V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who prefers a 2 into 1 exhaust on their bagger? Also why and which system?

I am thinking of going to the Pro-pipe.

Thanks for the info,

Regards, SSC

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
If you want to make more power then 2 into 1 is the way to go. I had the propipe on my prior bagger and liked it. On this bagger I went for the stock headpipes with fullsac recorred slip on mufflers and like that. But if I was thinking power only I would have gone with the 2 into 1 on this bike also. No question about it they make the power and the propipe is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I recently swapped from stock head pipes & SE slip-ons with Kerker/Mikuni P.A.T. baffles to a 2-1 Supertrapp Supermeg system.

I am running the ST with a tapered open end cap & 12 discs & it gave a very noticeable performance boost with my 95" high compression motor.

~John

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Thunderheader 2-1 on my Ultra.

Great sound, great power, great looks.

You can see it at the link below.

Steve

·
Now a bagger boy
156 Posts
Had the pro pipe on the softail. Liked so much put one on the RK. I don't think that I have heard a better exhaust. Also picked up some power over the SE slip ons. Once the weather is better I can finally get it dialed in (have a dfo and it is a little off at over 100).

I had no probelms with the one on the softail, but did have to replace the baffle in the one I got for the RK. The welds broke on the baffle. Not sure if it was a fluke or what. Got a great deal at wallys cycle world.

You will get used to the left side pipe being gone and not even notice. I like it when it is time to check the belt.

The thunder header will likely make the most power, but I think the pro pipe sounds better. The main thing is to get what you like.

comando

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
It's all in the Name...Thunder Header

Get the TH. And get the left false pipe if you got the extra dough. That way you get the performance and keep the dual look of a bagger.

For pics check out the "Rock's New Ultra" thread. Good luck in your decision.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Thunderheader

I recently put a TH / PC and big sucker on my otherwise stock 05 FLHTI. The performance is greast: in 5th the bike steadily pulls from 3000 rpm to ?? I stop around 100 mph. The stock pipes just did not behave like this! love the old-school look and I get comments all the time on the sound. The idle is deep and powerful and when you hit the throttle the sound rips. At cruise you hear a nice rumble; wind noise is louder. The black ceramic coating is a plus.

-bluelab

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have the Pro Pipe on my Road Glide.
I got it not only for the added performance, but also for some heat reduction.
Works for me and sounds great.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Personally I think a bagger is tghe best place for 2to1, the bags are going to hide. Also most of the old bikes I see in pics are all 2 to 1. I think its something you can get over quick.

For me appearance has nothing to do with it. I would like to hear some more though. My bike came with V&H, so until they get scratch to much I will keep them. But if I was doing new I would think long and hard about 2-1. To me I don't undrstand a person who would something that would decrease there performance. Pay to get less.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. I have no problem with the looks of the 2 into 1. I have no problem with a pipe on one side. I don't want a ghost pipe. I would welcome less weight.

Bike is an Ultra, 95 with sert and headwork and se AC and 204 cams. The bike runs good and has around 97 LB's of torque. I have stock headpipes and slip-ons.

The question that plays with me is--would the addition of the Propipe add that much to the current build? I have been talking to various tuners who are well thought of, and I have not gotten the same answer. Some say the pp might add a few HP, but it isn't worth the time or money, and the stock headpipe with slip-ons is a good system. Others claim I would get a large increase and the stock headpipe is not good.:dunno:

Oh well, what to do?

Regards, SSC

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
berserker said:
But if I was doing new I would think long and hard about 2-1. To me I don't undrstand a person who would something that would decrease there performance. Pay to get less.
If money weren't an issue, I would agree, but...

I would have loved to have bought a 2 into 1 but I had to stop the bleeding somewhere as build costs go out of control quickly. For $225, Cycle Shack M series slip ons are a lot cheaper than a 2-1 exhaust. The way I look at it is, get the motor done and if you need to scrimp, do it with bolt on accessories like an exhaust or a carb. Can always change it out later when you have a little scratch laying around.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Fatcat w/ ghostpipe

I run a fat cat myself and love its style and sound....i have the ghost pipe and the only reason is i got it on ebay as a package and it was like $50 more with the ghost pipe used than the fatcat alone new. I would bet the ghost pipe and ghost muffler only weight 15lbs whereas the fatcat weight atleast 30...that thing is surprising first time you pick it up. I ran without the ghost for a bit but it bother me looks wise, so i put the ghost on. From the rear i have twin 4" pipes stiking out, i go around the side and forget i have two tips and see the 2-1. i like it. Plus the 20hp increase compared to the true duals i had on it before. that is dyno droven...saw the numbers myself and they changed the pipes while it was sitting on the dyno.

adam

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
SSC said:
...The question that plays with me is--would the addition of the Propipe add that much to the current build? I have been talking to various tuners who are well thought of, and I have not gotten the same answer. Some say the pp might add a few HP, but it isn't worth the time or money, and the stock headpipe with slip-ons is a good system. Others claim I would get a large increase and the stock headpipe is not good.:dunno:
Check this link for a comparison of different pipes on the same bagger build.
http://www.branchflowmetrics.com/Dressers.html

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:
Thunderheader 2-1 on my Ultra.

Great sound, great power, great looks.

You can see it at the link below.

Steve
I thought you just purchased and installed SPO's on your bike?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Have a Pro Pipe on my 04 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide. Had Thunderheader on my 02 Ultra Classic and 89 Ultra Classic and 86 Heritage and a few more before that. If I had it to do again, I'd probably go back to Thunderheader.

Performance has always been more important to me than looks.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts