V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be fair (and perhaps a bit bold as an FNG) I would like to know why some of you guys decided on a softail over a dyna. I've posted a related thread on the dyna forum and have received some good feedback. Basically it's down to the low rider or the duece for me, and this is my first HD. So far the dyna has the edge from what I would consider a practicality standpoint, but who the hell needs to be practical? (I've got a BMW for that). I really like the looks of the duece, especially the 200 on the rear. How do the soft tails handle by comparison? Does the riding position get to you after a few hours in the saddle? How bout the stopping characteristice (I plan on putting a dual disc up front). Thank you all in advance. Estimated purchase time is summer 06.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
A lot of the Dyna guys cite frame geometry and superior handling as reasons why they chose Dynas. I used to own a Superglide and I thought the handling and suspension still sucked. The Softail isn't any better, but I think it's a much more interesting bike to look at and you have a lot more aftermarket options to make your bike truly unique. In my opinion, the Softail truly embodies the Harley look.

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I originally had my eye out for the Lowrider too, but when I saw the Deuce, thats what I bought. I've riden old chopper hardtails and superglides, and actually the Lowrider did feel better under me at first. Some bikers with Softails say they don't care for the shaking motors in the Dynas. Not a biggee with me though. At stock, the Lowrider seat is a bit lower than the Deuce which might be a consideration for you. But the Deuce just looks so much better, eventhough considerably more expensive. Most Deuce owners change bars, seats, and pegs to their liking anyway, and I sit in my Deuce just fine now, as compared to stock. Contrary to others, I wouldn't say there is a significant difference in overall handling between the two bikes. On a side note, the only Deuces I've seen with twin front discs, are the Screaming Eagle CVO's. Upgrading to twin discs is a bit pricey and looks kinda of too beefy for the WG front and skinny tire. The singles stop well with the right pads. Good Luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I went Softail for the aftermarket support. If you want to customize there is no better bike to start with. :chopper:

As for handling, that's what my Buell is for. :clap:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I look at it as a personal preference. I had an FXR and moved to a touring classic, this summer I was wandering the dealer floor and this Deluxe was yelling my name. I traded the bagger in for the Deluxe and don't regret it. I don't have the time for week long rides, so losing storage space wasn't a big issue. As for handling, the Deluxe drags the boards regularly on corners, but that's part of the fun.
I'm 50 and riding the Deluxe brings the grins back every time I'm on it.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
It's simple for me...you sit on a Dyna, Road King...etc...you sit in a Softtail...

·
Registered
453 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
It's simple for me...you sit on a Dyna, Road King...etc...you sit in a Softtail...
@gree:

That and the old school look is what made me get a softail. I like the old look, that's why I got a Deluxe.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I must say, I wanted an old school look as well, hence I went with a softail Springer Classic. Old school all the way. Plus, I like the little things on this bike... the tombstone tail light, beach bars, badge on the oil tank.

I like the others too. As a matter of fact, I like everything they build. It just boiled down to what turned my crank.

I might add that my crank is well turned. I just can't get enough.

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RepoMan said:
The deuce has a 160 rear tire.
I guess that I must have been looking at a ST standard w/ a 200. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the Tips

Gooms said:
I originally had my eye out for the Lowrider too, but when I saw the Deuce, thats what I bought. I've riden old chopper hardtails and superglides, and actually the Lowrider did feel better under me at first. Some bikers with Softails say they don't care for the shaking motors in the Dynas. Not a biggee with me though. At stock, the Lowrider seat is a bit lower than the Deuce which might be a consideration for you. But the Deuce just looks so much better, eventhough considerably more expensive. Most Deuce owners change bars, seats, and pegs to their liking anyway, and I sit in my Deuce just fine now, as compared to stock. Contrary to others, I wouldn't say there is a significant difference in overall handling between the two bikes. On a side note, the only Deuces I've seen with twin front discs, are the Screaming Eagle CVO's. Upgrading to twin discs is a bit pricey and looks kinda of too beefy for the WG front and skinny tire. The singles stop well with the right pads. Good Luck with your purchase.
Thanks gooms and others on the feedback. This is going to be a tough decision. I put alot of aftermarket stuff on my bikes (pipes and eye candy) so aftermarket support is a significant consideration. At 5'10" I'm not vertically challenged, so seat height is not really an issue. Handling is the only other real consideration, but I would think that I will have to kind of adapt a new riding style anyway with this kind of bike. You say that the dyna motors shake? Are they not on rubber mounts? Also someone else indicated that there is some type of bearing maintenace at 15K. I'm assuming this is cam bearings?

Thanks again,

Screwtop

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
The shake referred to is when the motor is running less than 2000 rpm. The rubber mounts let the motor bounce all over the place. It's not bad unless you're riding a long way at a slow speed.
The bearing is on the crank behind the compensator. Harley is doing it for free. They made some changes to the Dyna motor and are currently having the bearings replaced as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I'm surprised by some of the answers.
Usually, it's cut and dried.
I am a soft tail guy, and knew it right away when I began shopping..
I think the Dyna line represents old school, and the Softail is a bit more modern looking.
Also, I am a big guy, and feel a little cramped on a Dyna..

Hmm, having said that, wasn't the Softail suppose to represent the old ridgids of the past?:dry:
My buddy is buying a new Street Bob. He just fits that bike theme perfect!

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
One thing you'll notice in the previous replies, no one is talking about baggers. That was the reason I bought a softail, everybody in my area rides the baggers, and I prefer the old school (so to speak) bikes instead. No offense at all to Heritage, RK, RG, EG owners here. I'll definitely consider one of those in my later years.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ride a Softail and a Dyna.

The Dyna does have a better ride, and the rubber vs counter balanced engine does put out a little more pep. But the preceding is modest enough it doesn't overcome in my book the appeal of drop dead gorgeous looks. Net, the one speaking to the heart is the one to get. Rarely does this disappoint.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is like asking a man why he married a beautiful chick rather than a ugly one, or a fat one. A soft tail is a soft tail, a Dyna is....errrrrrrrrrr....well, not a soft tail.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
My brother rides a '99 FXDX. Riding his bike took me back to the '70s when I rode a friend's '75 FXE. I think it's cool that the '99 shakes that front wheel at idle just like the rigid mount '75. But the shake goes away as the revs increase,unlike the '75. Anyway,riding my bro's bike made me have to buy a bike for myself. The dealer accessorised Wide Glide caught my eye as it reminded me of the semi chopped Duo-Glides that were popular back in the day. Then I noticed a lowly Softail Standard,and it just spoke to my old hardtail chop rides. It wasn't the color I wanted,so I ordered it. Had no idea about what the 88B felt like. 8k miles and almost 2 years later,I can honestly say that I have no regrets. My brother is even impressed with the smoothness of the "B" motor,and how straight my bike tracks down the road. He would like to buy one,but his wife rides with him a lot and wants him to buy a Ultra. My wife don't care to ride,so I ride what I want.:thumbsup:

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
What swmnkinthervr said...

I agree with him...
"It's simple for me...you sit on a Dyna, Road King...etc...you sit in a Softtail..."

Seems to me that Harley built the Heritage Softail Classic just for me. It fits me perfectly and the hand foot controls are just were they should be. The first time I was on it it was just perfect. I had no doubt that it was the right bike for me...and I still feel that way. I'm 6'1", 230lbs.
I would also be happy with a Road King Classic, which I've ridden a few times. I've never ridden a Dyna, but I like the looks of the wide glide.
One of these bikes will send shiver up your spine...buy that one.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Everyone has their own preference as to what rides better or looks better and those preferences are usually biased to what they have . But realistically it all comes down to one thing and it is accepted by all. With a soft tail, you get more PU$$Y !!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I started out on a Sportster...I love the "old Nova" feel! :cool:

I currently ride a Heritage...simply due to the fact that, after trying several bikes (Dyna, Softail, RK) Paula said she felt the best on the back of the Heritage. If it had been just me that was going to ride on the scoot, I would have stayed on the Sporty...or moved to a Street Bob.

The more I ride the Heritage, the more I love it. Afterall, the old song goes..."If ya can't be with the one you love...love the one you're with"! :brows:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts