V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people got the Gold Key package and why? In spite of the fact I thought it was too expensive but since I have been on "the list" for 8 years and my wife works for the local Harley Davidson shop and gets a very generous discount I got it anyway. I could have gotten an 02 months ago but my wife and I decided since we waited this long so we would stick with the 03. When it came time to order we decided to go with the 2 tone because it had the most 100th anniversary insignia and because we thought it was the best looking in our opinion. Also since we were going this far we might as well complete the package and get the Gold Key package although if not for her discount I doubt I would have gotten it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got the Gold Key Night Train. It is my first Harley. I don't plan on ever spending this kind of money again so, I got exactly what I wanted. This way I wont regret it later. Dealer says it will be rare, I dont know. He had a box full of Gold keys, happy my name was on one of them.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
rat509 said:
Dealer says it will be rare, I dont know. He had a box full of Gold keys, happy my name was on one of them.
Box full? Rare? Only way it will be rare is if not many people buy it. If he has a box full, then odds are it 'might' be rare. If you're happy with it, that's what matters. Ride and enjoy.....

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
There will be more 2003 anniversary bikes made (probably about 300,000) than any other year in HD history...and probably more than any model year in the near future. They are running balls out for 14 months of 2003 production after several years of increasing their production capacity. More of these bikes will be stuffed away in crates than any other year ever.

In 1998, HD made just about exactly half as many bikes as they will for 2003. If you were buying baseball cards would you go for the one they had made the most of??

Anyhow...if the key package has suff in it you want and the price is reasonable then good for you. But unless you plan to keep it 20 years and leave it in the crate....I wouldn't even worry about "rare".

I saw a few 2003 bikes last week and in person I actually like the emblems....although they seem a bit big on the sportster tank.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Mitch- It's an optional bundle of accessories...mostly 100th logo stuff like upgraded seat, covers, windshields....etc and includes a gold-plated ignition key. Price and content varies by model. I think it is priced slightly lower than the separate prices wouyld add up to.

It is all detailed out on the HD site. Pick a 2003 bike and then click on "customize" to see the package content and pricing. Some of them are also in the 2003 catalog.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey everybody,
Im new to the forum. I have a two-tone 03 Deuce coming in about a month. I asked my dealer for the gold key package. They told me they didn't know how many Harley was going to give them. So, I had to get on a waiting list for that package. Does anyone know how to get my hands on one of these packages if my local dealer can't get it for me? I called another near by dealer who told me "they are in limited supply so we can't sell you one unless you bought the bike from us." Either way gold key package or not, I can't wait until my new ride comes.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
rat509 said:
It is my first Harley. I don't plan on ever spending this kind of money again so, I got exactly what I wanted. This way I wont regret it later.
Like you Rat this is my first Harley. After 27 years of riding *** bikes I am getting what I want too, a two tone Electra Glide Ultra Classic. As for the price range of the Gold Key Package they run from $449.95 on a lot of models, mostly two tone including my Electra Glide, to as much as $2,049.95 on the two tone Fat Boy. If you have the big parts bookk all the prices are in there as well as detail about what is included. BTW my bike is at the dealership right now. It is scheduled for setup as early as this Friday, 8/16 but no later than this coming Tuesday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
[It is all detailed out on the HD site. Pick a 2003 bike and then click on "customize" to see the package content and pricing. Some of them are also in the 2003 catalog. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, Logical
I'm really happy with the 02' that i have, but still can't stop looking at
all the new stuff they keep comming out with.:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
As I said earlier, didnt know about the rare part. Dealer sells some baloney time to time. I do however wonder how many will opt for the gold pkg. Correct me if I am wrong but not all will take that option, and around here, night trains arent at every street corner, well at least not yet. Numbers arent a big sticking point here, just glad to have mine. Keep the info coming though, as I am a rookie but learning things everyday!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the gold package on my 2003 VRod for 2 reasons, first I had to get it because there are only 2 dealers in metro detroit area that sell at MSRP and the other one had a longer list. The dealer I ended up ordering from ordered the first 100 bikes for 2003 that came into his dealership with the package, so I could have waited longer if I wanted but for the 500 it was ( I have the silver and Black model) I didnt mind. The package comes with a Windshield (the super sport mid level one) which I had planned on purchasing anyway, it also has the 100th anniversary end caps which I could really care less about but hey it is included so ill take it, a bike cover, well my bike is garaged however with being in michigan and not being able to ride half the year due to weather ill use it to keep the dust off it but wouldnt have bought one otherwise, and the Gold Key which the only way to get is with the package. The key is cool in that its different and special, is it worth 500.00 I dunno to some maybe but it was worth it overall to me because it helped me get the bike alot faster and without seriously overpaying. Most of the dealers in Metro area are charging 22 - 23k for the bike without any extras so getting it at MSRP + the gold key was a steal as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Logical nope, Detroit Harley told me that the cost for the bike with NOTHING extra would be 22,500.00 I asked if this included any mods or accessories the owner told me no it did not, I then remarked someone had mentioned he sold at MSRP, he laughed and then went on to the next guy rather then look at me again. Its alright cause there was another couple talking to him about a duece at the same time I was in there, out in the parking lot I mentioned to the couple that they might want to check out either RayC's or Motorcity Harley if they didnt mind waiting but would rather pay MSRP, well they thanked me for the advice, and obviously went and bought because when I got the call from my dealer about the VRod being in he thanked me for sending the couple his way, they ended up buying a duece and a sporty.

Thanks for the compliment on the name, I spent the afternoon fighting with the state about getting my personalized plate with the my handle as the number, Ill take a picture when it comes in.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
4nic8 said:
Logical nope, Detroit Harley told me that the cost for the bike with NOTHING extra would be 22,500.00 I asked if this included any mods or accessories the owner told me no it did not, I then remarked someone had mentioned he sold at MSRP, he laughed .............
V-rods must get special traetment....or maybe it's the 2003 thing because I bought my 2002 there at MSRP (Fat Boy) and he did always sell at MSRP from what I heard. Times change I guess. And yeah, I've met Jim/Mr. Personality....I was lucky enough to buy when he was out of town and only had to deal with one of the other guys.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My bike is not due for a few more months, so I have not decided on the package. I am leaning against it, because basicly I only want a few items in the package (the covers with the prismatic emblems) and the gold key doesn't mean jack-sh1t to me. Plus the motorcycle cover is an indoor cover, and I will need an outdoor cover. So I will probably just piece-meal the stuff I want. And yes, it is true that the '03 bikes will be the highest production model year ever. After the "rush" is over, the bikes IMO will not be worth a premium. The exception will be crated bikes and even for them, it require many years to pass (around 20 or so for the average collectible), but that is only speculation on my part, FWIW. All that said, I'm glad I wanted and ordered White Pearl. I just wanted white more than the other colors because I like white the best, but it turns out the red/white/blue bikes will be built in very small numbers. My dealer (a rather large one) will only be getting 2 white Sportsters (all models) for the whole year. So I like the fact that the bike will be very uncommon due to that factor. More than anything, though, I just want to ride the damm thing...

Tom S. (aka The Crawdaddy)
'03 XL1200S on the way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts