V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around the idea of selling my '04 FXDI and buying an Electra Glide Standard. Why did you switch to an Electra Glide ? How do they ride ? Any regrets ?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
CosmicC said:
I've been kicking around the idea of selling my '04 FXDI and buying an Electra Glide Standard. Why did you switch to an Electra Glide ? How do they ride ? Any regrets ?

I did, I had a 98 FXDWG, I loved it. It was a problem on extended trips not being able to carry much but that was the only complaint. I do alot of 2 up touring so I moved to a 04 FLHTCI. Both my wife and I LOVE IT. The wideglide was easier to manuver and handled better but the comfort and convienience of the Electra Glide can not be beat. The bagger eats up the interstate and we can pack 2-3 weeks of gear with us for 2 up touring. If you are looking for comfort an Electra Glide can not be beat. Good luck!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Built and road an FXR for many years. Bought an ElectraGlide this past year. My origninal plan was to keep the FXR for my bar-to-bar bike and have the ElectraGlide be for me and the Mrs. So it was all set up with the tour pac, stereo, etc.

This summer and fall, I just rode the ElectraGlide everywhere, It's so much more comfortable and works so much better out on the open road then the FXR, that everytime I had the choice, I picked the ElectraGlide.

This winter I set up the Electra Glide with a Solo seat and removable passenger pillion and relocated the license plate and made the tour pac detachable. I wanted it stripped down for solo riding /cruising and easily made back into a 2-up full tourer when needed. Now the bike does everything I want from it. Needless to say the FXR gets sold in the spring. And I don't have any regrets at all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, back in 99', I sold my Wide Glide and bought a Road King. Loved it!
Since then, I sold the King and bought a Road Glide, sold the Road Glide and bought another Dyna Wide Glide. I kept the Wide Glide for about 6-7 months and sold it for a new Street Glide.

I have always loved the look of the Wide Glides but after riding a touring bike, it is pretty hard to go back to the Dyna. At least for me. The Dynas are rubber mounted, but they do not ride nearly as nice as the Kings or E-Glides. Fairing, bags, windshields, stereo, and general comfort are hard to beat.

Now, if you only ride on occasion, or just local rides around town, the Dyna is a sweet ride. But I ride a good amount and much of that is on Southern California Freeways and the Dynas just don't cut it. Hope this helps........

·
Registered
8 Posts
03 Fxdl To 04 Elctra Glide Standard

NO REGRETS HERE YET, SO MUCH MORE ROOM, I TOO HAVE IT SET UP WITH QUICK DETATCH HARDWARE AND MULTIPLE SEATS, WINDSCREENS FOR TOTALLY DIFFERENT LOOKS. IT SEEMS TO STEER QUICKER THAN THE DYNA MUST BE THE RAKE AND BIG TIRE.
I USED TO BE SORE AND NEED TO STRETCH AFTER 100 MILES AND I DON'T FEEL THAT NEED AS MUCH NOW. GOOD LUCK, LOTTA LOW MILAGE USED BIKES AROUND!

·
Registered
786 Posts
CosmicC said:
In '93 I bought and rode '94 FXDLR until fall of '02, that is when I took delivery of my 100th anniversary FLHTCUI. Took a while to get used to the bagger, but now there is no looking back. I bought it new and rode a '84 FXRT before the Dyna, The FXRT was a model from H-D that was above and beyond anything that who have not ridden one can imagine. Now if the mothership decided to revive the FXR touring model I would buy one in a heartbeat. JMHO
AP

·
Registered
769 Posts
When i decided to get back into riding i picked up a used dyna lowrider to ride ... while waiting on the list for my electraglide classic ......as time passed i found that i was riding the glide 98 percent of the time. The bottom line is that the electra glide will out handle the lowrider by a wide margin ,, its smoother , its more comfortable and generally is just a all around better motorcycle. I sold the lowrider last summer because i only put 300 miles on it the last year i owned it....... Before you buy a glide . ask yourself two questions. Are you going to add any chrome ,, are you going to be riding with your wife. If you answer yes to those two questions ,, buy either the classic or the ultra ......a tourpack is great for touring and two up riding ... your wife will love the glide and she will love the tourpack to put her stuff in that you take even on the shortest dinner ride ......You cant upgrade a electra glide standard very much before you have the same money in it as you would a classic .....cruise control is great as are lower fairings ,, this makes the ultra somthing you might want to be thinking about .......while these big baggers look like they would be more awkward than a dyna ....in realisty the glide is a far better handling bike in just about every way i can think of ..... The FLH is the best platform HD makes ......If you buy a dyna ,,, and stay riding harleys sooner or later you will move up to the glide... you might as well just bite the bullet and go whole hog right off the bat, that is unless you are a new rider ,, then you might wanna start with a smaller bike....... as far as riding with a lady on the back .. trust me guy ... size does matter .... give the woman a bike worthy of a lady ,, get a glide .. my wife called the lowrider a 50 mile bike .... she thinks nothing of doing a 1500 mile run on the electra glide with me ,,,, yes there is that much difference in the comfort of the ride .. rat

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for in a ride, but as you can see above...we're pretty partial to the EGlide. I had a Low Rider for years, and continued to ride it after i had back surgery a couple of years ago. Then I decided to move up to a touring, as the spring suspension on the Dyna just beat my spine up too much. The biggest thing to get used to is the higher center of gravity on the EGlide. I really prefer sitting "in" the bike, like on the Dyna, but you get used to the different handling characteristics pretty quickly. After a month or so of riding the EGlide, I thought it was such a comfortable ride that I sold the Dyna. I agree and second everything that was said by the other guys above.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I have an 03 FXDL Dyna Low Rider and an 04 FLHTCSE Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic parked in my garage.

In regards to the Electra Glide (I had a couple Ultra Classics also, among many, many other Harleys over the years) I think that you'll be very surprised at how easy it is to ride and how it handles. You'll also find yourself just putting a lot more miles on and you don't even plan it that way......it just goes with the territory. The fareing is a very nice feature that makes those extra miles possible without taking a toll on the body. Also, the tunes (I assume you'll get a stereo?) are a feature that once I had them, I don't ever know how I rode without them.

But then, the Dyna is fun to get back on just to toy around with. It feels very small, after riding on a bagger.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Went from an '03 FXDWG to an '05 Ultra.
Ride all day, arrive ready to party, with all your crap. Yank the liners out of the bags and you're unpacked. I should have done it long ago...
Wife falls asleep on the back.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
CosmicC said:
I bought a new sporty a couple years ago, after not riding for close to 40 years. I hardly got off that thing for the first year. I thought the aches and pains were just part of being old. However, after a 500 mile bonsai run in 24 hours on the XL, I bought an 05 carburated super glide, thinking it would be the answer to the harsh ride and cramped seating position of the sporty. WRONG!

That Dyna vibrated so much at slow speeds I couldn't see in the mirrors and the seating position was never right despite three different seats, two different risers, two different sets of handlebars and three different sets of highway pegs. Additionally, the 05 Dyna with its 39mm front forks felt somewhat wobbly in the front, despite an SE fork brace, Progressive fork springs & heavier SE fork oil. The larger 49mm forks on the 06 Dyna's probably handle a little better than the old ones but When compared to the huge front end on the Electraglide, they ain't s**t and besides, 06 Dynas have no dual front brake option in the entire line.

I traded both my bikes in on an Electraglide Classic 2 monts ago and I haven't looked back since. My new-best-friend, the dyno guy, made tuning the EFI with SE A/C & Reinhart True Duals a breeze. The seating position on the new bike is perfect although I removed the rear gear-shift lever so that my left boot would fit comfortably on the footboard. I also am installing fatter hand grips, but that's a minor thing.

Try one, you'll like it! -2$en#e-

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
CosmicC said:
Me. I went from a FXDL to a FHLTCUI...but here again I kept the LowRider. I've jumped back and forth between bikes over the years but that was my latest jump. Love the bagger. Made everything detachable...

o~\o

·
Registered
187 Posts
Went from FXRS-SP to '05 Classic and haven't looked back. Was going to keep FXR like some buddies did but I don't regret not keeping it. My buddies just sit in the garages and they ride their Electra Glides everywhere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like everyone loves there bagger. I can't swing an uprade right now, but I hope to have an Electra Glide Classic in a year or so. Until then I will continue to ride the hell out of my Dyna:chopper: I need to put some more miles on her so I will feel worthy of that Classic. See ya in the Hill Country, I find new roads everyday. Man Texas is huge:yikes:

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Road Glide instead

Traded an 04 FXDLI for my Road Glide, liked being able to go touring 2 up. Second comments about handling, took my RG up to Skyline Drive along a twisty road and was surprized to find it handled better than the Low Rider. Now that I upgraded the engine I have the same zip, squeal, go fast thrill that I had with the dyna.

Love my Glide,:woohoo:

·
Registered
133 Posts
i went from an '03 fxd to an '05 flhtci (smokey-gold) - no regrets.

on the dyna my wife could'nt last more than a couple hours - now we can ride all day - and having the bags and fairing is very nice.

i had to get accustomed to looking past the fairing and the weight - but as the others said, it wasn't a bad transition.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I had a 96 wide glide a few years ago then went to a road glide than a electra glide classic and now have a 06 ultra. Dyna are a great bike but if you want to tour get a touring bike. If you have a bride she will be much happier too.! P.S I am not your typical geezer glide rider as Iam only 39 but learned my lesson early!!!!:yes

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went from 99 FXDWG to an 03 Ultra. Night and day. The Ultra will out handle the wide glide and is better to ride. I had 2 wide glides over the years. I love the look and dig the ride. Just like the ultra for longer rides. I seem to make more miles than the old days.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I don't have an EG (RK), but I can say that having a trouring is going to make my 2-up riding a heckuva lot better! Had problems with the FXDLI's storage capabilities (I just don't think bags on a Dyna look right), and the OL had some problems with the seat - let alone ground clearance.

The size and weight isn't going to take much for me to get used to. Just going to PL's and testing short-stops, slalom, etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts