V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have found a leaking exhaust gasket and before I replace with another of the SE variety, I thought I'd see if anyone here knows about a better alternative?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Stock or, since you DON'T have Rineharts, the gaskets that come w/ them work well on V&H pipes. If the tech at your dealer is worth a crap, he probably has a pile he didn't use.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Seahag said:
I believe I have found a leaking exhaust gasket and before I replace with another of the SE variety, I thought I'd see if anyone here knows about a better alternative?
The flat SE exhaust gaskets are known to be difficult to get a good seal with. I have read about people using two together to male a good fit. I just said the hell with it when I put on my exhaust, and used the stock crushable kind. I have read that when using the stock gaskets, since they crush, you can end up with a small amount of gasket material protruding into the exhaust port area. I never thought that it could be enough for me to care about (although that may just be my ignorance). It was more important for me not to have a leaky exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lunker said:
The flat SE exhaust gaskets are known to be difficult to get a good seal with. I have read about people using two together to male a good fit. I just said the hell with it when I put on my exhaust, and used the stock crushable kind. I have read that when using the stock gaskets, since they crush, you can end up with a small amount of gasket material protruding into the exhaust port area. I never thought that it could be enough for me to care about (although that may just be my ignorance). It was more important for me not to have a leaky exhaust.
Thats the reason the guy at the parts counter told me to get the SE kind. I think I have a set of the stock cone shaped ones laying around...but I thought I'd check to see what was the latest and greatest before making a decision.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Which ones should you use if you have rhineharts?

·
Banned
69 Posts
Agree 100% with above statement. I used the se gasket because someone said crushables could get into the exhaust stream. However, after having just removed my exhausts and looking at the se's I am sure they were no providing a good seal. Crushables from here on...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
hazer said:
Which ones should you use if you have rhineharts?
I've been told SE by knowledgable people here and put them in when I had an occasion to remove my headers. No problem... just put them on according to the manual and sealed up fine.

I just received my new revised bracket from Rinehart and it came with new gaskets... can't tell the difference from the SE. I read somewhere in their literature that they use something called a James Copper Gasket... like I said... looks the same.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
I had Cometic "race style" exhaust gaskets that were too big to fit smoothly into the resess. They ended up smashing into the port. SE gaskets fixed that problem.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Milehog said:
I had Cometic "race style" exhaust gaskets that were too big to fit smoothly into the resess. They ended up smashing into the port. SE gaskets fixed that problem.

yeah....I saw your posts on HTT...thanks for contributing MH.:beer4u:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts