V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking out different removable windshields and would like to know if there is an advantage to going non-Harley. They all seem to end up priced about the same if you use Zannotti's. The Switchblade offers a lock, does anyone feel this is necessary?

Tom

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I put on a Memphis Shades purchased through J&P Cycles and couldn't be happier with the quality of the product and their service. The detachable mount is easy to install, secure during the ride, and so convenient to use that the windshield goes on & off at a whim. When removed, only 4 chrome collars w/studs remain in the forks & look fine. Since you need a tool (an allen wrench) for removal, it is no more apt to be stolen than the other parts of the bike.
The most difficulty was in deciding which of the many Memphis Shades to choose. I picked the Del Rio. I'm only 5'7" on a FXSTC w/stock seat.
BTW, I like that seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same here - Memphis shades- on my 06 FXSTI, actually bought it because HD didn;t have theirs in stock, and we were headed on our first big trip. Iron Pony in Columbus had it, so that's where I went. I got the 19"...its about an inch too high, cut job this winter coming up!! I'm 5'9", stock seat (which I also love- 10K since June and never bothers me).
On and off all the time...easy and fast, the rings look ok when it is off.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take a better look at Memphis Shades. I'm about a half inch shy of 5'11" so the 19" will probably be just right.

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Check ebay before you buy - americanclassicmotors (user ID) had the best prices on Memphis Shades last time I looked.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check the forum!

Mac4020 said:
Check ebay before you buy - americanclassicmotors (user ID) had the best prices on Memphis Shades last time I looked.
You might want to look at the dealership forum - there's a pretty long discussion regarding American Classic Motors - and it's not pretty. Jim

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads-up. Interestingly, I've ordered from Cycle Spot, also not well loved in the dealership forum, and had good experiences both times. Perhaps it's best not to order when the moon is full on the third Friday of the month or some other hoakie combination of events. I feel lately, that buying almost any retail goods is a crap shoot.

Tom

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kemosabe2 said:
I put a Memphis Shades El Paso 19" on my FXST yesterday, bought it from Cyclespot.
Did you have a good experience with Cyclespot?

Tom

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
JOHNNYWISHBONE said:
did windvest deuce. VERY GOOD THING..... fwiw, jp

Same here....it's got looks, quality, and it does what it needs too. :)

Post pics when you get the one you want!

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info on Windvest. I'd have to see one. I am pretty much drawn to a classic look, but I'm open for new ideas as long as I see it first.

Tom

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
TomD said:
Thanks for the info on Windvest. I'd have to see one. I am pretty much drawn to a classic look, but I'm open for new ideas as long as I see it first.

Tom
Hey Tom! Click the link in my signiture. There you'll see pics of a windvest...rock on! ~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I use a windvest as well. You can see it in the pic below.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carrie said:
Hey Tom! Click the link in my signiture. There you'll see pics of a windvest...rock on! ~!Awesome!
It certainly flows well with the looks of yours and kjjdret's bikes. Are you folks happy with the width?

Tom

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Windvest screens are thicker than all the others.
depends on how fast your max speed DRIVEN. thinner screens deform at high speeds. will really affect aerodynamics (handling)
if you're ever going to go 100+ windvest is the only safe choice.
form follows function. i go over 100 every day. socal commuting.
some harleys won't go 100+. isn't it a matter of personal priorities?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts