V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article on The homeless numbers.

"America's economy is thriving. Unfortunately, it isn't enough for thousands who have been left behind due to the opioid epidemic."
Rick Manning

Yep, plenty of jobs they say but homeless increased from opiods' usage!

Just a number here to think about
"in California alone, at least 129,000 people were homeless in 2018. Some estimates put the number at well over 150,000 people.

The problem is not a shortage of job opportunities. According to Department of Labor statistics, 7.4 million jobs were available last year, dramatically higher than the number of unemployed workers.

The bottom line is that thousands of people are homeless, and they're living in "tent cities" or under bridges during one of the most prosperous times in our nation’s history."
Rick Manning

They won't, but they need to change up thinking and totally go at this issue another way, I mean thats some heavy numbers and jobs are out there, so why is there so many homeless people still?

Here's the story and more to the questions
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/rick-manning-america-economy-opioid

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts
We no longer keep crazy people off the street by institutionalizing them. And because of their mental illness, many of them can not live in cooperative group settings. So they end up on the street.

We no longer criminalize drug use, so there is a massive street community of hard drug users. And very few shelter operations allow drug use, so they live on the street.

Urban housing is unaffordable for most single blue collar workers. So they often will go to the city for work, live on the street, and take take the money home on the weekends.

There is also the issue of there being few open jobs for people of low education/intelligence, or with criminal histories. People hire illegals to do that work now. Just not having to pay in on the taxes and SS makes it a huge financial savings. Authorities make no effort to correct this, as their rich benefactors want it left as is.

And most of all, we made it too easy for people to just not work. A woman with four or five kids gets enough money from the government to support herself, the kids and a string of baby daddies. Then the kids grow up with little work ethic, but a wealth of knowledge about how to game the system. When they turn 18, its college loan time. Borrow for 14 c/h, then take 3 c/h. Use the left over money to live on. But 6 years down the road you are unskilled, unemployable, broke and in debt, living on the street.

And then there are the courts. They lay $500 a week child support payment on guys making $1000 a week. Guess who is on the street soon after. They hold people in lockup for weeks over charges they know will never be pursued, guess who ends up on the street.

But most of all, there are Stupid Americans. Credit is too easy, and people are not equipped to use it. Americans buy too much stuff that they can't afford. Prime example is all of the less than 2 year old Harley repops out there. Far too many Americans are lazy. They would rather get put on the street than take a job involving hard labor. Most Americans cant miss a paycheck and pay all of their bills. Most Americans can't be off work for a month without pay because of an illness or temp layoff. Most Americans don't have a months income in the bank for when shlt happens. Ya, so I guess you could say that the street is Americas way of dealing with stupid too.

As a rule, recessions and depressions correct these issues. Shlt crashes and people learn to survive living hard. 10 years down the road they want to work, even if it is hard labor. But not now. shlt crashes and we have endless unemployment. endless food support. Easy bankruptcy. Hell just have a few kids, do the paper work, and never work again. Just remember who to vote for next election.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,428 Posts
We no longer keep crazy people off the street by institutionalizing them. And because of their mental illness, many of them can not live in cooperative group settings. So they end up on the street.

We no longer criminalize drug use, so there is a massive street community of hard drug users. And very few shelter operations allow drug use, so they live on the street.

Urban housing is unaffordable for most single blue collar workers. So they often will go to the city for work, live on the street, and take take the money home on the weekends.

There is also the issue of there being few open jobs for people of low education/intelligence, or with criminal histories. People hire illegals to do that work now. Just not having to pay in on the taxes and SS makes it a huge financial savings. Authorities make no effort to correct this, as their rich benefactors want it left as is.

And most of all, we made it too easy for people to just not work. A woman with four or five kids gets enough money from the government to support herself, the kids and a string of baby daddies. Then the kids grow up with little work ethic, but a wealth of knowledge about how to game the system. When they turn 18, its college loan time. Borrow for 14 c/h, then take 3 c/h. Use the left over money to live on. But 6 years down the road you are unskilled, unemployable, broke and in debt, living on the street.

And then there are the courts. They lay $500 a week child support payment on guys making $1000 a week. Guess who is on the street soon after. They hold people in lockup for weeks over charges they know will never be pursued, guess who ends up on the street.

But most of all, there are Stupid Americans. Credit is too easy, and people are equipped to use it. Americans buy too much stuff that they can't afford. Prime example is all of the less than 2 year old Harley repops out there. Far to many Americans are lazy. They would rather get put on the street than take a job involving hard labor. Most Americans kant miss a paycheck and pay all of their bills. Most Americans can't be off work for a month without pay because of an illness or temp layoff. Most Americans don't have a months income in the bank for when shlt happens. Ya, so I guess you could say that the street is Americas way of dealing with stupid too.

As a rule, recessions and depressions correct these issues. Shlt crashes and people learn to survive living hard. 10 years down the road they want to work, even if it is hard labor. But not now. shlt crashes and we have endless unemployment. endless food support. Easy bankruptcy. Hell just have a few kids, do the paper work, and never work again. Just remember who to vote for next election.
Well said. It pisses me off too.

joe

·
not sober all the time
5,325 Posts
I ran across this on another forum. The first one is just a short news piece of the entire broadcast.

This is the one hour video. I haven't watched it to the end yet.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
...and I remember when places like Seattle, Portland and the state of California were good places - good to live in, good people, working people, producers of great things, clean cities, working government... Talking from personal experience and recollection of the mid 60s to early 70s.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
San Francisco Just Banned E-ciggs,

You can still shoot up heroin & sh!t in the street though.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Not to mention all the people in the auto,paper and coal industries, just to name a few that were put on the street. 50 yrs old with 30 years seniority all of a sudden unemployed and no education.A good percentage of them didn't make it and they aren't part the unemployment picture anymore but still unemployed.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran across this on another forum. The first one is just a short news piece of the entire broadcast.

This is the one hour video. I haven't watched it to the end yet.
That was tense, Good story

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that sums up the problem.

Sent from here to there.
It has moved my opinion more towards it, Yea I can understand what Therm is saying and can agree some people are just a absence pay check away from being out on the street, I'd like to expect being they work that they would still hold a job and get out of the streets.

But, more and more this homeless issue to me is over taken by people with drug usage abuse.

I posted a topic recently that I made a point of some of these kids behaviors and I was reminded by a few it was meth usage I was seeing..

so, can you think about our days as teens, sure we were not saints by any means, But when I watched us at drive Inns or bond fire get togethers', I can remember we laughed a lot from what we smoked and we staggered at times from what we drank.

Compared to the strange Things we see today.

·
Registered
126 Posts
...and I remember when places like Seattle, Portland and the state of California were good places - good to live in, good people, working people, producers of great things, clean cities, working government... Talking from personal experience and recollection of the mid 60s to early 70s.
I bought my 94 EGC from an older fella who told me that. He had his RV parked up by a house in Alpine (San Diego County) that he was house-sitting. Him and his wife were heading to TX after their watch was up. He said CA died when the hippies did.

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts
Another thing that has changed is where the homeless are seen. Today they stay in the cities and are very visible, or under traffic structures where passing drivers see them.

Back in the day, the local PoPo would lock homeless people up as vagrants. So they tended to stay in the shadows or leave the large urban areas. Moving to areas where there was a lot of trashy industry and rail yards, were they were left alone, and less noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts
I bought my 94 EGC from an older fella who told me that. He had his RV parked up by a house in Alpine (San Diego County) that he was house-sitting. Him and his wife were heading to TX after their watch was up. He said CA died when the hippies did.
People used to retire to the RV and then spend 3 months at a time in federal parks. Down south in the winter, up north is the summer and inbetween in the spring and fall.

The parks around DC have a 6 day per 90 limit now. That was because migrant construction workers were living in them while they worked in DC and Bmore. Some times 10 or 15 to a camper And you could tell them by the box trucks parked by the campers and the laundry hanging from the awnings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting article on The homeless numbers.

"America's economy is thriving. Unfortunately, it isn't enough for thousands who have been left behind due to the opioid epidemic."

Rick Manning

Yep, plenty of jobs they say but homeless increased from opiods' usage!

Just a number here to think about

"in California alone, at least 129,000 people were homeless in 2018. Some estimates put the number at well over 150,000 people.

The problem is not a shortage of job opportunities. According to Department of Labor statistics, 7.4 million jobs were available last year, dramatically higher than the number of unemployed workers.

The bottom line is that thousands of people are homeless, and they're living in "tent cities" or under bridges during one of the most prosperous times in our nation’s history."

Rick Manning

They won't, but they need to change up thinking and totally go at this issue another way, I mean thats some heavy numbers and jobs are out there, so why is there so many homeless people still?

Here's the story and more to the questions

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/rick-manning-america-economy-opioid
A decent living wage could be the answer, how can you survive on $10.00 an hour.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baz77 View Post
A decent living wage could be the answer, how can you survive on $10.00 an hour.

Welcome to the forum. Did you join just to talk politics?

This has come up before but the Admins didnt enforce it then, doubt they will now. But if they did, baz77 would have to post a couple times about motorcycle stuff before he could post again in the religion and politics section.

Rule #4 of Religion and Politics:

4. This forum is for PARTICIPATING members of the V-Twinforum.com community. If you are here only for the religion and politics forum, you are not welcome. In order to be considered a participating member, your posts in this forum should not comprise more than 50 percent of your overall post count. Posts of a frivolous nature just to meet the requirements of this rule will be grounds for banishment from the site. This rule, however, is at the total discretion of the moderators and will be applied on a per-user basis as any moderator sees fit.

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/religion-politics/146257-religion-politics-forum-rules.html

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Yer a genius. I was obviously stupid, working two jobs until I was about 50 years old, when I could have been living off of your tax contributions. Other than those who are unable to work because they're too young or ill or crippled or old and wore out, I don't feel sorry for the homeless.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Homeless by choice. Frittered life away. And now the chickens have come home to roost and its societies punishment for doing do diligence to help these **** bags? F that.

You get food stamps,subsidized housing and welfare you should be put to work cleaning up streets,parks and cleaning off graffiti.

Assistance is an honor based system except there is no honor. Welfare has become a job and generational.

When i needed more money for family i worked 2 jobs, 70-80 hours a week for 6+ years. I have no pity for schlag.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The opioid problem is not a problem with a great number of people on some kind of pain management. I know people who have been on opiodes for over 10 years. They've tried all the non opiode drugs that are suppose to help them get off the opiods. But they just don't work. Some use these drugs very responsible. They never need more in the prescription time period. Which is either 28 or a 30 days regiment. But because the government throws all opioid user into the same pile of drug abusers. Those people are punished when doctors take away from you what really has been working for years. The doctors give them Subutex or an equivalent. That does not work for every person. Then the doctors don't know which way to go from there. They can't prescribe a opioid again and haven't a clue what to go to next. That person has to be in pain & start all over again. In pain wondering how soon they will get their lives back.
Our government sucks when it comes to handling the opioid problem. They say. Stop all opioid use and screw the ones that really need it. Let them live in pain!

1 - 20 of 160 Posts