V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did you choose your Harley model? I don't think that there are any bad models, just different strokes for different folks with different or varied purposes. Anyone have any regrets for choosing the model that they did?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
While there is no question of riding anything other then a FLT, I chose the Glide as a effortless high speed touring bike and I have not been disappointed as far as the primary objective goes. Not to say there are no issues. At times I feel like going back to the RoadKing, as it is the better all around bike. Changes from day to day, coming off a long day on the highway I like to keep it, at other times, like when trying to clean it, I think about getting another RoadKing. In a better world I would have one of each, including an Ultra for those cold weather days. LOL.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After having ridden hardtails over the years, I needed some comfort for a change. I always liked the "retro" and nostolgic look of the Heritage Springer which is why I chose it. Its black of course. With the new TC 88 EFI and counterbalancing, its a great ride. I wouldn't change my decision. Now just add some personal touches and it will be perfect for me. The Stage 1 goes on this Thursday and I already put the Vance Hines pipes on.

·
Registered
354 Posts
FifthGear,
I am fortunate to have two bikes that I love, a '98 Electra Glide Classic and a '99 Heritage Springer softail. They both have the Evolution 1340cc motor.

The Electra Glide is a great all around bike with no limitations. It rides great in the city or the wide open highway. It has plenty of storage for those long trips. I bought the detachable rack for the Tour Pak which is really nice, along with a Mustang seat, and POLK speaker upgrade. This bike would be even better with cruise control and fairing lowers.

The lazer red/silver springer simply gives me grins! It is what I dreamed of owning as a kid, what I thought the coolest Harleys looked like! It is a beautiful nostalgic bike, and gets many compliments. Because of its rigid mounted motor, it feels like a pure, raw motorcycle (which I like). It's a load of fun to ride at low speeds (below 70mph or so). It is not a very smooth bike to ride above 75mph for prolonged periods of time because of the vibration. That's what I have the FLHTC for!

I'm lucky to enjoy the best of both worlds with these two very different bikes!

Ride safe.
OB99

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have owned Honda's & Yammers, But always wanted a Harley, Now the kids are grown & gone it was time. I got my 02 1200 sporty Because I can have the best of both worlds , The look & pride of A Harley & the go fast of a sporty. Larry:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I always owned rice rocket bikes.one day on a lunch break I passed the local harley dealer & saw a FATBOY.Well that's all it took .I ordered a
two tone Purple/Diamond ice with EFI the next day! I'm very pleased!!!

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Model choice...

Hey there Fifth Gear,

I'll never forget the day I first laid eyes on the new for model year '99 FXDX that within a few short months would be mine...

It was early August of '98 and my now Fiance' and I were out perusing the new '99 Harleys just for kicks. The new bikes had just debuted and we walked in the door of Baer H-D in nearby Honesdale, PA. (Shameless plug for a great bunch of folks!) There before me on a polished aluminum diamond plate ramp was the most striking yet understated liquid black FXDX I'd ever laid eyes on. I was drawn to this bike like a kid to a custard stand. I immediately knelt to drink in the unfamiliar uniqueness of the new Twin Cam mill. I turned to my other half and said, "new motor." She just smiled acknowledging my observesion and child like behavior. As my longing gaze returned to the new found object of desire, the owner of the dealership, Duane walked by and said without missing a step," I've got two things to say to you and I'll be right back... New Motor and immediately available." My girlfriends smile intensified! She let me finish my unabashed lust fest then we continued to check out the rest of the scooters.

I returned alone the following weekend and spoke with the good folks there at the store and picked up two catalogs, one for good and one to eat the pages out of. Once I returned home my girlfriend stopped by for a visit. She noticed the catalog lying on the coffee table and picked it up. As she leafed through it she asked if I was going to buy a bike. I said," I think I might order a new 883 Sporty Custom." She leafed to the Sportster pages and said,"they're nice but I like this one". The blacked out true object of my desire. I said,"what's not to like?! But I can't afford a big twin." She smiled coyley and said,"why don't you let me buy it for you?" I quickly said,"absolutely not." We went round and round for a few minutes and she just became quiet as I finally managed to change the subject.
The following Friday she took the day off and went to the dealership and plunked down the deposit for the black FXDX that arrived a couple months later on Black Friday. We couldn't pick the bike up that day since my insurance agent wasn't open so I had to wait out the sleepless weekend until the red tape could be worked out. On Dec. 2nd She drove me to the dealership and wished me "Happy belated Birthday/early Merry Christmas... Enjoy it!" What a gal!!!

Yes, she does have a Sister and yes she is married and nothing like my other half.

We're to be married this summer if the Good Lord's willing. Can't hate me for that!

Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
02 FLHT

The following is somewhat of a rehash from an earlier post replying to what I liked / disliked about my 02 FLHT

There is little question that the FLHT is the best dollar deal HD has to offer. There are some that say it’s days are numbered due to this fact. But the truth is that every time I walked into a dealer, I was attracted to this single model. No Question, other bikes were beautiful. As are other woman. I love the silver engine. And the TC88 is all the engine I need. The fairings add length to the seasons up here in upstate NY (25F today). Lowered the windscreen 1 inch to reduce head buffeting and be able to look over it better. I have no use for a radio or pizza box but added the oil / air temp gages. Black, is there really any other color? The FI may be nice but the Carb works just great.

Waiting on the ability to get 1000 miles on (winter is a bitch) so I can address the pipes / filter/ jets, Looking for some experience here. Don’t want something too loud but would like to be able to at least hear it, and would like to flatten out the low RPM ( 2500 – 4000) torque curve. V&H have been suggested but a little concerned with the volumn. waiting to hear a set of bubs on a other wise stock 88.

B

·
0 Posts
Wanted a Harley, but wanted a bike that would handle well and wouldn't shake me to death (the Sprtster Sport is WAY sweet, but I'm too old to take the shaking...). I chose a 2002 FXDXT because of the fully adjustable suspension, the rubber-mounted Twin-Cam and the fact that it's a good 120 lbs or more lighter than a bagger.

Got the "T" instead of the FXDX (REALLY hard choice, I liked the FXDX colors much better...) because I figured the fairing, bags and highway pegs were worth the extra money. I like the fact that I can pack the bags and take weekend trips with with my brothers (Road King and Beemer), and on Monday take the bags off and ride it to work, leaving early enough to blast down the back roads for a while first. People keep telling me that I'll trade it for a bagger within 2 years, but so far I don't thinks so ...

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Most of my riding has been on "naked" Hondas so when I started looking at harleys the Dynas felt most natural.....but I just wasn't personally crazy about the looks of them. I had pretty much decided at one point to get a Road King Classic because they were comfortable and didn't look as "stodgy" as some of the other Touring bikes (I know I'll get slammed for this, but I feel a little young at 40 for a bagger as my first Harley). In the end, after riding a few new Softails with the new engine and other improvements made in the last few years I got to the point where I realized they were now plenty comfortable for the type of riding I was likely to do.....most of it without a passanger and not many trips over 200 miles.

In the end I went for a 2002 injected Fat Boy....I may end up with the Touring bike in a few years, especially if I find my wife is into going along for longish rides, but for now I wemt with what I really wanted at this moment which was a relatively comfortable but flat out great looking bike. Is there a better choice than a Vivid Black Fat Boy when it comes down to that?....I don't think so.

Besides, I paid MSRP and unless something in the market changes dramatically, I can always trade and get most of my money back.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Awesome FLHRCI

Walked in to the local HD at x-mas during the grand opening. Tons of bikes lined up. Nothing caught my eye until i viewed the center stage bike rotating on the pedestal. It was a pearl white road king classic, deck out with lots of chrome, etc but those white wall tires did something for me. Unfortunately it was taken. I asked how many coming in this year, owner said 1, i asked if it was spoken for, he said, no. I said great, lets do the deal.

So basically its the looks that made me buy but had to add the V&H and screaming eagle to have that true potato, potato, potato sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had to have the white walls and the spokes but wanted a crusier style motorcycle. Something with a little nostalgia but not a springer. Something family oriented. Something smooth with a heavy ride but still pick up chicks. I had to go with the RK Classic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
'02 FXDL

Still waiting on my Lowrider... I have owned two ricerockets in the past (waaayyy past ...like 15 yearsago) I said that when I got rid of the last bike that if I got another bike it would be a Harley... I finally am able to pay the entry fee.... I chose the FXDL because I like the low long look... short seat height, highway pegs and tank mounted tach and speedo. Now I am just waiting.................

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
For me it's always been a real simple reason,the classic design & styling of the Heritage Softail Classic fits me perfectly.It's the type of bike you sit in, not on,being 6'4"230 lbs.I find it just right.The minimal vibration is not an issue with me.Like FifthGear said,different strokes.I have no regrets at all,I truly love this bike! guido

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Fifth Gear,
Everyone knows that the best Harleys are in the FLH line!!!! :D Just kidding!!!! Hold the flames.

I enjoy riding all types of motorcycles. While I'm glad to have the Dresser on a longer ride, it's a bit clunky around town, and there's not much "style" potential. Lisa's FXDL is more fun for shorter trips. In this regard, I thought her 1200 Sportster was a blast! If I just had the money, I'd own a half dozen different bikes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ive tried them all, this is my current ride,02Flht just what I wanted for a work horse, Ive got an 03 Roadking on order that will be my play bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fifthgear

After reading all of the posts, I wish I could have one of each. Reading these posts is like going for a Saturday ride, at least one of just about every model either riding with ya or riding by ya.. Different colors, different sounds, different riders. I have owned many different bikes over the years, and currently I ride a Vrod. I got a vrod because it was made in the USA, it is high tech, and I think it looks great. I enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Jeff,

To me, the one thing that stands out on the V Rod is that it looks like its going 60 mph while parked. It's the solid disc wheels! They look as if they're spinning while static. The metallic, fluid lines and serious rake add to the overall theme.

I'm still not convinced on the anodized air box cover and fenders though. All I can invision there, is a scuff or scratch being classified as irrepairable damage. On that note I wonder if upcoming model years will have a paint option?

Nice bike in any case!

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts