V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
not sober all the time
5,481 Posts
Go out drain the oil in your primary and put 10-40w in and if it is still making a noise I will send you the money for the oil (10-40w).
I have 10w40 in the primary of one of my bikes. It makes noise. Can you cut me a money order?

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
"When in doubt - Read the manual" has always been my credo when ever I have a question like this. I never depend on shade tree mechanics to dictate how I maintain my bike.

·
Super Moderator
20,087 Posts
As you can hear this whining started after changing the oil. Used Lucas Synthetic 20w-50 on a 01 Electric Glide Ultra Classic.

Could use help or advice.
That does not sound like a lube issue. Its more like a rub. Were all of the derby screws the same? Any chance something got in there while it was open? Maybe the jack lifted on something it shouldn't have?

Past that, take a length of heater hose and try to locate the noise, open the derby and listen to see if its louder on the inside of the primary.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This ever get sorted out...what was the noise? Clutch hub bearing, tensioner shoe gone and chain hitting metal, alt. ring loose....interested in findings

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 10w40 in the primary of one of my bikes. It makes noise. Can you cut me a money order?
What are the years of the bikes that you have. Because for some reason the newer bikes are like some people are saying are using the 20-50w in all three holes and does that apply to the older bikes like my 1999 Electra Glide. My manual is using three different oils in the three different holes.
This is funny and I am glad my bike is not doing it. I listened to that noise over and over again and it is sounding like a rubbing noise like a bearing has dried out, and if so why? Could a bearing make that kind of noise? He has a 2001 Electra Glide and I have a 1999 Electra Glide. Is 20-50w to thick for the older bikes? It is starting to sound like a rubbing noise and there are only a small amount of moving parts.
Ok but has the guy having trouble tried a 10-40w yet. Talk to Us Dude.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts