V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lazy 98
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been through the Big Twin mod section and see lots of good advice. I like what Dewey's, GMR's and Branch's websites say about stuff, but I really like the idea of a "package" (like JET presents) that I can have delivered to my door, with all parts chosen to work together in harmony (no fighting, now). I wanna do the install myself, and maybe only have to monkey a little with jetting afterwards. Who should i go to, to put this together?

Aloha,

Mike
 

·
Arrogant Bastard
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Mike H. said:
Hey guys,

I've been through the Big Twin mod section and see lots of good advice. I like what Dewey's, GMR's and Branch's websites say about stuff, but I really like the idea of a "package" (like JET presents) that I can have delivered to my door, with all parts chosen to work together in harmony (no fighting, now). I wanna do the install myself, and maybe only have to monkey a little with jetting afterwards. Who should i go to, to put this together?

Aloha,

Mike
GMR has nice 98"kit with millennium cylinders and whichever cams you and Steve decide on for your riding style. He also ports heads and his engines make good power. Dewey is the best when it comes to head porting and can give you a great price on cams and install kit if you go the 95" route. You can't go wrong with either one IMHO.

Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
370 Posts
Mike H. said:
Hey guys,

I've been through the Big Twin mod section and see lots of good advice. I like what Dewey's, GMR's and Branch's websites say about stuff, but I really like the idea of a "package" (like JET presents) that I can have delivered to my door, with all parts chosen to work together in harmony (no fighting, now). I wanna do the install myself, and maybe only have to monkey a little with jetting afterwards. Who should i go to, to put this together?

Aloha,

Mike

Mike,
I just went through the exact dilema... I took a deep breath and went with Steve aka HDWRENCH at GMR ... I had everything delivered to my door within days of ordering. This all happened over the x-mas holidays. Let me tell you I was nervous about the expense and the setup. However , I would call Steve with stupid questions and he always answered even when he was in Michigan on vacation. His technical expertise and patience with novice people like myself was unbelievable... Since my order and install I have put 1100 miles on my build. I am looking forward to the DYNO tune later this month. The bike sounds great and has awesome power. My buddies are shocked when I twist the wick and pull away from them ... and I'm not even 100% tuned yet.. Below is my build from GMR Steve. by the way he now sells heads with his kits. <<<<<<GIVE STEVE A CALL>>>>>>>>


2001 Fatboy
Street Ported Stock Heads
98" Kit 9.75:1 cr
Flat Top Pistons
Comp Lifters
LMR spring
37G cams
Cometic .030
325cfm K&N ac
SE Clutch spring


waiting for Bored manifold & throttle body from 44-48
Then DYNO...

Good luck with your decision. If you go with Steve you will not be disappointed.....
Wayne
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
What do you want?

Mike, a lot of it depends on what you want your bike to do/be.

Are you looking for a stop-light drag racer? That's a whole different bike from a two-up bagger. Do you like to get out and run long miles, or are you more the tavern to tavern rider? Do you want a 200 HP bike, or a 200K mile bike?

I'm not knocking either one; but you're talking about different machines here. What do you want your bike to be?
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
Well thank you for the commnets, we try very hard to provide the customer service that seems to be lacking as a whole in this industry, the sale doe not end when we charge your card, in fact it only begins. I like the phone calls and staying in touch with the customer, as well as a little bs'ing as well.

The 98 kit is very flexiable from offering low end grunt to high rpm power depending on your needs. Use low compression with a small cam like the 37 and have great low end power, bump the compression and a larger cam like a 585 or 625 and have good low end and it just keeps stretching your arms into the upper rpm range. Bagger, or dyna, softail the kit will be able to meet your needs, what ever they are and still be on a budget.

Head work is one thing that cannot be over looked, we have come up with heads ported that are set up to offer some of the best power on a budget. If you want more we have new cast heads that will add even more power reduce the down time. The CNC heads are set up for the 37g build build . The new cast heads are more for the 98 at 10.5 and larger cubic inch kits. The new cast head is set at a very good price for the product you are getting.
They have already turned some great numbers. There are some great products out there that all have a use but getting it to come together is the challange, then getting help once you have bought the items, as well as having someone stand behind it , whatever your needs may be.

Again thank you all for you comments and have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
I have had 2 bikes redone over the winter. One is a street drag and the other a Touring torgue machine. Very pleased with both (specially the Ultra build)....still tweaking out the street drag bike but I expected that. Same guy did both heads and custom cams. The one thing if I had to do over with the Ultra torgue build is I would have bought the 98ci GMR cylinders and pistons but I would not and probably never will use anyone other than the guy who does my heads and custom grinds cams for me.

My point is sometimes the best kit is parts from a mixture of different people.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
146 Posts
wmossy said:
Mike,
I just went through the exact dilema... I took a deep breath and went with Steve aka HDWRENCH at GMR ... I had everything delivered to my door within days of ordering. This all happened over the x-mas holidays. Let me tell you I was nervous about the expense and the setup. However , I would call Steve with stupid questions and he always answered even when he was in Michigan on vacation. His technical expertise and patience with novice people like myself was unbelievable... Since my order and install I have put 1100 miles on my build. I am looking forward to the DYNO tune later this month. The bike sounds great and has awesome power. My buddies are shocked when I twist the wick and pull away from them ... and I'm not even 100% tuned yet.. Below is my build from GMR Steve. by the way he now sells heads with his kits. <<<<<<GIVE STEVE A CALL>>>>>>>>


2001 Fatboy
Street Ported Stock Heads
98" Kit 9.75:1 cr
Flat Top Pistons
Comp Lifters
LMR spring
37G cams
Cometic .030
325cfm K&N ac
SE Clutch spring


waiting for Bored manifold & throttle body from 44-48
Then DYNO...

Good luck with your decision. If you go with Steve you will not be disappointed.....
Wayne
If you don't mind me asking, what did all this run you?
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Here's another vote for GMR. The 98" kit is fantastic. I got me one bad ass bagger now. He did my heads, and has helped with phone support while I've been tuning. I already had cams, so my cost was less then some here. Money well spent.
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
Mike H. said:
, but I really like the idea of a "package" .... with all parts chosen to work together in harmony.
Very smart Mike. ;)
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
jasilva said:
GMR has nice 98"kit with millennium cylinders and whichever cams you and Steve decide on for your riding style. He also ports heads and his engines make good power. Dewey is the best when it comes to head porting and can give you a great price on cams and install kit if you go the 95" route. You can't go wrong with either one IMHO.

Joe
What he said...I have mine, I purchased a "blem" for a discount...I may be old before I find the "blem"...nice kit!!!
 

·
Seasoned Prime Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
%[email protected]
Mike H. said:
Hey guys,

I've been through the Big Twin mod section and see lots of good advice. I like what Dewey's, GMR's and Branch's websites say about stuff, but I really like the idea of a "package" (like JET presents) that I can have delivered to my door, with all parts chosen to work together in harmony (no fighting, now). I wanna do the install myself, and maybe only have to monkey a little with jetting afterwards. Who should i go to, to put this together?

Aloha,

Mike
Well, first off what do you consider a 'KIT'? Heads, cams, pistons and cylinders, lifters and pushrods? I would want a choice in exhaust, camplate,oil pump etc.

Head Quarters makes a real nice kit!!
GMR does too.
Dewey doesn't do a kit per se, but can steer you in the right direction.
Branch makes a kit and a good one at that.
Bid Al's Performance doesn't sell a kit but will put you in all the right parts, give you a lot of choices, and has great prices.

Personally, I want some input into what's going in my motor. Check around here, ther's lot's of real nice builds from experienced guys!!!
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
Kits that offer a package that works together and are a proven performer , work well for most that want to "one stop shop" and get all the parts . We offer just that as many here have bought the 98 inch kit.
 

·
Lazy 98
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Steve, I will give you a call. Being able to ask a question or two makes all the difference in the world. I'm just waiting to see what Uncle Sam is going to do to me this year, to determine the budget. I have an '06 carbbed softail with the V&H Pro Pipe, SE intake, stock carb, and 205/48 jets from the Kehnin jet kit. My honey and I like to go two-up, 'round and 'round the island, and "from tavern to tavern." I want a little more low-end grunt, without going flat like I do now when I hold her open into the higher rpm's over the hill. I also want to keep my chrome spokes-- how much torque can they take? Also, on the forum, I hear there is something different about the '06 cam tensioner that precludes gear drive. Thanx for the responses!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Is 205 on the main to rich for a stock bike? If memory serves me 185 or 190 is stock. I went 5 over on main. I suppose this is somthing that could be debated for hours.
 

·
Lazy 98
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It came with a 190 main. I first went to 200 (per Kehnin's instructions) when i did the intake and the pipe. But it felt a little lean- decent power on the low end, but nothing higher up. Also, a little popping on heavy decel. I swapped that one out for the 205, and I got a little more power up high (without losing the low end), and the popping went away. I checked the plugs after a few hundred miles and they looked clean. There's only one dyno that I know of on the island, and i want to save that expense for when I'm done with my first real build. Where i live, its mostly warm weather, high humidity, and sea-level (the air is thicker?).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Sounds like it works. As for the air, my experience with sleds, is when it warms up you need to lean it out. Sleds run great at about 0. Also its easier for a fan blow warm air, cold air is denser.

But either way its working for ya.
 

·
Arrogant Bastard
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Mike H. said:
Thanks, Steve, I will give you a call. Being able to ask a question or two makes all the difference in the world. I'm just waiting to see what Uncle Sam is going to do to me this year, to determine the budget. I have an '06 carbbed softail with the V&H Pro Pipe, SE intake, stock carb, and 205/48 jets from the Kehnin jet kit. My honey and I like to go two-up, 'round and 'round the island, and "from tavern to tavern." I want a little more low-end grunt, without going flat like I do now when I hold her open into the higher rpm's over the hill. I also want to keep my chrome spokes-- how much torque can they take? Also, on the forum, I hear there is something different about the '06 cam tensioner that precludes gear drive. Thanx for the responses!
I can't give you a definitive answer on the spokes, but mine are holding up to 98ft.lbs. so far(about 1k miles). The dyna's are the bikes with the new cam tensioners, softails still have the old set up.

Joe
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top