V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding a 9" wide aftermarket FatBob/Bobtail fender to my '02 Tail. I'd really like to stay with the stock looking style struts.

Who has these available?

And at approx. 2" wider than stock, is there any reason why my solo and 2 up seats, (that work on my current stock fender), wouldn't work on the 2" wider fender?

All help leads appreciated....

Thanks,

DLR

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Good luck. I could never find wider stock appearing struts, and I looked around for a year. Now that the 06s are sporting 180's you could probably use those strut covers, but you'll need to re-weld your actual struts.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I could always install chrome spacers between all the frame and fender attach points? Wonder how that would look? Hard to believe these things are so hard to find. Have any idea if the new '06 struts/fenders will bolt on to the older bikes, ('02) as well. I'm headed to the stealer right now. I stop in the shop and see what they say. I'll post here when I retiurn.

DLR

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
Guess I could always install chrome spacers between all the frame and fender attach points? Wonder how that would look? Hard to believe these things are so hard to find. Have any idea if the new '06 struts/fenders will bolt on to the older bikes, ('02) as well. I'm headed to the stealer right now. I stop in the shop and see what they say. I'll post here when I retiurn.

DLR
The bolt spacing is one issue, but remember, they are just covers. You have solid steel arms underneath them that have to be widened also. My thought was to widen the arms on my bike, then use an 06 cover. Spacers alone won't do it, because the frame rails also need to be widened.

Most shops will say it can't be done. All I think it takes is a good saw and a good welder. Course, then you need a wider fender.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the stealer...No dice. Different frame, although they speculate that "A kit to retro the new '06 fender to the older bikes is on the way...."

I'm with you GP003FatBoy.. The fender I can get. Got one lined up now.

I'd have to mock up the new fender, and add the difference in thickness needed at the inner struts on each side, spend a couple of hours fabbing the steel on a saw, migging it to the OEM struts and then blending and ereshaping all the weld filler with a grinder. Of course I'd need to fab the same thickness spacers for the 2 bolt attach point to the frame, (probably out of aluminum). Once I was happy with the fit-up, I'd send everything to the local chromer for a fresh coat of show chrome.

I just dropped my Recluse rear wheel off to have a 160x60x18 Avon put on it. I had to do some work to make it fit, but it does, (Like it belongs on the bike). I've got a 170x60x18 Avon too. Just a little wide for the stock fender.

If I install the 9" wide fender, I'm looking at having it Color Shop custom matched to the rest of the tin work too, (I'm #31/150 in '02 for my paiont scheme.) Not to mention, I'll have to go to a wider Weld rear wheel...

Sounds like economically, it's gonna cost over a grand (+) to get the 170 on the rear. I took the measurements, it'll fit. Might have to remove/modify the inner frame horns for clearance and I'm not sure yet whether I'll have to make adjustments for the fender....

Thank God dreaming is free....LMAO!! I'll check it out and let you know what I find out.

DLR

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
stock style struts

I have a business in Lansing Michigan that specializes in 300mm right-side drive conversions for stock HDs, and we use exterior struts with a 13" fender. By the time you put all your money into your offset kit, you might be able to get a complete installation with a RSD 6-speed included for about the same price. I joined this website only b/c we are getting customers in who have gone to offsets and wish afterwards they knew about us (and we are fairly new-opened last October).The business name is Chubby's Choppers and it's in Lansing MI. Can't post the website here, but easily found on the major search engines, or you can email me if you are interested. There are lots of pics on the site of converted softails. They are pretty sweet-looking.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
Just got back from the stealer...No dice. Different frame, although they speculate that "A kit to retro the new '06 fender to the older bikes is on the way...."

I'm with you GP003FatBoy.. The fender I can get. Got one lined up now.

I'd have to mock up the new fender, and add the difference in thickness needed at the inner struts on each side, spend a couple of hours fabbing the steel on a saw, migging it to the OEM struts and then blending and ereshaping all the weld filler with a grinder. Of course I'd need to fab the same thickness spacers for the 2 bolt attach point to the frame, (probably out of aluminum). Once I was happy with the fit-up, I'd send everything to the local chromer for a fresh coat of show chrome.

I just dropped my Recluse rear wheel off to have a 160x60x18 Avon put on it. I had to do some work to make it fit, but it does, (Like it belongs on the bike). I've got a 170x60x18 Avon too. Just a little wide for the stock fender.

If I install the 9" wide fender, I'm looking at having it Color Shop custom matched to the rest of the tin work too, (I'm #31/150 in '02 for my paiont scheme.) Not to mention, I'll have to go to a wider Weld rear wheel...

Sounds like economically, it's gonna cost over a grand (+) to get the 170 on the rear. I took the measurements, it'll fit. Might have to remove/modify the inner frame horns for clearance and I'm not sure yet whether I'll have to make adjustments for the fender....

Thank God dreaming is free....LMAO!! I'll check it out and let you know what I find out.

DLR
Will HD Color Shop match paint to a non-HD fender? I didn't think so, but let me know if I'm wrong, cause I'd like some paint done too.
Jerry

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're absolutely right. HD Color Shop won't "Color Match" aftermarket tins to match their OEM Color Shop paint. (I mis-worded my statement. Sorry for the confusion. I meant I found someone who can match the HD Color Shop paint.....) 2 reasons I'm told by the Stealer they won't do it..., 1) they don't want a limited production color scheme being duplicated, and 2) Being #31/150, don't know if they would be able to match it in thre first place.

I had a helmet flammed by Preston Doyle. He matched it perfectly. Took 4-5coats of translucent white pearl over the base to do it. He had to add top coats until it matched. 1 coat too many or 1 less, no match.

Supposedly, no 2 bikes of the 150 produced with my paint in '02 are exactly the same, (Minor shade differences). I did find out that HD subbed this paint work out to a firm in AZ when they were painted originally. Wonder if I could locate them, provide my VIN and maybe get some touch-up. Have 1, 1/8" dia. chip in the rear fender under the seat. Can't see it but I know it's there.
Has anybody else ever run into this? Did HD help? Or are we stuck having an indy paint shop match our paint with the color scanalyzer??

DLR

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
I haven't had much luck with color matching (I'm not a painter, unless you count spray cans, LOL). My bike is Sinister Blue Pearl. I've had 3 shops do the paint scanner. None matched the paint, not even close. I bought HD paint, and it didn't match either. Finally had a local guy remix the HD paint to match it. I'd go to someone who will take the time to do all that is necessary to match your paint. Someone who does it alot. And a perfectionist who won't stop til it is right. And then, and only then, will you be happy. Make this known to the painter, that matching the color is VERY important, and if he doesn't want to do it 4 times over, to get it right the first time. Most will say they won't even try to match paint. They'd rather paint the whole thing for you. You bike looks great. Hope you find someone to do it. And the fender/tire thing sounds great. Post pics when you're done.
Jerry

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
HDwidetireman said:
I have a business in Lansing Michigan that specializes in 300mm right-side drive conversions for stock HDs, and we use exterior struts with a 13" fender. By the time you put all your money into your offset kit, you might be able to get a complete installation with a RSD 6-speed included for about the same price. I joined this website only b/c we are getting customers in who have gone to offsets and wish afterwards they knew about us (and we are fairly new-opened last October).The business name is Chubby's Choppers and it's in Lansing MI. Can't post the website here, but easily found on the major search engines, or you can email me if you are interested. There are lots of pics on the site of converted softails. They are pretty sweet-looking.
I noticed your shop the other day while riding on Cedar street.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts