V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the money? Any problems with them? Do they really fit Sportsters? Which Harley Davidson gas tank with speedo can be easily installed on a Sportster with very little effort?

·
Registered
335 Posts
do a search of posts by misguided, his is being painted but he posted pics and info of the test fit.

·
Registered
875 Posts
What I bought was the stretch tank with dash. Let me tell you up front this is not a simple bolt on application. There is lots of work involved.

1. Tanks are pretty raw, lots of body work to be done.
2. sh1t dont line up like its supposed to, for example the deppression in the tank that the dash actually fits in was off center a quarter of a inch, so I had to fill part of in with bondo.
3. The electrical plug that goes into the back of the speedo will not fit through the hole in the back of the oem speedo when you take it apart, so you have to take the 8 pin connector apart.
4. I dont give a fu(k what they say the coil will no longer fit under the tank, maybe it will with a flat bottom sport bob but it wont with a strech. A pic of my solution is posted below.
5. Many little things to overcome, lots of $$$$ about $350 for the tank, $$ for paint job, about $200 for my answer to number 4 above.
6. There are other problems I have encountered but I cant think this early.

I should get the tank and fenders back today :D

Bottom line is this is a lot of work, and alot of money. It will dramatically change my bike and worth it to me

·
Registered
335 Posts
misguided.. which coil mount did you buy, have seen many but not installed, sure looks like the scooter is comin along.

·
Registered
875 Posts
jay 21 said:
misguided.. which coil mount did you buy
None, just this motor mount from dennis kirk

First quality polished billet aluminum top motor mount
For greater strength and less vibration than stock
Made in the U.S.A. Part Number H14429
Manufacturer Yankee Engineuity Type Motor Mount
$160.95

Cheapest I could find it was $145, but the only one who had it in stock was dennis kirk.

The coil is bolted directly to the engine mount using two spacers between them. I have a chrome coil on the way. Spark plug wires are now about 8" long. I used a FXR ignition mount and mounted it on top of the engine mount.

·
Registered
875 Posts
heres a close up, the arrows point to the spacers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts