Votes: 26 61.9%
  • It looks like crap..

Votes: 16 38.1%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the pic of what I'm about to try with a beat-up set of hardbags from ebay. Not being happy with the options for bags for the Dyna, I thought this looked better than most aftermarket, and damn sure better than the eggs HD has to offer. And I think the bags look great on the bike. Thinking that the brackets will be attached to the detachable backrest, with some sort of link at the bottom to help stabilize them.

Anyway, anybody think it would look good?:bowdwn:

Brad

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
looks pretty good to me!

if I had to complain, maybe it would look a little better without the bob fender, but that's neither here nor there.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, but that's what I got so I gotta run with it..
Maybe a couple of months of hackin and fillin, but I think I'll have what I want when I'm done. I hope...:blink:

Brad

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
For some ideas, you might take a look at how the Dyna police bikes support the cop bags or the supports on a dresser. The saddlebag support is anchored in the lower rear by a crosspiece attached to the fender. Keeping the bob fender may be a challenge for a traditional look.

You might also check out how BMW attaches their bags. Bags come off like luggage, but check out the mounting scheme for some ideas.

I think you have a great idea, good luck.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
It's your bike, how do you think it looks?
Do you care what other people think? If so then do not do it, because there is always somebody that will say it looks like sh1t.
Add a detachable winshield and you have a good road bike and a street cruiser when you get to where you are going.
I will say this, it's different. Not for or againest it.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed, and I do like the look. I do have the detachable windshield, and the bags would be for roadtrips only. I don't plan on trying to make it a touring conversion, but I do plan on riding it. Like you said, still have a nice cruiser when I get where I'm going.

I wasn't aware that Dyna's were used as police bikes. I'll google that up and see if I can find something. I have been watching ebay for a beatup set of the matching bag mounts to sacrafice, it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the input.

BRad

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
What actually bears the weight of the bags and their contents on a bagger is the rail that they sit on. If you are going to try to "mount" them with the 2 little pins, they're going to crack and give you fits, IMHO. Even on baggers, if they aren't properly seated on the rail you have problems. Just food for thought.
Looks pretty good, though...

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'm getting a set of rail as mentioned, that's a given. Those little pins wouldn't make it a couple hundred miles. I'm just working out how to "attach" the rails to the bike and bag without making them permanent, or a huge bitch to remove.. When the rails get here I'll have more of an idea where to go. Until then it's all just food for thought. %[email protected]

Brad

·
Registered
435 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
Here's the pic of what I'm about to try with a beat-up set of hardbags from ebay. Not being happy with the options for bags for the Dyna, I thought this looked better than most aftermarket, and damn sure better than the eggs HD has to offer. And I think the bags look great on the bike. Thinking that the brackets will be attached to the detachable backrest, with some sort of link at the bottom to help stabilize them.

Anyway, anybody think it would look good?:bowdwn:

Brad
How about posting some pics for us members who can't access yours? I am interested in some bags for my dyna. Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thats the beauty of theses things.Its a matter of personal preference.I saw a guy the other day that glued a freaking model of the enterprise on his front fender.Now Im definatly not saying those bags are like the guy with the spaceship on his bike mind you.But you can do what pleases you and those bags dont look too bad on that bike.Ittl definatly get a few comments.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
There was a similar bike in Calgary that looked pretty cool actually. Unfortunately Oscar Grope ran into it and wrote it off.

I like the idea of setting it up with detachable hardware.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
:yikes:

I expected a few of those replies. No offense taken, my dad feels the same way.

Problem is I don't want a touring bike, can't stand the seating position, but I's like to be able to pack enough to make the trips comfortable. I put 10k on her last year and plan a few more for this year.
I just think that the HD hardbags look the best (lesser of 2 evils) of the bag options available for the DWG..
All good tho, when they are actually finished I'll post some more pics.

Brad

Your opinion is welcome, I did ask. IMO, those pictured above look like turds.. I've seen some good looking leather bags, but still like the painted better..
And with making them "removable" I'll have the best of both worlds..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts