V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can hear this whining started after changing the oil. Used Lucas Synthetic 20w-50 on a 01 Electric Glide Ultra Classic.

Could use help or advice.

·
not sober all the time
5,368 Posts
Did you just drain it then pull the clutch cover and fill it? I'd start by pulling the clutch cover and taking a peep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, while it was draining I pulled both the primary clutch and inspection cover and looked around before refilling it. I had just rode it the day before and even had it started a couple of times yesterday after changing the mail oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As you can hear this whining started after changing the oil. Used Lucas Synthetic 20w-50 on a 01 Electric Glide Ultra Classic.

Could use help or advice.
I used 10-40w Synthetic for primary, 75-90w trans , 20-50w - that is the weight you use for the engine. One more thing , did you fill the primary with the bike standing straight up because if you checked and filled you primary with the bike on the kick stand than the primary does not have enough oil in it. Check the primary with the bike standing straight up. I use a motor cycle stand to help with that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would Drain that 20-50w out before you hurt your bike, 20-50w might be to thick for the bearings in the primary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea , I know you can run other weights of oil in the primary , owners personal choice.

I am just going by what my manual says for a 1999 Electra Glide.

Let us all know when you figure out the whining noise , so if mine starts doing it.
Thanks have a lovely Day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let us know if using that weight oil helps, make sure you get the proper amount in that primary. I still am going to stick with the 10-40w synthetic oil that I got in my primary.
Have a lovely day!

·
Registered
67 Posts
When did they start recommending heavy gear oil for the primary? Ive used Mobil 1 syn Primary oil successfully for quite a while now in the Twin Cam, and Redline Primary syn oil in the M8. I use the heavier stuff in the trans but not in a chain case

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
not sober all the time
5,368 Posts
When did they start recommending heavy gear oil for the primary? Ive used Mobil 1 syn Primary oil successfully for quite a while now in the Twin Cam, and Redline Primary syn oil in the M8. I use the heavier stuff in the trans but not in a chain case

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Since they found something new to sell. I first noticed it on the shelf a few months ago.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Technically I am not sure if HD has gone away from the" 20-50 in all three holes" sell, I just asked if they had any Primary or Transmission oil and the parts guy showed me this....

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, they are thinner than the figures suggest. That 80w-140 gear oil is probably about the same viscosity as 20w-50 motor oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why don't you get online and find out what the owners manual says for your kind of bike for the primary oil. Have you tried what Harley has said about 80w-140 in your bike yet. And I am with that other guy , not using a stiffer oil in the primary. Go out drain the oil in your primary and put 10-40w in and if it is still making a noise I will send you the money for the oil (10-40w). But find out what the manual says for your bike, Some parts guys don't know enough, they think they do.
This is the way I look at it, a thicker oil is going to stay closer to the spinning parts , but like in the primary it needs to be thrown around all over and thrown into the bearings for the clutch.
I don't know every thing but you have an Electra Glide and so do I , so?

Please let us know what you have done to stop it so others can learn.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts