V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to why folks might want a tour pack as opposed to a T bag on your backrest/luggage rack. It doesn't seem to hold very much, and I would not want to put a very heavy load there given how high up it is. Any insights would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Tour-Pak™ holds a great deal. What is really funny is it seems to be bigger inside than outside. I have stuffed an amazing amount of schtuff in the TP. My bike is my daily transportation and the TP is what makes that possible. I have the large luggage rack on top of it and whatever doesn't fit inside gets strapped to the lid. (I am a graphic designer and I have delivered 36" banners strapped to the lid.) I can't put a week's worth of groceries in the damn thing but I can carry most of my daily needs in it.

I splurged recently and put the Ultra lights on the TP along with the Back-Off module to cycle the lights when the brakes are applied. I have noticed the cars staying a little further back. As amatter of fact it seems to irritate them. :D I really like having the extra lights up higher. I made that decision after following an Ultra in the fog one morning.

As far as balance, I never have noticed it. Even when it is really overloaded on a trip with a large bag on top, it has not been a problem. It may be a matter of just getting used to it.

I really like the way my bike looks without a TP, but I would rather have utility with less kool instead of leaving the bike home and driving. I imagine if I only needed to carry schtuff on trips I would go with the detachable rig or a T-bag. But for daily use, you can't beat a TP.

And, as some of the BBB guys would say, it makes a great place for the Jacuzzi and the fridge. ;)

Oldsmobaggers Rule!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dgiese is right its amazing what a tour pack will hold, I have the LED spoiler on mine, really lights up the road. I use the detachable rack with quick disconnects for the lights so I can pop it on or off in minutes. I wouldn't be without one. RB

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
These post about say it all. The question is like asking will I like saddlebags on my bike? Well, many riders think the bike looks better without them. At the same time, many riders leave the bags installed once they are installed. While my bike came standard with the tour-pak, I have not elected to remove it. As for using a T-Bag on the luggage rack, it doesn't compare with the amount one can carry inside and on top of the tour-pak. If ya' want "cool", stick with the T-Bag. If ya' want to haul stuff, then go for the tour-pak.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
There's also currently a two-up thread that's related to the question of using a tour-pak. Good comments going on over there, too.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I bought the TP organizer that attaches to the inside of the lid and let me tell you, that little thing is great. All the little stuff and glasses and other stuff has a place now where it doesn't roll around or get squashed.
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Yep, the t/p organizer is pretty useful. I would note thought that I've already had to reglue the thing. Kept TOO MUCH stuff in it on a regular basis and it started to come loose. How much--an amazing amount!!! Can't do that with a T-Bag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the chopped TP and While I really like the look of it , especially the backrest, If I had it to do over again I would opt for the King TP Just for the mere fact that you can't have too much storage on a long trip. There is nothing like being able to lock up your stuff while you are not near the bike. I'll bet the T-bag comes off pretty easy.
Jed

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lots of dry lockable storage, ya can't beat it. If you're into the looks thing, then I'd go with the detachable stuff. Like my bro dgiese says, the lights on the back are a plus too, I wanna be seen as much as possible.
I've never noticed any weight problems either, you just wanna put the heavier stuff in the saddle bags.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was looking at adding the chopped TP for my road king. I thought the large TP would not look right on the bike. But I would like to have the extra room since I use the bike for work when the weather cooperates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts