V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about a truckload of scrape wood (from a fence I replaced) that I need to haul to the dump. My old truck is still down with a ruptured brake line (hey! 50 & 60 hour work weeks take away from automotive duties, and I don't have the $$$ for someone else to fix it).

I was wondering if there is someone who lives near Stafford who would like to help a Double-D out? Heck, if all ya wanna do is be the driver, I don't care, I just wanna get this pile out from behind my place. With the cold weather coming, all it is is a place for mice to live before trying to move into my house.

I'll pay for gas, and a few beverages.
Sorry, I will not wash the truck or your bike...
...that is what Prospects are for...

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
No option for the city to come pick it up?

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
you're welcome to my trailer but you need to come get it Timmy.:harhar:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shaw_2112 said:
No option for the city to come pick it up?
Nope - city doesn't even pick up the garbage: Private firm who won't haul it away.
ZoomieDog said:
you're welcome to my trailer but you need to come get it Timmy.
Why thank ya, ZD. Ya know, I knew there was something I wanted to ask of you before you headed west...damn if it didn't dawn on me until my truck broke down.

I have a few neighbors who own trucks, the problem with them is that if you ask them for a favor, they think you are obligated to them. They expect you to do stuff for them and they will 'rate' it too, like one favor is worth two in return...freakin' messed up...whatever happened to neighbors helping just to help without expecting something in return. :blink:​

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
I can borrow the boss's truck, you pay the gas.

As to a Hand....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Does that there help?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Tim knows I'm likely the closest Delinquent with a truck since Mikes is down...but we're gonna have a problem if you buy the gas...

If I don't ride tomorrow I'll help ya out...or maybe Sunday?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't know Mikey's truck was down.
Yeah, I figured you may be the closes Delinquent (I need to do some recrutin' down here).
No problem getting gas...just feed ya alot of beans :D:
If'in you be riding tomorrow, go for it & enjoy yourself.
I don't wanna do any riding until I get my rear brake pads changed out.
The scrap pile may have to wait until Sunday anyway, lessen I can talk a neighbor into using his truck...maybe even on Sunday.

Believe me, I've got plenty of honey-dos to keep me occupied.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Timmy_D said:
I didn't know Mikey's truck was down.
Yeah, I figured you may be the closes Delinquent (I need to do some recrutin' down here).
No problem getting gas...just feed ya alot of beans :D:
If'in you be riding tomorrow, go for it & enjoy yourself.
I don't wanna do any riding until I get my rear brake pads changed out.
The scrap pile may have to wait until Sunday anyway, lessen I can talk a neighbor into using his truck...maybe even on Sunday.

Believe me, I've got plenty of honey-dos to keep me occupied.
Cool...we'll say this weekend fer sure...I'll let ya know tomorrow in the AM...

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Yeah Timmy, it's got problems. Tranny won't shift into overdrive so it's limited to close by trips under 45 mph. Haven't had the time or desire to tear it apart just yet. Too many other priorities that need attention. I may have to break down soon though and do something about it, otherwide I'd be there for ya.

You should clarify with swimnaked though that you don't have to unload all those tools in the back of his truck. :yikes:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mbkodiak said:
Yeah Timmy, it's got problems. Tranny won't shift into overdrive so it's limited to close by trips under 45 mph. Haven't had the time or desire to tear it apart just yet. Too many other priorities that need attention. I may have to break down soon though and do something about it, otherwide I'd be there for ya.

You should clarify with swimnaked though that you don't have to unload all those tools in the back of his truck. :yikes:
Bummer about the truck, Mikey.
I just haven't had the time to crawl under mine to find where the 'break' is in the brake line (plus lying down on gravel is not my favorite hobby).
With 310K miles on this truck, I really need to put it out to pasture and get a new (used) one, but I don't want the monthly payments.

Anyway, I gotta get and do stuff.

...its a bit chilly out today...rather be riding then workin'

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Hey Tim...I can't ride today but not because I don't want to...I've got a leak that I have to fix/locate (got a big puddle in the basement)...I'll be around tomorrow if ya wanna haul the trash...

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Hey Tim...I can't ride today but not because I don't want to...I've got a leak that I have to fix/locate (got a big puddle in the basement)...I'll be around tomorrow if ya wanna haul the trash...
Hope you don't mean a leak from the bike. If it is then I suppose it's better now that it must be getting a little chilly out there. Still not wearing layers here. That's one good thing about being back here in San Diego.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
DNLEVESQUE said:
Hope you don't mean a leak from the bike. If it is then I suppose it's better now that it must be getting a little chilly out there. Still not wearing layers here. That's one good thing about being back here in San Diego.
Not the bike...thankfully...it's still not bad here (50's-60's) I have a leak where the ice maker was hooked up but when the builder finished the basement he covered up the pipe so now I have to take down drywall.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Knowing How to Work on Cars is a gift from GOD?

I dove down a 'rat hole' yesterday. Since the shed I wanna buy isn't in stock, I said 'screw it, I'll work on the brake line on the truck & then replace the rear pads on the bike.'
...I never got to working on the bike.
Dealing with rusted and striped out fittings/bolts, and driving all over NoVA to get the parts took up my day. Today I have to get yet another part (store opens at 0900), cut out the rusted area of the old line, double-flange the end for the fitting , bend the new line, re-assemble everything and bleed the brakes. Right now my neck is killing me, along with a few other muscle groups in my body.
If I'm lucky I'll get to doing the rear brakes on the bike.

There are twin twenty-year olds who have bought the trailer next to mine (yeah, the one that has had 'difficult' neighbors in it for the past 4 years).
I would be "peakin'" if it was twin 20 y.o. girls, but it is two guys.
Their mother lives here in the park, and they grew up here, so I am hoping that they will no be arseholes, but regular 20 y.o. guys (who can still be idiots at times, as we guys know).
Anyway, the aunt & uncle of the wanted felon who used to live there (yep, the guy who use to live there has a few felony warrents out on him-cops came and talked to me a few weeks ago) cleared out about 2-truck loads of crap from that place. I talked to her yesterday, and she said they are going to haul all that crap to the dump on Monday. I'm going to talk to the twins today, offer them some $$$ to haul my scrap pile away since they are going there anyway. That way I don't have to deal with it.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
How did it all work out Tim...(you know I was givin' ya a hard time about the truck right? :D) if it didn't workout we can still do it next Sunday...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Got ur dun.
Finished the brake line repair on the truck.
Test drove it, it works good.
Checked the rear brakes on the bike.
Compared to new pads, they still had over 50% of the material left.
So what I did was adjust the rear brake pedal (I've always thought it needed to be tweaked up).
I'll see about test driving the bike sometime before we all get together on Saturday.

Attachments

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Timmy_D said:

Got ur dun.
Finished the brake line repair on the truck.
Test drove it, it works good.
Checked the rear brakes on the bike.
Compared to new pads, they still had over 50% of the material left.
So what I did was adjust the rear brake pedal (I've always thought it needed to be tweaked up).
I'll see about test driving the bike sometime before we all get together on Saturday.
Good job...man that thing is rusty, yer right, time to buy a new/used truck :D

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Timmy; Looks like your repair was much easier than my last brake line repair. I had to drop the fuel tank to access the brake line. In the process, the copper tubing into the fuel sending unit failed during removal and that required another $ 350.00 in parts. $ 200 for the sending unit and $ 150.00 for two new fuel lines. All told, it took two days and about $ 400.00 total. Glad you got yours fixed. ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mbkodiak said:
Timmy; Looks like your repair was much easier than my last brake line repair. I had to drop the fuel tank to access the brake line. In the process, the copper tubing into the fuel sending unit failed during removal and that required another $ 350.00 in parts. $ 200 for the sending unit and $ 150.00 for two new fuel lines. All told, it took two days and about $ 400.00 total. Glad you got yours fixed. ~!Awesome!
Thanks, Mikey, hope you can figure out whats up with your tranny.

John's right, that truck of my is being held together by faith. I think I have a few more 'things' I need to do within the next 3 months or so where I need a truck (plus I need to file for a lost title-actually I don't think VA ever gave me a real one, just a copy when I had the title transferred from Michigan [that is where it was titled due to me buying from a Marine in 2001]).
Once I got done what I need, I'll have to have my wife follow me to a place that buys junked/old vehicles, get maybe $100 for it and say good bye to an old friend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts