V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there I was riding along when I came up behind five riders. Three were on FX's and I think two were on wanabes, I couldn't tell for sure. Anyway we come to a light and I pull up in the left lane 'cause I'm gonna make a left. They are in the right lane so I'm now beside them. Now get this, it's a beautiful day, we aren't at work, we all are on our motorcycles, I mean it doesn't get much better right? I'm smiling (inside my full face helmet) and look over to wave and notice they all have this badass, mad at the world, look on their faces. They look at me and then look back ahead. I wasn't on my HD but still...So I don't wave and look ahead with a badass look on my face too. 'Course they can't see it.
My question is this; how can anyone *not* be elated when riding a motorcycle especially on a beautiful day? Or, were they truly happy but want to make sure they don't show it? And if so, why?

Rick

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
OFFS! ....just ride, who cares? Did you not enjoy *your* ride?

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
MC dickheads is what you call that. Usually when I'm in a group of bikers, we jam to Josh's new radio. Don't have time to think about being mad at the world. The only time I give the "mad at the world face" is when I have some old fart staring me down, cause his parents didn't raise him right.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Some guys probably have low self esteem and they think they have to fit into some type of bad ass image or something. We all see them out there at times, (get over it its a friggen motorcycle for frigs sake!!!). I wouldn't worry about it, they are the minority. Most motorcyclists would've shown you a little courtesy. At least you did to them.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
What I have found is, a winner doesnt care. He is on his mission. If they want to be one up on you, they gonna have to work real hard.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Ridewv said:
So, there I was riding along when I came up behind five riders. Three were on FX's and I think two were on wanabes, I couldn't tell for sure. Anyway we come to a light and I pull up in the left lane 'cause I'm gonna make a left. They are in the right lane so I'm now beside them. Now get this, it's a beautiful day, we aren't at work, we all are on our motorcycles, I mean it doesn't get much better right? I'm smiling (inside my full face helmet) and look over to wave and notice they all have this badass, mad at the world, look on their faces. They look at me and then look back ahead. I wasn't on my HD but still...So I don't wave and look ahead with a badass look on my face too. 'Course they can't see it.
My question is this; how can anyone *not* be elated when riding a motorcycle especially on a beautiful day? Or, were they truly happy but want to make sure they don't show it? And if so, why?

Rick
The same thing happened to me last weekend. I had been following a Yellow CVO Road Glide for a few miles. When I pulled up alongside of him at a stop light, I leaned over and said "Nice Bike":.....I sure like the color"......He just gave me a dirty look and pulled away when the light changed about ten seconds later. Screw him. I'll never do that again.

:(

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
They bought themselves into being a badass. the next step is to start a club with rules and special hand shakes. I think it's fun to wave at people like this like I know them, hello hand wave give it a try and watch them really take a double look at you. I almost fell off my bike the first time I did it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
"We Bad" syndrome, it's a symtom of 'Dickheadnewbikerwannabe' strain. Shows more domimant when in numbers, but can also rarely show up singularly. A side is "we'll kick your ass, but if you kick ours, our lawyers will sue you into oblivion". Screw 'em, just ride on...

·
Registered
935 Posts
newultraclassic said:
The same thing happened to me last weekend. I had been following a Yellow CVO Road Glide for a few miles. When I pulled up alongside of him at a stop light, I leaned over and said "Nice Bike":.....I sure like the color"......He just gave me a dirty look and pulled away when the light changed about ten seconds later. Screw him. I'll never do that again.

I get aggravated when people do that. The bike is loud, I have ear plugs in, and I can't read lips... "What!?" :blurpan:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Newultraclassic,
That guy should have had the courtesy to say "thanks man" or "appreciate it". Correct me if I'm wrong......if that was a single lane at that light is it not imrpoper to pull up beside a bike that has the lane. I've been told riding rules say that you should not crowd a formation of bikes nor try to join them...and also not to pull up beside another bike who has the postion at the light. Does not excuse bad manners on his part though.

As for the 5 "Bad asses" at the turn with Ridewv....they are the ones missing out on a great day. One of the best parts of a really nice day on your Harley, imo, is that super great mood it puts you in....just potato, potato, potatoing down the road.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
newultraclassic said:

Maybe he knew what you do for a living?....Sorry, I couldn't resist:hystria:

·
Registered
755 Posts
newultraclassic said:

just a guess...but "Nice Bike":.....I sure like the color" could sound like a compliment...or it could sound like you were making fun of him. probably depends how insecure the dude is about having a yellow bike.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Was headed out of Sturgis this past year headed down to Hot Springs, SD south of Rapid City. Noticed a fellow coming up behind me with his headlight turned off. When he pulled up beside me at the next stop light I advised him that he didn't have his headlight on...he said "yeah, what ever"..and roared off ahead of me. Well, made a quick stop at a local "stop and rob" and was back on the road. Few miles down the road I rounder a curve I see a local LEO had him stopped and was at the front of the bike pointing at his headlight.

Yeah, what ever!!!!!

o~\o

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thunderhog said:
Maybe he knew what you do for a living?....Sorry, I couldn't resist:hystria:
cudda been the two leather briefcases NUC uses for side bags that gave him away....hahahha sorry NUC....

·
Registered
901 Posts
I tend to wave at other bikes regardless of make/model. (And when my kids are on the back I've taught them to wave too).

When I'm reading my $30K+ FLSTCI with custom paint, and mucho mucho skulls and chrome I tend to get a return wave and occasionally an additional nod or smile. I am almost universally highly respected in that circumstance (apparently).

But when I wave when I'm riding my Honda XR650L I tend to get the "screw you wannabe" look. Doesn't make me mad - but it tells me something about the caliber of the person I was waving at. (I always wonder if they'd act differently if I was on the Other Bike.....hmmmm)

Then again, when I'm driving my truck out on the backroads close to home I tend to give oncoming cars the lift-the-right-index-finger-off-the-top-of-the-steering-wheel wave too.

For me, waving at somebody isn't about "brotherhood with fellow riders" (or just HD riders). Its just saying "Hey there - I see you. Have a good one".

Obviously not everyone feels that way. Whatever. I'll wave because it makes me feel good to be friendly. How wave-ees receive or interpret that is up them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts