V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
In most bikes, the pistons are mounted on the crank with two pins, 180 degrees from each other. On an HD, they are mounted on the SAME pin, so that instead of going bang pause bang pause it goes bang bang pause pause pause bang bang pause pause pause.

Probably not nearly as efficient, but it is a 100 year old design, after all. It sure does sound nice though!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
You're not asking or recruiting but you are trying to take issue with the claim that HD is the standard in the marketplace for big twin cruisers in which everyone else is measured against. To take issue with this is laughable as every MC company has tried to copy HD. This is self evident. If you can't see this or refuse to, my statement holds true. If we have to expain it, you wouldn't understand. :beatdh:

END

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Some Guy said:
In most bikes, the pistons are mounted on the crank with two pins, 180 degrees from each other. On an HD, they are mounted on the SAME pin, so that instead of going bang pause bang pause it goes bang bang pause pause pause bang bang pause pause pause.

Probably not nearly as efficient, but it is a 100 year old design, after all. It sure does sound nice though!
This is one of the best answers I've ever heard about our sound. I can finally explain this chit to my friends and not have them look at me with a "?".

SomeGuy said:
instead of going bang pause bang pause it goes bang bang pause pause pause bang bang pause pause pause.
This is freaking great!!! potato-potato-potato-potato
:thanks: :thanks:

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Anthony8858 said:
As a first time HD owner, I have to satify my curiousity.

Why does the HD engine idle so rough?

Of course it runs nicely once you accelerate, but why not at idle?

Can someone explain this?

I've been riding since the 70's and I've never noticed it.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
vtxjosh said:
I'm sure it did look as good.
We're sure that you're sure...........but none of the rest of us are!:flames:

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
:hmmm:
Rock_Steady said:
You ever notice that everything is compared to a Harley?
1. "Looks just like a Harley"
2. "Sounds almost like a Harley"
3. "Has more horse power than a Harley"

Noticing a pattern? Forget the metrics. Just purchase the standard.~!Awesome!

Not only that, but how many times have you been asked, once someone found out that you had a motorcycle, "Is it a Harley?" For me - 100%. No one has ever asked me, "Do you have a Suzuki?" or "Do you have a Kawasaki?"

·
Registered
227 Posts
Actually, the primary forces are balanced with the crank counter weight. Also the common crank pin design means there are no primary or secondary moment imbalances. However, there is a large secondary force imbalance, occurring at twice engine speed. This comes from two large pistons and rods swing on a long stroke at nearly the same time instead of opposite each other. This shakes the engine up and down. And there is the uneven firing order, rocking the engine about its axis in a rythym. At higher engine speeds, this imbalance exceeds the natural frequency of the rubber mounts and the frame, so you don't really feel it............

Or just tell your friends that the Harley was designed to vibrate at the natural frequency of a women's clit. They'll probably like that explanation better! Who says engineers don't make cool products!! Just ask the last woman you gave a ride too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Shake Rattle and Role

Jeeeez guys, its a friggen Harley, Of course its going to shake / Vibrate. I can't believe this is actually an discussion.
BTW. The potato-potato-potato sound is because of the head-design of the 'pre-Evo's'.(Shovel's, Pan's and Knuckles) For some reason people not-in-the-know try to imitate that sound by idling their motor's too low. :spank: You will NEVER get the potato-potato from an Evo or Twin-Cam.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
79 Posts
dmax said:
Actually, the primary forces are balanced with the crank counter weight. Also the common crank pin design means there are no primary or secondary moment imbalances. However, there is a large secondary force imbalance, occurring at twice engine speed. This comes from two large pistons and rods swing on a long stroke at nearly the same time instead of opposite each other. This shakes the engine up and down. And there is the uneven firing order, rocking the engine about its axis in a rythym. At higher engine speeds, this imbalance exceeds the natural frequency of the rubber mounts and the frame, so you don't really feel it............

Or just tell your friends that the Harley was designed to vibrate at the natural frequency of a women's clit. They'll probably like that explanation better! Who says engineers don't make cool products!! Just ask the last woman you gave a ride too.

I was suprised to see know one mentioned this earlier in the replies.

stock twin cam has a 3.75 inch bore and a 4 inch stroke, that is a very long stroke in a bike motor, most cars today dont have that big of bore or stroke.

·
4142 Tool Steel Balls
106 Posts
I'm sure it did look as good.
I know people who talk trash about my RKC just as they did my shovel. I just laugh and look at my bike. I also catch them looking at my bike all the time. If however I talk trash about their bikes, they get their panties in a bunch...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts