Now is the lyric in the song "wrapped up like a deuce" or is it "wrapped up like a douche". I sure would like to know.
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
Because "King" is already taken (Road King), and if they called it the "Queen", it might cut into sales. Though, the sale of leather accessories might go up some.

BillS
Austin,
Are you implying that anyone riding on a Deuce is really riding on the Road King's bit*h? :laugh: %[email protected]
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,242 Posts
timbo said:
Ok this brings to mind the Eddie Money song, "Blinded by the Light". Now is the lyric in the song "wrapped up like a deuce" or is it "wrapped up like a douche". I sure would like to know.
Maybe you mean the Bruce Springsteen song sung by Manfred Mann's Earth Band and contains the lyrics "Cut loose like a deuce"?
 

·
'05 Road King Classic
Joined
·
806 Posts
... and don't forget the old time way of expressing wonder or amazement: "What the duece?" I never could figure that one out but we all knew what it meant just the same.

Dennis E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of the answers offered here have been interesting, amusing, and just plain disturbing. So, I just went ahead and dropped a dime and spoke with Michelle at MOCO's Customer Relations looking for the answer. She put me on hold, and checked with someone who's been with HD "for a lotta years".
And the answer is...............
Turns out that when the Deuce was to be introduced, a bunch of marketing types were all sitting around a table, trying to come up with a name. One of them "threw out" the name Deuce, and it stuck . Simple as that.
Good call Lefty.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Deuce Mayhem said:
Some of the answers offered here have been interesting, amusing, and just plain disturbing. So, I just went ahead and dropped a dime and spoke with Michelle at MOCO's Customer Relations looking for the answer. She put me on hold, and checked with someone who's been with HD "for a lotta years".
And the answer is...............
Turns out that when the Deuce was to be introduced, a bunch of marketing types were all sitting around a table, trying to come up with a name. One of them "threw out" the name Deuce, and it stuck . Simple as that.
Good call Lefty.
And here's the rest of the story: Just beforehand, the head of Marketing got up and excused himself to use the head. As he pushed his chair away from the conference table, he was heard to say; "Gotta Deuce, back in 5". And now you know, the rest of the story - and the Deuce was born that historic day.
 

·
XLIII
Joined
·
10,078 Posts
Born is an apt description, as legend has it that the head of Marketing was a real fan of cheese (not unlike TomB) and had overindulged the night before.
Bound up by the excess cheese as he was, with it having assumed a breech position, it was a difficult birth, at best...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Born is an apt description, as legend has it that the head of Marketing was a real fan of cheese (not unlike TomB) and had overindulged the night before.
Bound up by the excess cheese as he was, with it having assumed a breech position, it was a difficult birth, at best...


Is that why Harleys have a "lumpy" idle???
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
springer- said:
Maybe you mean the Bruce Springsteen song sung by Manfred Mann's Earth Band and contains the lyrics "Cut loose like a deuce"?
:laugh: Your exactly right Springer. I don't know where I got Eddie Money from!:hmmm:
 

·
05 Deuce
Joined
·
263 Posts
I heard too that it was because they are the 2nd generation Softail custom.
Some say also because of the two different wheels on the bike. I myself like the name, and of course my Deuce.
You're right about some of the responses you'll see for no matter what the question is. Just goes to show you the different sense of humors out there.
I appreciate this forum for the input and tech info, and sometimes you just have to overlook the silly and moronic replies. Congrats on being a new Deuce owner.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Born is an apt description, as legend has it that the head of Marketing was a real fan of cheese (not unlike TomB) and had overindulged the night before.
Bound up by the excess cheese as he was, with it having assumed a breech position, it was a difficult birth, at best...
That is expected, they were also Packer's fans too. :roflback:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
timbo said:
:laugh: Your exactly right Springer. I don't know where I got Eddie Money from!:hmmm:

I think in this song( and I know there's another one out there with your original lyrics of "wrapped up like a deuce"), "deuce" is refering to a two barreled carb, which was(is) a performance upgrade.

With that being said, HD should have put two carbs on the Deuce models. That would be pretty sweet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
That is expected, they were also Packer's fans too. :roflback:

And don't forget beer, lot and lots of beer!:beer4u:
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top