V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Best is very subjective. Lot's of quality Head guys out there. "Searching" the subject is good advice.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
I use R&R Cycle exclusively because of the way the torque comes up, the oil cools down, and the customer service. I ported heads here and manufactured my own line of billet heads from 1981 to 2000 for my Hypermotors. In 2000 I went to R&R in Manchester and saw their operation and on the plane ride home decided to quit porting heads by hand. I have never regretted that decision. I have used their heads on 80" Evos, 155" Twin Cams, and on the 190, 205,222,and 260" Promotors. They truly are innovators, not imitators.
We have their heads on 3 shop bikes. Stop by and ride one.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Dan Basiley does a fine job, and the last set he did for me was like 750 for his full job.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Man thats a loaded question. Theres a ton of guys porting now. Its all in what you are looking for. Good luck in your search.

·
Super Moderator
3,231 Posts
I've used three in the past.Of those,I can wholeheartedly recommend two.BigBoyz and WFOLarry.They both do quality work,are reasonably priced and care about their customers.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I called Bob Woods once. He asked me where I live in the country and then he gave me a list right off the top of his head of who was nearby that he knew and recommended. I thought that was pretty cool. Lots of talented people out there all over. Don't think there is a one best at all. -Tutt

·
Registered
517 Posts
Who do you think does the best headwork for twin cam engines and why Reply to Thread

My ex wife was a pretty good wrench, I'd recommend her for headwork but she's outta of the picture. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
My ex wife was a pretty good wrench, I'd recommend her for headwork but she's outta of the picture. :whistle:
Did you say "wrench" or "wench" ?

As for the best heads out of a set of 110's? I like the set Don (deweys) did for my bike, they worked out great, I have also had them done by Bigboyz and from WFO Larry. I also really like all the R&R stuff. I honestly can't say I think one stands out head and shoulders above the others, its all about budget and application in my world.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I can't see how on a smaller build like a 103, 107 or more where R&R's billet heads are not necessary for cooling would flow any better than Larry's, T-Man's, or my own builder Earl Burley of Burley Performance. I agree with BVBob, no one stands head and shoulders above the rest. You can worship and idealize who you want but plenty of good head builders and engine builders out there. -Tutt

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I've used R&R on multiple builds with results good enough to make me buy more. I think the stage 2.5's are around $800, but don't quote me. Haven't used many of the others out there, so can't comment on them. It really depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. I good set of heads with the wrong compression and wrong cam will get you poor results. Ok heads with ok compression and ok cam will get you ok results.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Did you say "wrench" or "wench" ?

As for the best heads out of a set of 110's? I like the set Don (deweys) did for my bike, they worked out great, I have also had them done by Bigboyz and from WFO Larry. I also really like all the R&R stuff. I honestly can't say I think one stands out head and shoulders above the others, its all about budget and application in my world.
Wench! sorry for the type O. :hystria:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Phil, I laughed so hard I thought I was going to spit my coffee out onto my key board. Too funny.

There is no best in my opinion. Do the research and go from there. Have heard all kinds of BS about the 110 heads. Some of it is just plain funny. I used to be amazed... today only mildy amused.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Agree with all, application and then research will yield good results.
Being stuck downunder leaves me a lot less selection on head services.
I have a question for my American friends, currently running a set of R&R cast heads with a HPI 55mm t/body, boarzilla, 120ci(4.5"x4.125"). This engine is primarily drag raced, we are looking to change to a 62mm t/body. Will the R&R heads with 1.94" inlet be able to handle the bigger t/body and utilize the extra air accordingly, or would a head with bigger inlet and matching ports give better results. FYI, we are chasing HP for drag racing purposes, very occasional street use.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Agree with all, application and then research will yield good results.
Being stuck downunder leaves me a lot less selection on head services.
I have a question for my American friends, currently running a set of R&R cast heads with a HPI 55mm t/body, boarzilla, 120ci(4.5"x4.125"). This engine is primarily drag raced, we are looking to change to a 62mm t/body. Will the R&R heads with 1.94" inlet be able to handle the bigger t/body and utilize the extra air accordingly, or would a head with bigger inlet and matching ports give better results. FYI, we are chasing HP for drag racing purposes, very occasional street use.
Send R&R an E mail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts