V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purcharsing my first HD in 2006. I have been riding BMW's, Ducati's, and Guzzi's for the past 10 years, and owned 5 different bikes. Needless to say, this is a big transition for me. Anyway, the Dyna has caught my eye as probably the most practical HD to start with. I like the motor, trans, and mid-mount controls. The only thing I really don't like about the 06's is the tank graphics, and that is the primary reason I'm waiting for an 07. Can you guys weigh in on why you decided on the dyna? Comments from those of you who have made the transition from different types of motorcycles (i.e., sportbikes/sport touring machines) will help. Also, what other HD's did you consider (softails, etc.)? What mods did you do to your dyna when you got it (I plan on adding a set of V&H Big radius).

Thanks!

Screwtop

·
Registered
124 Posts
After renting and test riding Softails, Sportsters, and Dynas, I liked the size, handling and power to weight ratio of the Dynas best. My 6-speed Dyna cruises perfectly on California freeways where the flow is 70-80 MPH, and handles great on mountain roads.

No Mods. I think the power is great, although I would like louder pipes for the sound, not necessarily the performance. My wife thinks loud pipes will anger the neighbors!:thumbsup:

2006 FXDBI

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I have an '02 Dyna Low Rider. Dynas have more attitude in their appearance, I think, than the bigger bikes. I like the rubber mounted engine as opposed to the softails and I like the looks of the shocks in the back. I also like the looks of a stipped down bike. I test drove a Road King this summer and a friend of mine said it looked like I was riding a cow.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
You are coming from a sport-touring setup. The Dyna will be a change. This is a cruiser that is sporty, not V-Rod sporty, but sporty.

If the graphics bother you keep in mind that the tank graphics differ among the lineup. I think the street bob has the coolest badge.

I originaly was thinking Fat Boy or heritage, but the Dyna to me is more fun to carve up the twisties on and still have that cruiser style.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I bought my first Harley in 2001 a FXDL I sat on a RK too and thought I was mounting a buffalo. I tell the bagger guys I will get one of those when I retire.
I too like the stripped down clean look, I think they are racier too. They also have a nice rear suspension (swingarm). To me it is more like a hot rod then the others.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Didn't consider anything but a Super Glide.

clean, "pure" styling
weight
performance
28 degree steering head angle
rubber mount
ability to "do it all"

Since upgrades:

Everything - more!

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
@gree:
Take a look at FXDRYDR's signature and imagine those numbers on something that's a few hundred pounds lighter than a bagger.:flames:

Can't wait to get my build done this winter :wootdnc:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was torn between several different models before making my final decision (Night Train, Softail Standard, Super Glide [Custom], Low Rider, Sporty 1200). But when I first saw the Street Bob on HD's website, I knew that was my next bike. My first bike was a 1990 Sporty 1200. It wasn't a bad bike, just a bit too small for me. I wanted something with some more power, a bit beefier, and of course, better looking. So that's why I bought my Dyna.

Likes: Plenty of power (6 speed), great handling, looks awesome, comfortable ride.

Dislikes: Pipes need to go (02 sensors suck), bearing replacement every 15k miles (I'm supposed to remember that?).

If I knew that the 07 lineup is still going to include the Street Bob, I may have waited. Only reason I say that is because I read on here somewhere that the Street Bob is a 1 year & done model. Don't know how true that is, but ya never know!

Overall, I'm very happy with my bike & hope to have it for a long time.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
used to 'em

i had an'82 fxr and really wanted a RK.The king is just too much bike for the 5 borough's.+ was that it was much less to buy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chances are that the tanks decals will be the same in 07, once they change, (I believe all the dyna decals have changed for 06) they usually stay the same for a few years. Get an 06 and enjoy it, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
if tank graphics are the only problem, have a painter blast off the graphics and add what you want. 200 to 300 dollars extra is probably equal to the 07 msrp adjustment anyway??????????

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Im short and my FXDL Lowrider fits me better than some of the other models. I like the way it rides and the way it handles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why did you decide on a Dyna?

Wife wanted a Heritage, but after looking around we realized we could get more bang for the buck by goin used......
And this one just grabbed us....
Why did I decide on a Dyna?
Just LOOK at it !!!
:D

Budds....................

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Okay - I figured out how to do this - but had to include one with me, as the size on others exceeded the limit. Something about a black Harley!!

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
HogJR said:
@gree:
Take a look at FXDRYDR's signature and imagine those numbers on something that's a few hundred pounds lighter than a bagger.:flames:

Can't wait to get my build done this winter :wootdnc:
HogJR -

Post up when you do -- you'll be smiling big time!

GC

·
Registered
99 Posts
My wide glide picked me. When I sat on it for the first time it just felt right. Sat on a Heritage and a Fatboy, just not the same. Ed

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PSK260 said:
I was torn between several different models before making my final decision (Night Train, Softail Standard, Super Glide [Custom], Low Rider, Sporty 1200). But when I first saw the Street Bob on HD's website, I knew that was my next bike. My first bike was a 1990 Sporty 1200. It wasn't a bad bike, just a bit too small for me. I wanted something with some more power, a bit beefier, and of course, better looking. So that's why I bought my Dyna.

Likes: Plenty of power (6 speed), great handling, looks awesome, comfortable ride.

Dislikes: Pipes need to go (02 sensors suck), bearing replacement every 15k miles (I'm supposed to remember that?).

If I knew that the 07 lineup is still going to include the Street Bob, I may have waited. Only reason I say that is because I read on here somewhere that the Street Bob is a 1 year & done model. Don't know how true that is, but ya never know!

Overall, I'm very happy with my bike & hope to have it for a long time.
Thanks for your reply. What's up w/ the bearing replacements every 15K? Cam bearings? Steering head bearings (I don't plan on any wheelies)?

·
Takin' the long way home!
113 Posts
When I bought my '03 Lowrider, none of the stock models were exactly what I was looking for. I wanted it all: looks, performance, handling, and comfort. The main thing that drew me to the Dynas was the 19" front wheel. To me, it just seems like the right size tire. The 21's just look like bicycle tires to me. Also more tire options for the 19. A "real" suspension for the rear was also important. I like the looks of the shocks. The Lowrider was the closest to what I wanted. I added forward controls (as I'm 6' tall) and am still gathering parts to convert the front end to a mid-glide (while keeping the eyebrow headlight). So in the end, it's the bike that "I" wanted for myself. My buddy has a Night train and I think it's beautyful and I'm sure it rides great, it's just not what "I" wanted. So decide what "you" want, and go with it. Don't let anyone elses opinion or sense of style dictate that. JMHO YMMV

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
weebles said:
My wide glide picked me. When I sat on it for the first time it just felt right. Sat on a Heritage and a Fatboy, just not the same. Ed
Same for me, the mini-apes, forward controls, etc., and.....to me the WG looks like 1969, I like that.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts