V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those of you who carry a pistol while riding, legaly of course. I have a concealed weapons permit and frequent the Glocktalk forum. They have had a few threads about where to carry and how to best carry (preferable concealed) while riding a motorcycle. That is a question that may be better discussed here. So what do you think? Fannypack? Leg pack? Shoulder harness? Inside the waistband? (3 oclock? 6 oclock) Consider accessability, concealability, security and what happens if you take a spill.

Whaddya think?

Holden

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have wondered about this also, another question. Most states prohibit carry in a bar, so when you stop for a brew what do you do with your piece?

Glock talk has alot of ????? unique people on it?

Thats the pc way to say it. I have a model 27 in 40SW. My favorite is my sig 229 in 40SW

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've got a pack of reds.... Oh ****, you meant guns... Jk.

I don't have a bike yet, so I can't really comment yet, but maybe I will someday, and maybe I'll have a gun after that, then I'll get back to you.

Bill

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I keep a 9mm in a shoulder holster along with my permit in case anything happens...

DO NOT carry a weapon in your waist band/pants as I know of a few Police Bikers whom has lost their weapons this way...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
While off duty of course.... :D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
AZ is pretty unique because it is a open carry state. The best solution for carrying a full size semi is a SAS type leg holster. Fast, secure and out of the way when on a bike.

Or you can slip an undercover .38 into a boot holster.

When going into a bar padlock it to the front axle thru the triggerguard.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I don't have one yet, but I always wanted a Red Ranger Double Action BB Gun ! :D

Yea I know, "You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out Kid" :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JimmyK,
Would that be the official Red Rider carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time? I had one of those, until I shot out a window. Didn't realize the window was so fra-gee-lay. My Dad wove a tapestry of obsenity that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.

But seriously folks...
The waistband carry doesn't seem to be a good idea to me either. Not only is security a problem, you could spill some guts if you took a tumble and it cut into your side. Fanny packs are ok but they scream *** to me. Shoulder, boot or bellyband seem best. In Michigan not only are bars a no carry zone but lots of other places as well. Securing it to your ride is very important. How do you do that without displaying it?

Packin Plastic

Holden

·
Registered
985 Posts
I like a .380 concealed in a small, small camera pack (~4"X6") with a belt hoop.
You can get them a sporting stores for $35 or WalMart for $8.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
JimmyK said:
I don't have one yet, but I always wanted a Red Ranger Double Action BB Gun ! :D

Yea I know, "You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out Kid" :eek:
Excellent Movie! The "tounge on the flagpole" is classic!

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
pistol carry

I have a CCW here in Massachusetts but do a lot of out of state travel. First I hope you are an NRA member. There is a book out on the carry laws of the diferent states. I have quite a collection of firearms including a Glock45, Sig228, Charter arms44, North american arms22magnum, and a Seacamp32, etc etc. I carry the seacamp32 the most because of concealability, pocket usually. I dont worry to much about bar laws as nobody should know you have a gun unless you need it. And then if I need it I would prefer being alive and in trouble with the law than dead or seriously injured and not being prepared. Gun owners and motorcycle riders how unpolitically correct can we be.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: pistol carry

Thealien said:
I have a CCW here in Massachusetts
You must have lots of money or low friends in high places ! Massachusetts is not what most would call a gun friendly state!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I currently don't pack for a couple of reasons...

1. Live in Illinois.
2. Haven't really prcticed drawing/shooting with my left (off) hand. What good would it do if I couldn't draw/shoot if or when I needed? (This is assuming it would have to be done while riding - wouldn't want to have to let off the throttle to draw or shoot)

If I was to carry, I would probably go with an IWB (Inside Waist Band) type of holster.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Drawing a weapon, strong or weak handed, from a moving motorcycle without a lanyard is not a good idea. Plus, unless the weapon is a laser-guided missile the chances of hitting your intended target from a moving motorcycle are greatly diminished.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Have to agree with HJ on this one. A scenario where you would have to draw while on the bike is pretty unlikely if you are a decent rider. As long as you are on the bike, the bike is your primary weapon. Shot placement would be much too compromised in particular if you consider the liability implications. At most you would dismount and use the bike as a barricade.
The reason open carry is so effective on a motorcycle is that it makes a huge difference in how cages act around you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HIPPO, you beat me to it. I agree that drawing and firing from a moving motorcycle is unlikely and using the scooter for cover is a good tactic if it comes to that. The best thing abou riding is that you can get away from a bad situation in a hurry. If you have to stay and fight it provides a lot of steel to get behind.

That being said, practicing drawing and shooting with both hands is definitely a good thing to do.

On a related note. How many people carry a blade instead of, or in addition to, a pistol? I mean a defensive weapon, not your fingernail picker.

Holden

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
Misguided I have had the CCW here in MASS. for almost 20 years and it was not as bad back then. I do vote pro gun and contact my politicians regarding any offensive legislation. With politicians like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry(who might run for president)and the rest of the liberal fascists governing Massachusetts it is looking bleak for the average citizen without money or clout!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Wa. state and have a concealed weapons permit. When Langlitz leather made my jacket they sew a gun pocket into the coat with a snap closure(very secure and easily accessible). It's on the inside, left side of coat. I was in a severe crash many years ago where I was thrown off bike and tumbled down a ravine,gun stayed in place nicely, however some body parts did not. If your going to carry have a permit and make sure weapon is secure!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts