V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. I just had my dealer install a chrome rear pulley, and chrome upper/lower belt guards. But on the ride home I heard a "whirring" noise. Only appears between 15mph and 35mph or so. Or at least I can't hear it above 35mph. Any ideas on what is causing this? None of the new parts are touching the belt, I checked that first. Is it just a "wear in" thing with the new pulley? Your thoughts would be appreciated. My son thinks my V-Rod now sounds like a flying saucer!

·
Registered
82 Posts
probably the upper belt guard is rubbing the rear pulley. i've got the same problem. the solution seems to be bending one of the belt gaurd supports ever so slightly. this is a common problem. from what i've been able to find out, the chrome belt gaurds are made by a different supplier than the stock belt gaurds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the belt guards, and nothing is rubbing. I still get the whirring noise up till 35MPH or so. In fact, I think the noise is still there at higher speeds, I just can't hear it over the wind noise. Any other suggestions? It for sure is coming from the left side of the bike. (maybe the answer is louder pipes so I can't hear every little noise) :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
try running it with the belt guard off just to make sure. also look at the edge of the pulley. on my bike it doesn't look like it's the belt guard that's rubbing, but i'm pretty sure that it is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had to have the dealer replace my chrome rear pulley after about 500 mi. The upper belt gaurd was rubbing on it. I suggested a washer between the mounting surface and the back of the gaurd as a spacer. It looked like it would have worked, but my dealer had already replaced 2 others and didn't want to mess with it. They just ordered new ones. Good luck!

·
Registered
450 Posts
The other possibility is that the belt could be too tight with the chrome pulley. It should be correctly adjusted with the H-D dealer tool.

I'll bet that they just put it on and sent you on your way.

Regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts