V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry im not realy a harley guy, but im researching an engineering project for college that will use a harley engine, and other commercial products. Its not like we'll ever build anything, its more of "make it work on paper project". So what i need to know is which direction does a harley turn, so i can mate it to a properly corisponding transmission of my choice.

By the way if anyone wants to know, my project idea is customize a bike so the engine is turned 90deg, v into the wind. kinda dumb eh, but its only in thoery for a school project. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same direction as the wheels.....

As far as turning it 90 degrees, I've got one of those too. A shaft driven 1982 Honda CX500 Custom. The cylinders sticking out the side keep the wind off my legs. Anyone want to buy it? I need room for the OLs ride (when we get it).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got one too...except mines a Moto Guzzi and it needs a whole lot of attention. Sned, You interested? ;) I'll sell it to YOU cheap. :p

Dave

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I guess you are serious

Counterclockwise when looking from the primary (drive) side.

Look at the little Corbin three wheeler, they use the exact cofiguration you are looking at, with a Harley engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, i was aware of the corbin merlin. They told me throgh email that they used a modified VW transaxle (ring gear flipped) spun around backwards. So i wasn't sure which direction a harley turned. Another idea i am purseing for this project is to mate a harley with RWD automotive type tranny (perhaps a chevette or pinto). Kind of like the corbin but with four wheels and rear wheel drive. Mini hotrod with big HD power and sound. Again guys its only intended to work in thoery. But hey who knows, everything has to start as an idea. If i where to ever build a contraption like this i would tend towards the car idea rather than the bike idea, but i think ill stick with the bike for the project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts