V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may or may not want to keep the legal aspect of this out of your decission.
I know I will get your opinions goes with out saying

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
How old is my kid? 5 or 15, or what? Makes a big difference.

I agree with Trooper, but at least the beer wouldn't make me wonder (nearly as much) about who he/she has been talking to.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Alcohol is a significant part of everyday American society in a way no other drug is.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Let me see what kind of people does illegal drugs sales support and where does that money go? It goes into the hands of people that you wouldn't trust with your gold fish.

And how many Americans are legally employed and legally paying taxes and legally supporting their families right here in the US? Budweiser (A-B) alone employs more than 15,000 people in this country. Miller has a another 6,000 and from what I hear they're merging with Coors so expect that to jump too.

So if its comes between my kid using his lunch money to support the illegal drug trade or the legal alcohol business, i'll take legal everytime.

·
OWOF
1,077 Posts
Yeah, it is just too bad that it still isn't the legal marjuana trade. Smoke a joint, eat a Twinkie, take a nap - nobody gets hurt.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Beer!

Smoke weed and you want a beer, then it goes to snorting coke (do they still do that?) and then you're up to a 12'er a night. That was me about 100 years ago...

But I still drink beer, just not near as much.
And my paycheck lasts a who lot longer now!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Didn't vote because you did not leave an option for neither. I don't see either one as being a lesser evil than the other.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
They are both stepping stones to worse things, I saw too many friends messed up from both, but weed seems to be the one that is by far the worst, yeah, nothing happens from using weed, nothing, most of the potheads from back in highschool are still just potheads and havent done chit with their lives, other than get into worse things in some cases. I cant really speak from experience though, 43 years old and have never even tried the stuff, and damn sure I never will. I'm sure that's hard to believe for some of you but I just really never felt the need or the urge. Alcohol, now that's a whole different story, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are two of my favorite people, but most of the time I know when to put them away before they get the best of me, most of the time that is. Or, how about we modify the question a bit, if your 17 year old daughter was out on a date, would you rather she had a beer, or smoked a joint?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Neither is better. I know a lot people who smoke and none of them have turned to harder drugs. The only time I've been tempted to do coke is when
I've been drunk. Hard to answer for sure. Does American beer contain alcohol? Cause' I know it does'nt have any flavor.%[email protected]
Kris

·
Registered
179 Posts
Both can ruin your life. Both can be a positive addition to your life experience. If you are truly your kid's friend, catching them with either one shouldn't be much of a problem, you just hafta talk it out.
That said, I'd rather see him steal the beer I keep in the fridge for guests than have him rob my stash. ^rolleyez^

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Beer for me. Never messed with the stupid sticks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
BEER..

I have never withheld Beer from my kids. From the time that they WERE very young, if they wanted a sip no problem. I have even offered them a beer of their own if they wanted, they have only taken me up on it a couple of times. Of course they are only 12 and 15.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Bikertrash99 said:
Both can ruin your life. Both can be a positive addition to your life experience. If you are truly your kid's friend, catching them with either one shouldn't be much of a problem, you just hafta talk it out.
That said, I'd rather see him steal the beer I keep in the fridge for guests than have him rob my stash. ^rolleyez^

First of all parents have to be parents and stop trying to be your kids best friend. Maybe later that will happen but when they are teenagers it certainly does not work.

Second.. go buy your own beer the ones in the fridge are mine:yes:

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is a real toss-up for me. however, until my kid (or g/f's kids) are out on their own, or at least can prove they're ready to be on their own, I feel beer is a much lesser evil.

At the same time, I like the pot-heads I meet much better than the drunks.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
A little of either won't hurt them, but pot seems to make them lazy. It did me when I was a kid and it does 2 of my adult kids, bad attitudes. They both drink a few beers a week also. There is no good answer, it depends on what else they have going for them. Pot can be a lifestyle, and it isn't pretty.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts