V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know whos running drag pipes on a softail or anything for that matter... and actually likes them... im frickin still not happy with my vance and hines bss there not rappy enough... im thinkin a set of 2 inch drags with black wrapping on them or the bassani pro streets i just wish i could here them

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I have a set of drag pipes for my softail, but I've only ran them briefly. To me, there is no better sound than 1 3/4 drags. I like it loud, but most others don't. The best sound is 1 3/4 pipes on a shovel!! :yes:

·
Registered
755 Posts
midnight sporty said:
i want to know whos running drag pipes on a softail or anything for that matter... and actually likes them... im frickin still not happy with my vance and hines bss there not rappy enough... im thinkin a set of 2 inch drags with black wrapping on them or the bassani pro streets i just wish i could here them
The Bassani PS are fooken loud and raspy. If you want it obnoxious and still retain fairly good power characteristics that are incorporated in their design then those are what you are asking for.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
I'm not a real fan of obnoxiously loud pipes. But if you really want to get thrown out of the neighborhood. My father-in-law runs the V&H Big Radius no baffles on his Fatboy. I'm tellin' ya. Even the demons jump in the bushes when he rolls down the street.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a set of the samson drag pipes on my Ultra sometimes. I use the 2 1/4" OD, 2 1/8" ID and installed a thundermonster. Real deep sound. It is pretty loud. Not something I want to use on a long trip but for a day trip they sound good and everybody will hear you coming.

Deac

·
Registered
28 Posts
Big Growls

Try some Big Growl Long Rifles. I have them on my Heritage and they sound great. 21/4 inch O.D. Pipes with no baffles. I paid $160.00 for mine. They have beautiful chrome and come with mounting kit. The long length of the pipes helps quite them down just a little so they aren't too loud in my opinion. They sound like the Big shot longs but a little louder. Check out my pics here. http://harleyzone.tenmagazines.com/showownerpic.asp?u=5653&n=110377&pos=1

·
Registered
197 Posts
mufflers.... or something alike

Hi there,
I see you are looking for advice on dragpipes and the sound (noise to some) that they produce.
I don't have drags, so don't really know if this is of any use...
My evo fatboy has standard pipes but I took the mufflers out of some SE slip-ons. If you get in the hi RPM, they make a hell of Beautyfull noise and while driving normal rpm, it's the wonderfull unrestrained HD sound!
Popping car-alarms has become a normality in hi RPM. ;-)

If you're into horsepower, this is no good idea, but it's a cheaper way to get a great sound out of your engine.

Succes in your search for perfection!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i only asked that question b/c the 2 guys i ride with the most have drags one on a road king and the other a dyna and his bike its not good sounding till he lets off and then it has that classic drag pipe wrapppp and pop, thay try to tell me to put drags on mine but i would like i would lose to much power
I WANT LOUD AND RASPY haha it just plane more fun that way...
i think ill be gittin the bassani PS and trying them soooo.
for sale.. vance and hines BSS for a softail.. with black end caps... only 1000 miles on them perfect condition.. make offer

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
I have the Rinehart flush cuts. Great sound. By the way Ice is Cool- nice choice of color on that Heritage!:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Thanks Fourstar

fourstar said:
I have the Rinehart flush cuts. Great sound. By the way Ice is Cool- nice choice of color on that Heritage!:D:D:D
I like what you've done to your bike. I have been wondering what it would look like without the passenger pillion on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your talking about real 32" drag pipes, yes i have a hand made
set on my softail. I love the sound they make.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Back in 1993 I put a set of "Run Roader" shotgun drag pipes on my 91 FXSTC. I believe they were 2 3/4" pipes with the baffles removed. The noise was incredible. I was stationed in Virginia Beach at the time and had some serious fun on that bike with those pipes.

I think the Rancho Cucamonga CA based Run Roader is long out of business but they had some bad ass pipes at the time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here are some on a 2009 Softail. They sounded pretty good and were loud indeed. I don't care for the look of them on newer bikes though. Rineharts sound pretty good, not as roaring as the vance and hines, as they use a smaller pipe. Try cutting your current baffles in half and seeing how you like the sound....

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 FLHP 1965 FLH 1952 FLH
557 Posts
I temporarily put a set of no name 1.75 drags on my 97 Dyna after my Supertrapp cracked. Loud, sure. Lost a LOT of power. A week later my new Cycle Shack staggered tapered muffler pipes came in. They look stock but a lot louder, sound's like a Harley should to me. Don't feel any less low end compared to the Supertrapp, but over 100mph Supertrapp has the Cycle Shacks beat. The Drags were a pain to tune and were done at 85mph. Threw em on Craigs list for $50. If you want to sound loud around town go for it. Whenever I hear them I just think "loud and slow" my 2 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts