V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on which windshield for a 2003 Fatboy, Detachable Low-Profile that is lightly smoked or the Detachable Anniversary Windshield.

How much difference will the full size vs low-profile make for wind blockage for winter riding? Will the "lightly smoked" of the low-profile be noticable?

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
That isn't the right question...it's all about how tall you are. You want to be looking over the top of it when looking a nornal amount of distance ahead, but just barely. i am just under 5'10" and sit up fairly straight and the low profile is perfect for me.

The smoke is barely noticable but looks a little better with dark color bikes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The low profile HD windshield is 17" high above the headlight cutout.
As you are sitting on the bike, measure the distance from the tip of your nose to the headlight. That should approx. be the height you need.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a tad over 5'10". Guess I better figure out how much bigger the Anniversary is than the Low Profile. Thanks...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I went with the king - size (de-tachable) on my 02 Fatboy. Love it at night for the bugs and it helps alot now that it is getting cool out . I had sport windshields on my 2 previous bikes and the King makes a big difference from them as far as blocking the breeze and bugs . Also , it is a nice option being able to take it off when it is hot out . Adios

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As per the pictures of my bike http://209.151.86.249/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5271 I went with the smoked low visiblity. I am 6 foot 1 inch and like to see over the top of my wind screen. The wind screen blocks most of the wind with the remaing bit hitting the top of my helmet, noticable at 65 plus mph, but not that bad.

With full face on ya don't even notice it :D

The full size doesn't come in smoked and didn't fit the look/style I was going for;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input... Texxen, what's the chrome oil filter got to do with windshield choices? :D

JFSCheck, (Nice Bike by the way)

I was interested in the low profile windshield, but I see that it is made for FBs with the chrome headlight Nacelle. I assume without the Nacelle the windshield loses some effectiveness? Not sure if or when I will get the Nacelle, so maybe this windshield won't work.... mostly want the windshield for cold weather/night riding.... and it's gotta be detachable.... Thanks again to all...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
How do ya make a cool ride look like $hit??? Add bags and windshield. DOHHHH! How the hell are you going to get yer protein if you block all the bugs?????

·
Registered
110 Posts
NCfatboy,
I believe HD makes 2 low profile shields, one for the nacelle and one without. Either way, you can easily cut the windshield to fit. The nacelle kit comes with a template to cut an existing shield. I just cut 2 windshields this weekend with a Dremel tool, piece of cake.

·
Registered
985 Posts
OK I was waiting for a comment like yellowFB-
If you really had wanted a Heritage Softail, why not buy it initially?
Converting a FB to a Heritage gets expensive.

I'm back quiet now.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
chops said:
OK I was waiting for a comment like yellowFB-
If you really had wanted a Heritage Softail, why not buy it initially?
Converting a FB to a Heritage gets expensive.
Because I like the Rims and Fenders better from the Fatboy, and I like my bags, windshield and seat better than the Heratage!

And ya needed to ask?:D

http://209.151.86.249/forums/showth...=&threadid=5271

·
Registered
565 Posts
I tried the HD compact and got no head buffeting, but did get a LOT of air from the sides and top of the tank up under my nose chin and eyes. No adjustment worked. Finally got the HD detachable Tour Windshield and it worked great! Only problem is it's big and ugly but perfect for two up riding to Yosemite or the South Rim of the Canyon. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was looking for a wind shield for my Deuce the long trips and cold winter here in Nebraska. I tried the HD low-profile 57824-00A, and the head buffing was real bad. Got a head ache in one mile. Took it back immediately. So I'll be checking the next one out real well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts