V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last evening I had to deliver products to a couple of good customers.... loaded up in the bags...bailed my shop. Probably about 5:30 pm. Hit the local cross town freeway...just before sunset. From this freeways foothill location, I could probably see 20 -30 miles away. The temp was probably 72-78 degrees. T-shirt weather. Absolutely the nicest weather i've felt in weeks. The wind earlier in the day totally blew away all the clouds & haze. Blasted out to the car pool lanes where traffic kept a 60-75 MPH pace. As the sun set, the lights of the valley sparkled in the distance. Everybody rushing to get wherever it is they're going and me just cruising, diggin' the ride. Got to my destination probably 15 miles later.Took care of the business and then kicked it and had a cold one. Later... back on the freeway, maybe just a bit cooler but every bit as spectacular the view. No Smog, the traffic had went away. While it was not a long distance, it was just what was needed to unwind and relax at the end of a good day. Maybe other So. Cal. residents can echo what was a bitchen Halloween evening. In answer to another post of why.....This is why I ride a Harley! Long, Short, or in between...it's all about the ride. Later...

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Sounds mighty nice! While you were cruising, my wife and I were handing out candy... our dog had his little glow-in-the-dark skeleton costume on.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I can't agree with you more. The last few days here have been great. I wish it would stay that way all winter. Now we are gonna have to put up with those cold 70* days :laugh: I have lived here all my life and love it. I plan on moving in the next few years but only out to the hills of San Diego instead of living in the city. I love being able to ride year round. I even ride when it rains as I can park my bike in the building at work. You can't beat it.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
1bdBagr said:
Last evening I had to deliver products to a couple of good customers.... loaded up in the bags...bailed my shop. Probably about 5:30 pm. Hit the local cross town freeway...just before sunset. From this freeways foothill location, I could probably see 20 -30 miles away. The temp was probably 72-78 degrees. T-shirt weather. Absolutely the nicest weather i've felt in weeks. The wind earlier in the day totally blew away all the clouds & haze. Blasted out to the car pool lanes where traffic kept a 60-75 MPH pace. As the sun set, the lights of the valley sparkled in the distance. Everybody rushing to get wherever it is they're going and me just cruising, diggin' the ride. Got to my destination probably 15 miles later.Took care of the business and then kicked it and had a cold one. Later... back on the freeway, maybe just a bit cooler but every bit as spectacular the view. No Smog, the traffic had went away. While it was not a long distance, it was just what was needed to unwind and relax at the end of a good day. Maybe other So. Cal. residents can echo what was a bitchen Halloween evening. In answer to another post of why.....This is why I ride a Harley! Long, Short, or in between...it's all about the ride. Later...

Glad you still like it. There were only about 100,000 people in the S.F. Valley when I came on the scene in the late 1950's Talk about paradise! It's a little more crowded now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
All you folks from those nice sunny year round riding places like SoCal, Arizona etc... You guys (and gals) really piss me off. I hate you all and you can kiss my ass.

It was 15 degrees here today and the wind was blowing 30 mph. We've already had two snows and MUCH MUCH more is on the way.

BTW, just kidding about being pissed and hating you all. And guys, I would rather you didn't kiss my ass. However, the invitation stands for the ladies though, make it a french kiss.

I'm envious and wish could afford to lived in So-Cal.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
When I got out of the Marines in '72 after being stationed at Pendleton I lived in Tustin for about nine months and used to borrow a friends Honda 350 to ride around the L.A. basin and it was the first motorcycle I ever rode and was hooked forever. :chopper:
Nine months of living there and one day I stepped out on the balcony of the apartment I lived in and was blown away that during the night they went and put up an entire range of mountains to the north that I never saw before. I found out later that they were always there just hidden behind the smog :blink: the smog from too many people. Did I say too many people? :confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last night was pretty nice. Me and a friend sat out on the porch and handed out candy while our wives took our kids out and begged the neighbors for their candy.

That's the trade off......it can be pretty expensive. If Uncle Sam didn't help pay the rent I sure as heck wouldn't be here.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
AK Roadking said:
All you folks from those nice sunny year round riding places like SoCal, Arizona etc... You guys (and gals) really piss me off. I hate you all and you can kiss my ass.

It was 15 degrees here today and the wind was blowing 30 mph. We've already had two snows and MUCH MUCH more is on the way.

BTW, just kidding about being pissed and hating you all. And guys, I would rather you didn't kiss my ass. However, the invitation stands for the ladies though, make it a french kiss.

Alaska isn't all that cheap either, though--at least not in Anchorage. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area now and the weather was equally nice up here albeit a couple of degrees cooler, but man, what a great night to be out on the bike!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Alot of people refer to California as the smoggy rat-race land of fruits and nuts, but they don't mean that in a bad way. LOL

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
...during the night they went and put up an entire range of mountains to the north that I never saw before.
LOL....how long was it before you saw Saddleback for the first time?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
AK Roadking said:

Well, look at it this way....everybody's go to be somewhere. At any rate, I simply cannot stand snow and ice. I was a poor sucker when I was a kid in Chicago and all I had was a Harley 45 to get around on. I can recall riding to school on the Harley and waiting at a stop light in the exhaust of a bus so that I could keep warm in the 20 deg. weather. No thanks.

Basically I left when I found out where I was. :)

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
duhast said:
LOL....how long was it before you saw Saddleback for the first time?
Was that Saddleback?:unsure:

All I remember was the apartment balcony faced the west and the Interstate was about a 1/4 mile west. There was about five of us former Marines using the place as a crash pad.
After living there at least a couple of months I walked out on the balcony on morning after it rained the night before and almost broke my neck doing a double take at the new mountain range. :yikes:

SoCal is a great place to ride from about 3AM-5AM when the roads are empty. I don't mind the weather up here. At least it changes and you can always dress to stay warm but you can only undress so much and stay out of jail. :D

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
AK Roadking said:
:roflback:

Martin64 said:
That's the trade off......it can be pretty expensive. If Uncle Sam didn't help pay the rent I sure as heck wouldn't be here.
Pretty expensive??? The median price of a house was reported at $618,000 this month!!! :yikes:

Jams said:
SoCal is a great place to ride from about 3AM-5AM when the roads are empty.
Not any more. The roads are packed 7/24! #@SasF#

The weather and scenery is great here, but, everything else pretty much is a disaster...

I'm moving to Texas the first chance I get... hehe

E

·
Registered
335 Posts
Here, here. It was 85 and sunny today...again. 11% humidity. Man, it's a pain always having to remember your sunglasses! Been 80's all week. And last week, and next week.

But we do suffer when January rolls around. Only 65-70. I usually have to wear a jacket. Brrrr.

:thumbsup:

:Banadance

:chopper:

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
Was that Saddleback?
Well,...not sure what you saw.

Saddleback is the extremely local peak maybe 10 miles to the east. If what you saw was of to the northish and fairly distant, and pretty big, that was the San Gabriel range...including Mt Wilson and Mt. Baldy.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
It was northish about 20-25 miles I would say. But remember this was early seventies and we barely invented the word "smog"

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm moving to Texas the first chance I get
I don't believe I'll be here much longer either. I retire in about 32 months and I'm originally from NoCal (Ukiah).....not that I plan on moving back up there either. Though about Vegas but too many people. Thinking about somewhere in Arizona or maybe northern Nevada.....not sure just where yet, just not here unless someone offers me alot of money to do a whole lotta nothing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wanna Trade???

I'll trade lock stock & barrel all my real estate interest in Alaska for equal value in Sedona Arizona. Anybody interested?

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
AK Roadking said:
I'll trade lock stock & barrel all my real estate interest in Alaska for equal value in Sedona Arizona. Anybody interested?
How long will it take you to dig out? hehe

E :hystria:

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
It was northish about 20-25 miles I would say.
Then that was the San Gabriels...except they're closer to 50 miles away. On really clear days they look about 5. Visually, all the way to the left end of them is the Santa Monica/San Fernando end of them, while to the right is the Cajon Pass/Victorville area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts