V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add more power to my bike. I would like to be over the 100/100mark. I ride a 07 RG and I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go in achieving these numbers. The one thing I don't want to do is generate more heat than this 96" is already putting out. I currently have an S&S dual intake, Bassaini RR and TMax auto tune.

My question to all you experts out there is which way would you go? Should I build upon the 96 with complimenting cams, heads, etc? Or go with either a 103 or 107 providing the bike doesn't run hotter. I want power but it has to be reliable and drivable in all riding conditions. Your advice is very much appreciated.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
No Replacement For Displacement

First, I'm no expert but I have spent several nights at Holiday Inn(Express).

I'd go for the 103 & toss in a cam. From your starting point it is more cost effective in terms of $/CID than the 107. (I think the 107 would require case bore)
Have it tuned by the best you can find.

Be very picky about who does your work. (voice of experience)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The 107 is no case bore, the Revolution ones have Nikasil coated cylinders, GMR sells them and are great to work with. They have nice heads available too .

With what you have already a 103 should do 100/100 . My all HD stage II 103 is close on hp and over on torque. If warranty isn't a concern , the 107 would be my preference , Steve has a kit
http://www.gmrperformance.com/Twin_C...e_Packages.htm

Also worth considering is the new TW54 or R&R 525 cams

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
We consistantly get 105/110 with our R&R stage 2-1/2 on 96" kit conservativly, takes out 20-50 degrees, great linear/ low end torque and as mentioned in many other posts on this and other forums is reliable as you can get.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
nidan said:
The 107 is no case bore, the Revolution ones have Nikasil coated cylinders, GMR sells them and are great to work with. They have nice heads available too .

With what you have already a 103 should do 100/100 . My all HD stage II 103 is close on hp and over on torque. If warranty isn't a concern , the 107 would be my preference , Steve has a kit
http://www.gmrperformance.com/Twin_C...e_Packages.htm

Also worth considering is the new TW54 or R&R 525 cams

No case bore? Well then, 107! More is better.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
madurodave said:
I would choose option D: 110"!
On second (third?) thought, yep 110. More is better!
I think that will need a case bore?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
jerry34208 said:
On second (third?) thought, yep 110. More is better!
I think that will need a case bore?
The 110 needs a case bore. If you are going to buy new cylinders anyway, you might as well go bigger. The 117 is real nice. There are some that don't like any bigger pistons with that crank, because of the shortened skirts needed with the 4.25 pistons and a 4.375 bore.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KingofCubes said:
We consistantly get 105/110 with our R&R stage 2-1/2 on 96" kit conservativly, takes out 20-50 degrees, great linear/ low end torque and as mentioned in many other posts on this and other forums is reliable as you can get.
These are interesting numbers and you say it will run cooler. You also mentioned that more is better. I definitely don't want to go bigger than a 107, I do a lot of stop and go city riding. Are the 107's as ride-able and as reliable as your 96 build? Do they run hotter?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
How about slapping on a set of those R&R od Hillside stage 2-1/2 heads and a wood TW 6-6 or R&R 525. With what you have already, it should be exactly what yer looking for at an extremly reasonable price and be as dependable as can be.

HMMM, am I trying to talk myself into something???

This happens to me every winter (it's here BTW in OR), my mind starts wandering and thinking about going faster....

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
adlerx said:
How about slapping on a set of those R&R od Hillside stage 2-1/2 heads and a wood TW 6-6 or R&R 525. With what you have already, it should be exactly what yer looking for at an extremly reasonable price and be as dependable as can be.

HMMM, am I trying to talk myself into something???

This happens to me every winter (it's here BTW in OR), my mind starts wandering and thinking about going faster....

As of now those R&R stage 2-1/2 heads and one of the above cams sounds like the best advice so far. Unless some one convinces me that a 103 or 107 would be better.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
RG7 said:
These are interesting numbers and you say it will run cooler. You also mentioned that more is better. I definitely don't want to go bigger than a 107, I do a lot of stop and go city riding. Are the 107's as ride-able and as reliable as your 96 build? Do they run hotter?
They do not run any hotter than the 96's and simply have more torque and hp. The low end torque makes them very street friendly. Even the larger 155's are docile enough for the street but you better pay attention because if you twist the throttle you are going to be at someone's bumper quick.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
How big can you go, before the crank runout becomes an issue? It seems the concesus is, mild builds are ok. Something to think about before you start buying kits.

I am kinda leaning towards head work and cam. IMO for a good rideable build, you got enough displacement with 96".

But of course, there is replacement, for discplacement.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Better

KingofCubes said:
@gree: @gree: @gree: @gree:

If a little is good- then more is better.
That's what she said.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
110"

Same labor for an all cylinder 117" or 124". The only difference is the Moco cylinder/piston(4.060 bore) is less expensive. They retail @ 720.00 at one of local dealers here.
Scott

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KingofCubes said:
They do not run any hotter than the 96's and simply have more torque and hp. The low end torque makes them very street friendly. Even the larger 155's are docile enough for the street but you better pay attention because if you twist the throttle you are going to be at someone's bumper quick.

Great, back to square one again, now I like the way this 107 sounds. Just when I came close to deciding on the 96 with cams and heads.

So which is the ideal build for these new engines? I know, I know, it all depends on how you ride and what you're looking for. But if you had to choose just one, for that million dollar question, which one would it be?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
That's a tough one, things to consider :
A good set of matching cams and heads regardless of displacement will give you better power and quicker acceleration regardless of displacement.

Adding more cubic inches allows for more power for 2 up, loaded riding.

Having been down this road twice , my advice would be to not give in to the "Tim Allen Syndrone" and really consider what you need, versus what will give you the most bragging rights.

I went that route on my first build , and ended up with a wicked fast ride that became unpleasent for day to day use. Now I have an acceptabley powerful ride that is a joy for all day rides.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
take into consiredation also, going over 103 is more costly, and you will have to add biggger throttle body/injectors.

add minimum $1000 extra if going over 103

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I think that the Delphi is good to 120 hp, but I might be wrong. I do know someone who has the 114 build using a stock unit. These stock units can be modified.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts