V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installing WB 2 into 1 right now. header pipe rubs against brake pedal lever. any ideas? also where do the 2 large spacers go? 03 flhtc. thks

·
Registered
354 Posts
truckman said:
installing WB 2 into 1 right now. header pipe rubs against brake pedal lever. any ideas? also where do the 2 large spacers go? 03 flhtc. thks
I had the same problem with the WB E-Series 2 into 1 on my '98 FLHTC.....I don't know why they can't make the damn thing to fit correctly:mad:

Anyway, the brake pedal on my bike is not adjustable. Yours might be, but I don't know for sure. My solution was to put a small dent in the pipe to create some clearance, using the rounded end of a 8 oz Ball Peen hammer as sort of a blunt punch. I removed the pipe from the bike and held it in a vice (wrapped pipe in rubber) while I made the dents using the ball peen as my punch and striking with another hammer. Also check clearance to the rubber boot covering the master cylinder assembly. WARNING - denting the pipe may crack the chrome.....I didn't really care since my pipe was already blued up pretty bad and I plan on having it ceramic coated. Also, not sure if denting will affect performance, although I expect it would be negligible for small dent.

You may also want to experiment with exhaust gaskets...I found that the provided WB non-crush type gaskets made the pipe stand off just a tad more than with my old SE steel mesh gaskets - the WB gaskets provided a tad more clearance.

My kit had one large spacer. The WB mounting bracket mounts beneath the clutch release cover on my bike. The spacer goes between the bracket and the pipe on my bike. Did your instructions say anything about it?

If you're going to use the heat shields - I had another clearance problem between the heat shield and the right front floor board. Check this, it rubbed the chrome right off the shield!

Finally, make sure you clean all grease/oil/dirt off that pipe before firing her up...my pipe has the fingerprints of the dumb #$% HD tech that initially installed it permanently burned into it 'cause he didn't wipe it down thoroughly.

Good luck. I think you'll like the performance:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oldboy99, thks for the reply. mines coming off. it did come with 2 spacers and 2 bolts that arn't long enough. I've banged on it and put probably too large a dent in it. clears the brake pedal now and now just about rests on the pivot pin for the brake lever. am sure when bike is running with the rubbermount shake it will be rubbing something. gonna try and get my money back. . supposed to be a perfect fit. bullsh$t. gonna try the T-Header. thks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Similar problem on FLHTCUI

I loosened the header bolts and didn't tighten until after tightening the bolt to mounting plate (only used 1 washer there). The heat shield still interfered with brake pedal so ground a notch before installing.

White Bros need to adjust pipe lengths to get a better fit but the performance gain was top notch: 11 hp and 10 ft-lb of torque over a wide band of rpm. Now that it is finished I am happy but was a PITA at first.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Same story on my 2000 Road King. Started at the front and worked to the rear. Also used a small spacer on the mount at the trans. It took some cussing, but it finally cleared.

Been thinking about the heat shields. but haven't messed with them yet. Love the performance and sound.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled off the WB and installed a thunderheader. fit like a frick'n glove! heatshields and all. very pleased except for the $'s spent on the WB. shouldn't be brain surgery for WB to make the pipe to fit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna try and get my money back. I doubt I will. put a pretty large dent in it trying to fit it. thought about having the dent removed and rechroming if I can't get money back. really wanted to use it but am happy with the T-header. I've run the T-head on another bike before. WB"s fitting is Bullsh$t. especially for the amount of money. I don't know what I'm gonna do yet. thks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts