V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not the name of a previously undiscovered Delta Bluesman! But rather a peculiar problem that has appeared on my '01 FLHRCI. I have almost finished the running in period (only about 70 miles to go :D ), and today when it was pouring with rain (this is England!) the bike started making weird noises.

When you accelerate in any gear there is a strong "chirping" noise from the left hand side of the engine, and when you roll the throttle off there is a high pitched squeak from the right side of the engine. This happens after warming the bike up as normal, but disappears to some degree once the engine is good and hot (after about 10 miles or so).

Any ideas whatsoever? Should I leave it in the garage or throw it at the dealer? First 1000 mile service isn't for another three weeks, and I use the RK every day.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sounds like it might be the belt, they have a way of making that sort of noise when they get a little loose or wet.

Give it a twist with your fingers to check tension and ride the sumbit(h if it feels right. They are supposed to adjust the belt when they service the bike anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hippo. Sure enough it only makes the noise in the wet. Seems OK once the weather dries out, or the bike dries out (more likely in England!). I'll check the adjustment over the weekend. Rides OK, just annoying - sounds like I've got TweetyPie caught in the rear wheel :D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ogri98 said:
T sounds like I've got TweetyPie caught in the rear wheel :D
Let's see if we can fine tune the noise just a bit. At about 45 mph, does it sound something like...... I tot I ta a puddy tat

Bla Ha hahahahhahah Belt Tension. LOL

·
Registered
217 Posts
That sound you hear is from all the folks watching you as you go by,,,they are whistling at you because you are the man. Your on the KING. Your not hearing the fuel pump are you? Any way it is goo to be the KING ain't it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JimmyK - as long as I don't hear "Th - th - that's All Folks!". RK is the best bike I've had over 20 years of riding. Had ***, Brits, Italian and German over the years, but this is now my third HD and the best yet. Can't ever see me riding anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts