V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there that many people buying bikes that really don't want them and then decide they made a mistake. I find tons of bikes with less then 1000 miles on them.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
The bikes were bought as a status symbol only.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I couldn't tell you. But I bought my '01 sport in May 2003. The original owner had only 500 miles on it in the two years he had it.

edit: I didn't realize until a few months later that the guy had literally just broken the bike in!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
yep,
People buy them as garage jewery, bar hop on them, pose on them, trailer them to rallies but never really get to understand the joy of traveling on a bike.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It could also be that they wanted the bike soooo bad, they went and broke the bank getting it. Realizing later on that they couldn't afford it. When i got my first bike, between the payments and insurance.. I was shocked at the cost. I stuck it out and succeded, luckily.

Secondly, It could be the "bitchin wife" syndrome. lol. No offense to anyone but in my house, everytime we have a nice and above average argument.. my scoot gets brought up. lol..! :D

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
SiLlY said:
Secondly, It could be the "bitchin wife" syndrome. lol. No offense to anyone but in my house, everytime we have a nice and above average argument.. my scoot gets brought up. lol..! :D

same here....the only way around that is too save up some coin and get them ridin on there own bike...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Its n "investment"

What make me laugh is when someone lists a bike, car, aircraft, boat or what ever and say for example "$20,000 "invested", will sell for $10,000".

Wasn't a very good investment, was it?:huh:

Ride Safe,
Vettster

edit: Where the hell are these guys when I am trying to sell something????

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Luckily, my bike never gets brought up in arguments (since she was part of the reason I got into Harley's in the first place!) What does get brought up is my AR, AK, Kimber, Glock(s), S&W's, etc. etc.....

Of course if I weren't into guns, I'm sure it would be my computer stuff or something else. I learned you couldn't win that with my first marriage!

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
I would have to say that a lot of them buy the bike ride it home and then figureout that they are scared to death to ride.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
@gree: and thats my excuse to buy something else for the bike. i tell my wife that she hurt my bikes feelings and that a gift will make it all better:clap:
:hmmm: I'll have to try that one. :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Some dealerships use Ebay as a listing tool with a message in the detail that says this auction may be pulled at any time should. It is just another way to sell it. http://www.cycletrader.com has a lot of bikes with low miles, lots of chrome addons, etc., with low miles.

Some people just buy to have a bike, or buy and can't afford, or just buy it for the art of having it in the garage. Whatever the case be, just take it as a good buy and don't sweat it. I like the buy at 10 for a bike that sold new at 20 myself. :wootdnc:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bought my bike 3 months old with 400 miles on it from a young man who just made the decision to buy at the wrong time in his life. He worked nights, was divorced, and had custody of his 8 month old daughter. To go riding meant he had to have his girl friend or parents watch his daughter, which they were doing already while he was at work.

I'm guessing everyone of us had made a decision we had to re-visit sooner or later. I was happy to help him resolve his decision to sell.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I always here about the $20,000 bike selling for $10,000 but I have never seen it 1st hand and I never found one when I had the 16K cash to buy a bike. Let me take that back, I have seen *** bikes sell for 1/2 MSRP & a year old.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I recenty sold my '04 RK Custom with only 7100 miles on it because I travel ALOT, but want to ride when I am home. I'm selling my chopper and then am buying a Street Glide.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yeah. lots of people love HD, but dont love to ride.

Craigslist shows the aftermath of people who should have just gotten the sticker for their truck instead.

Some are just trying to get out of the purchase like this one (1500 miles in four years? thats less than 400 miles a year!):
Harley Road King 2002 $15,500 OBO (concord / pleasant hill / martinez)
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-02-05, 2:20PM PST
Bike is in excellent condition it only has 1,500 miles on it exhaust has been done & it has spoke
wheels for more info call XXX @ (xxx)xxx-xxxx

or this one, with 4k in eight years... 500 miles a year!:
1998 Harley Davidson, 1200 XL - $6700 (burlingame)
Date: 2006-02-05, 8:40PM PST
Black, 4k mi.,like new. Phase 1 perf. pkg., many xtras, helmet, cover. Beautiful
With offers please e- mail [email protected]

But this on is my favorite:

Others figure they can make a profit on the bike, after all, its a great investment right? a whopping 100 miles a year! looks like instead of riding the bike he had it custom painted with gold leaf! to each their own, of course.:
2001 HERITAGE SOFTAIL CLASSIC - $21000
Date: 2006-02-06, 5:26AM PST
2001 HERITAGE SOFTAIL CLASSIC JUST LIKE BRAND NEW!
YEAR: 2001
COLOR: CUSTOM PAINT AUQUA AND VIOLET CHARCOAL WITH GOLD LEAF ( ONLY ONE IN BAY AREA THIS COLOR!)
MILEAGE: 552

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
SiLlY said:
It could also be that they wanted the bike soooo bad, they went and broke the bank getting it. Realizing later on that they couldn't afford it. When i got my first bike, between the payments and insurance.. I was shocked at the cost. I stuck it out and succeded, luckily.

Thats funny...my wife always said that I could get my bike when I got her a pool (knowing how I feel about pools...I live 3 miles from the biggest Lake in New Hampshire with pristine swimming...why would I want a pool that I will have to take care of.). Well, guess what...a few years ago I caved on the pool issue, paid off my truck and.....yes, I got my bike. She doesn't bring it up in argument anymore. :banana:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I searched e bay, cycle trader and others before I bought new. I had a hard time finding a reasonable deal. guys with 2 to 5 year old bikes wanting almost what I could get a New one for. Also looked at 2 that they stilled owed the bank more than the bike was worth.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A bud of mine just bought a used 2000 heritage softail classic, absolutely perfect, Color is "red". It had 2500 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts