V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All dyno's are taken from Dewey's website http://www.deweyspegs.com/dynos.html and all contain the following common components:

Cams: Andrews 37G
Pistons: Wiseco Flat-tops
Displacement: 95"
Porting: Dewey's Pro-Street Heads
Compression: 9.8:1
EFI Tuning: Powercommander III
Tuning Shop: Piper Performance Racing in Richland TX

The Rineharts seem to perform just as well as the VH ProPipe and the D&D FatCats which are suposedly superior 2-1 pipes:huh:

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milehog said:
You ever seen a set of Reinharts after their tips turn purple? Yuck.
I think you missed the point:hystria:

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
No, I didn't miss the point. There have been fitment issues and in some cases documented power losses with Reinharts. I chose to address aesthetics. :roflback:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess they're luck of the draw...

I havent had any fitment issues, my tips are still black, and since I rarely ride my scoot on a dyno (I prefer the highway myself) I could care less about the "numbers".

I have had them on every Harley I've ever owned, and personally, I won't even consider any other pipe.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
huze120 said:
I guess they're luck of the draw...

I havent had any fitment issues, my tips are still black, and since I rarely ride my scoot on a dyno (I prefer the highway myself) I could care less about the "numbers".

I have had them on every Harley I've ever owned, and personally, I won't even consider any other pipe.
How many's that?
I didn't even know they made them for Sportsters...

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Actually, they do make them for Sportsters. I was checking them out for RoadCat's bike. I like the Rineharts on my RK. I have no idea about performance other than what others have posted but on my bike, and by the seat of the pants experience, I think they run just fine and my bike has plenty of power. I have the 95" BB kit in mine so that probably makes some difference but it ran ok before that too. For reference, I am a big guy at 270 lbs so I need all the power I can get :D.

I also have a theory about the "torque loss" that is associated with these pipes...Back in the day we all used to run straight drags. We liked the sound and the look and by design we sacrificed a tiny bit of low end power for high end power as the power band moved slightly upward. This was totally acceptable and probably more common than not. It seems to me we have the same thing going on with the true duals. They seem to flow similarly to the old drag pipes and which likely gives them similar performace characteristics. Honestly, if I could run a set of Cycle Shack drags on my RK I would do it. I have run those on some of my other bikes and they always performed to my liking. At any rate, as far as my butt is concerned the Rineharts share many of the same characteristics of the "old-school" drag pipes we all used to run. They look good, sound good, and give similar performance. There may be pipes out there that other folks like better for one reason or another but personally, I am happy with them (for now, ;)).

P.S. I have not experienced any of the fitment or cracking issues that a few others have reported. My tips are turning purple but they look kind of cool again the Pearl White. I have contacted Bub and they were very accommodating and basically said to call them if I want to replace them. That's good enough for me. YMMV.

P.S.S. I have seen cracked pipes from just about every pipe manufacturer known to man (cars, trucks, bikes). There are many reasons why this happens and it usually has to do with the way they are mounted - i.e. hard mounts on a flexible/vibrating part - either due to design flaw or install flaw. It's metal tubing, it will break if not handled properly. The best you can hope for is that the manufacturer stands behind their product.

Peace out.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
They are overpriced, have fitments problems, have weld cracking issues, and the tips DO turn purple.

If you want duels hard to beat V&H with their Ovals. Fit, Finnish, and install are top quality.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Yeah, I looked 'em up for curiosity's sake after I posted.
I was mostly taking exception to how many bikes "every Harley I've ever owned" represented. That, and the Rineharts just haven't been out for that long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
LAF said:
They are overpriced, have fitments problems, have weld cracking issues, and the tips DO turn purple.

If you want duels hard to beat V&H with their Ovals. Fit, Finnish, and install are top quality.
Lets take a closer look. The V&H Dresser duals #16729 cost $283.69, and the Oval slip fit mufflers #16727 costs $407.95. Total cost from Eastern Performance is $691.64 Talk about over priced. Plus the V&H head pipes are the most restrictive true duals on the market, at least on the dyno. The mufflers are very good performers on the stock head pipes.

Rinehart true duals from Eastern Performance $599.95 Now why would I want to spend $91.69 more money for a pipe that makes less power according to every single dyno comparison sheet I've seen?

I've read all the BS on how the Rinehart pipes don't make power yet every dyno sheet I've seen shows they make the same and more power. It all boils down to the guy doing the tuning. The Rineharts need a tuner willing to take the time to dial the combination in correctly. I've seen consistent dyno sheets come out of MMI with Rineharts making 100/100 on 95" builds as long as they take the time needed to do the job correctly.

·
1,802 Posts
Mike G said:
Lets take a closer look. The V&H Dresser duals #16729 cost $283.69, and the Oval slip fit mufflers #16727 costs $407.95. Total cost from Eastern Performance is $691.64 Talk about over priced. Plus the V&H head pipes are the most restrictive true duals on the market, at least on the dyno. The mufflers are very good performers on the stock head pipes.

Rinehart true duals from Eastern Performance $599.95 Now why would I want to spend $91.69 more money for a pipe that makes less power according to every single dyno comparison sheet I've seen?

I've read all the BS on how the Rinehart pipes don't make power yet every dyno sheet I've seen shows they make the same and more power. It all boils down to the guy doing the tuning. The Rineharts need a tuner willing to take the time to dial the combination in correctly. I've seen consistent dyno sheets come out of MMI with Rineharts making 100/100 on 95" builds as long as they take the time needed to do the job correctly.
I cant argue on the price because I don't give a rats a$$ to look it up. I can only say you need to check prices again, see if heat shields are included? If you defend these so rigorously then why did you ask?

I learned a long time ago that if I ask a question because I am unsure, and I get answers that say don't use or purchase that item, I would not. You are on your own and enjoy whatever you want.

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
All I know is I actually own them and I like them. Seems to me most folks who have negative things to say are basing it on what they heard from someone else. That's fine and dandy but there is no subsitute for experience. 'Nuff said.

·
1,802 Posts
frankencat said:
All I know is I actually own them and I like them. Seems to me most folks who have negative things to say are basing it on what they heard from someone else. That's fine and dandy but there is no subsitute for experience. 'Nuff said.
Well I saw the cracked joint, I saw the purple end caps, and I know they far exceed the cost of V&H no matter what the previous poster's price quotes are. I think he forgot the mufflers.

Don't have any knock on any product unless I have used or seen it.

I really did not have a preference on pipes for duels but went with what was recommended and for once it was the cost effective alternative.

Each to their own, and further I may swap them out for a 2-1 anyway so the cost savings will come in handy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
LAF said:
I cant argue on the price because I don't give a rats a$$ to look it up. I can only say you need to check prices again, see if heat shields are included? If you defend these so rigorously then why did you ask?

I learned a long time ago that if I ask a question because I am unsure, and I get answers that say don't use or purchase that item, I would not. You are on your own and enjoy whatever you want.
The prices are current as of 10/25/05, which is today just in case you need some help. I looked and priced Rinehart, V&H, and Samson before making my purchase. I decided against the V&H ovals because they just don't appeal to my taste and their head pipes cause too much restriction. Again if you need some help, IMHO they look like ****. And last but not lease, if you don't give a rats a$$ why bother to post your BS. Translation = :nfu2:

·
1,802 Posts
Mike G said:
The prices are current as of 10/25/05, which is today just in case you need some help. I looked and priced Rinehart, V&H, and Samson before making my purchase. I decided against the V&H ovals because they just don't appeal to my taste and their head pipes cause too much restriction. Again if you need some help, IMHO they look like ****. And last but not lease, if you don't give a rats a$$ why bother to post your BS. Translation = :nfu2:
Simple you asked. :2flips:

Look buy what you want it is your money. You asked I told you what I know first hand on the V&H and also what I have personally seen on the Rinehart's. Plain and simple facts. If you got the ENTIRE setup on the Rinehart then it is indeed a good deal for 600 bucks if that is what you want. If I would have been able to get them for that I STILL would not buy them.

I had a Thunderheader from them on my 03 Sporty that came in to the shop and looked like it had been immersed in salt water it was that pitted. It took 4 weeks for the DEALER to get satisfaction, he dropped them. Same Company makes them and they are very hit and miss on resolution on customers issues.

So if personal and first hand information to you is BS because it does not coincide with what you want to hear you too can go _ yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MegaGlide said:
How many's that?
I didn't even know they made them for Sportsters...
3. I've had 'em on two Sportsters and a RK. I ride with two buddies (VTX & a Softtail) who also have 'em. I don't sell them, and I could give a darn less what you use for pipes. It's your money, spend it how you see fit.

Again, I've never had, or seen, a single fitment issue, cracked weld, nor any of the other aforementioned problems.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Mike G said:
Plus the V&H head pipes are the most restrictive true duals on the market, at least on the dyno.
You're right 1 3/4" headers are very restrictive:duh?: and that is why no one manufactures them for motorcycles.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Maybe they ship all the good ones to the east coast.
Every set I've had personal knowledge of around here (and that's quite a few, all on baggers, though) has either purpled or cracked before they got that many miles on them.

I think it's more of a mileage than time thing, too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Maybe they ship all the good ones to the east coast.
Every set I've had personal knowledge of around here (and that's quite a few, all on baggers, though) has either purpled or cracked before they got that many miles on them.

I think it's more of a mileage than time thing, too.

Could be. I've got around 4k miles on the set on my RK, and it's smooth sailing so far. I guess time will tell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts