V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every news story I see anymore, if they search someone's house and find guns they confiscate them even if they are not part of any crime. I didn't know it was against the law to have guns but it sure seems like it from the news.

I also had a friend who's barn burnt down and he left his house unlocked, the police went in to see if anyone was home and saw he had a gun collection and confiscated it. He went to court and never saw his guns again. The reason for taking them was because they had suspicion some might be automatic, which they weren't.

·
Rider!
201 Posts
la9 said:
...... left his house unlocked, the police went in to see if anyone was home and saw he had a gun collection and confiscated it.... H
Must have been out or on display....I thought that they couldn't confiscate anything without a search warrant unless the items were reasonably visible.

Of course...I'm not a lawyer...-2$en#e-

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
la9 said:
Every news story I see anymore, if they search someone's house and find guns they confiscate them even if they are not part of any crime. I didn't know it was against the law to have guns but it sure seems like it from the news.

I also had a friend who's barn burnt down and he left his house unlocked, the police went in to see if anyone was home and saw he had a gun collection and confiscated it. He went to court and never saw his guns again. The reason for taking them was because they had suspicion some might be automatic, which they weren't.
Must be a regional thing. Hell, the FBI only confiscated what they believed to be involved with "the crime" when they raided my gun shop, and I got all those back.
Either the guy was a convicted felon who was barred from owning firearms, his lawyer sucked, or we don't have the whole story.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Your friend had guns accessable and left his house unlocked?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
If you ask a LEO his opinion, he will probably tell you that this country gives too many freedoms. Many of them want to keep the lid on (which means they want control). Many LEOs do not like people to have gun collections, they think that they are a crime waiting to happen. If they are owned by LEOs, it is different.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
route66paul said:
If you ask a LEO his opinion, he will probably tell you that this country gives too many freedoms. Many of them want to keep the lid on (which means they want control). Many LEOs do not like people to have gun collections, they think that they are a crime waiting to happen. If they are owned by LEOs, it is different.
That would be your opinion and possibly is somewhat true of some LEOs/agencies on the left coast and in major metros. I've never personally known a LEO who had any problem with a person lawfully carrying or owning one or more guns. I can't imagine confiscating a person's gun(s) unless these guns were associated with a crime or seizing them as evidence.

Regardless, the LEO or his agency has no legal right to keep legally seized guns once the trial (or whatever) situation might be is over unless the seized firearms are subject to forfeiture laws....as in part of a felony drug conviction in which the firearms played some part . Assuming the firearms are lawfully owned, the firearms are no more subject to seizure than any other lawfully owned personal property.

A great deal of the problem with some people (a few LEOs apparently,news media, soccer moms.....) getting all panicked about someone owning guns is the urban area mentality and non-familiarity with guns that so many urban dwellers have. In way too many minds, guns = bad people = crime. In too many minds, there is no use for guns other than crime.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
route66paul said:
My experience in talking to current and former LEOs is the exact opposite.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Route66Paul,

I have to agree with Trooper on this one. I have not seen that to be an issue here. Perhaps it is because I work and live in the upper midwest where it seems everyone has guns (huge hunting industry here). Unless I can articulate a reason (person is suicidal, guns are carelessly left laying around accessible to children, etc) we can't just "confiscate" guns just because we feel like it. Unless the gun is evidence in a crime, it is also unlikely that we would be able to keep it. Not sure where you got this idea from, but frankly, I just don't see this type of thing, especially on "every news story."

If your friend's barn burned down and he was not charged with a crime, the guns were not modified in an illegal fashion, and he was not a convicted felon, there is no way he would not be able to get his property back. There is more to the story...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I don't think LEO's have a problem personally, or shall I say I hope they don't. My opinion is the populace is duped to believe guns are bad. But I do know that in the Northeast (Boston) and SoCal (San Diego) the Chief of Police or Sheriff has to approve of your right to carry. One person should not be able to determine a right granted by the Constitution to us. Do a google search on Cali gun laws and see what comes up. Cali has an approved gun list and a banned list. They truly are a nation unto their own.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
DJW said:
Ya' think? I thought they were the ones robbing everyone of their constitutional rights? :hystria:
They sure aren't the ones taking their guns. Ever heard of a little organization called the NRA? Rupublican based, membership almost 100% repub's

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Your friend leaves his house unlocked and his gun collection is in plain sight? Didn’t get them back after a trial? Seems to me that something else was going on here if he owned them legally then there should be no trial as no law was broken or was/is there a law about properly securing said firearms when not in the owners presence?

My guns are locked in a safe, as are my sons. I do have a shotgun in my bedroom with a trigger lock on it just in case but it’s put away if we aren’t home. I am a retired patrolman and I have never heard that LEO's didn’t/don’t want people to have guns as long as they are legally owned there is no problem

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
trooper113 said:
A great deal of the problem with some people (a few LEOs apparently,news media, soccer moms.....) getting all panicked about someone owning guns is the urban area mentality and non-familiarity with guns that so many urban dwellers have. In way too many minds, guns = bad people = crime. In too many minds, there is no use for guns other than crime.
There's a lot of truth to that...the "town" I grew up in quite a few me walked around with a gun on their hips, (West Palm Bch Fla, gators & snakes in them swamps outside town) wear one into town now and you'd be tackled by 7 LEO's 'cause somebody called em in a panic...('course it's now a city not a town)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Gunny4Sawx said:
Do a google search on Cali gun laws and see what comes up. Cali has an approved gun list and a banned list. They truly are a nation unto their own.
I just don't understand California at all, bunch of strange people in charge. Must be the hollywood types. That state seems to be anti-freedom on a lot of things and a bunch of "tree hugging hippees" :laugh: Like that CARB crap for emissions control. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
route66paul said:
That is a new one on me. I don't know one cop that cares one iota about someones gun collections. In fact most would tell you someone with a gun collection is not going to be a victim. That would pretain to legal guns.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts