V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,
i need your opinion regarding this:
i will be selling my bike with a 1340cc rev tech engine for a 'pure' harley, which of all those sportster models should i get?i would definitely love the 1200 custom but honestly i am a newbie so no knowledge about any of them...tia

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
My last Harley was a '92 FXRT (1340). I got a '03 1200S a few weeks ago. I love the bike except for the exceptionally uncomfortable seat which I just changed to a Mustang Sport Tourer. I also put highway pegs on it, opened up the pipes and carb and added a sport windshield. It rides great now. XLH, Custom or Sport? Just depends on what you like most. They're all great in different ways.

·
Registered
335 Posts
other than 883 or 1200 looks are the major differances, buy the one you like the look and feel of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks,how about the vibration?i've heard later models were de-vibrated

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Vibrations

rouel74,
Noticed in most of your post, you questioned vibration. Not sure if you're talkin engine vibration, but that I'll presume. The Sporster still come with the Evolution engine ( and I don't believe rubber mount), the new Twin-Cam 88B, features twin counter balancers the the Company claims fully cancel primary engine vibration. Keep in mind, its still a 45 degree twin, there is vibration (or rocking). That's the heart of the Harley (IMHO), the pa-ta-to from the 45 twin. If you buy a Harley, you are going to have vibration at idle and at speed just not as much as in older engines.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Rouel74,

I have a 2002 883 Sportster Hugger and the first thing I knew had to be replaced was that awful stock solo seat. I could only ride for about 30-45 min. before my rear end went numb. I bought a Corbin gunfighter seat and it made a huge difference in comfort and the ability to ride longer distances without stopping for a break.

However, if you ride at speeds of around 70 mph and up you can really start to feel alot of vibrations in your rear end and your hands and arms.

I feel that the 883 is a better value than the 1200. Everything is basically the same except for the bored out engine which you're paying around $3,000 extra for from the factory. For the price of a 1200, your probably better off paying a little more and getting one of the big twins.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with 02 Sporty, but only to a point. When you compare an XL883 to an XL1200, the 883 is a better buy, because you can convert to 1200 for much cheaper than buying a 1200. But if you compare a 1200 Custom or 1200 Sport, I feel they may be a better buy simply because you would be hard pressed to upgrade to that much chrome on a Custom or performance hardware on a Sport (PLUS the difference in cc's) at a reasonable cost.
My .02 cents

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Re: crawdaddy's last post.....I agree. I got my '03 1200S at MSRP which was $9130 (Gunmetal Pearl), I think. It would have been about $8600 in a standard color. I think that's quite a bit of bike for the money and a lot cheaper than the Big Twins here. I've been told I got a terrific price. I don't know what they sell for elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here is my .02 cents. I bought the 883Custom for several reasons. Mainly, looks, and its much cheaper/better to upgrade an 883 to a 1200. With the 883/1200 conversion I have a quicker bike than a stock 1200 (not 1200S). I love the looks of the Custom model. Comes with forward controls, solid rear/21" spoke front, lots of extra chrome, but a TERRIBLE seat. I will have spent about $700 on the conversion once I am finished...and that is with about $300 in Labor from a local shop. All this info is purely subjective...this is what I wanted...and I got it! Couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Damn Troop, that is an exellent deal. I paid more, but was able to get a next to impossible to get color (White), so count me happy also :D IMO, the 1200S is Harley's best kept secret. The bike flat hauls ass, to go along with the best suspension and brakes on any Harley. I ordered a Sport sight unseen, they probably make 10 Customs to every 1 Sport, but I couldn't be happier. AWESOME machine...BUT- choose what you like, and you will be happy.

Tom S.
'03 XL1200S White Pearl
"Cotton Picker"

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ride an '00 sport, but I have to disagree on a few points above.
The first is that you can't build a better bike for less money. The cheapest 883 is $6160 with freight, and the Sport is $9145. This leaves you with about $3k for upgrades. Assuming you do the work yourself, you can take $3k and make one hell of a fast Sporty. Do a Buell Thunderstorm conversion (or even better, a Nallin 1250) and you're off to a great start. The bottom line is that if you can turn a wrench, you can make everything about the Sport, only better. Dual disks (why not go with the floating roaters?), 1200cc (thunderstorm conversion), adjusable shocks (get some progressives, you'll never adjust the ones on the sport anyway).
With all of that said, I'm glad I got my sport. Compared to my girlfriend's hugger, its no contest. Plus, I get some performance (drive the new Buell and you'll be jealous) under warranty. If you do all the conversions I listed above to a new bike, you'll void the warranty immediately.

What I would love to do is by a base model 883 that is a couple of years old and really make is scream. Of course, I'm holding out that HD will remove their head from their ass and put the new Buell motor in the Sportster and actually make the damn thing "Sporty".

·
Registered
347 Posts
Norman74 said:
Of course, I'm holding out that HD will remove their head from their ass and put the new Buell motor in the Sportster and actually make the damn thing "Sporty".
I agree. That would turn the Sportster into an awesome bike.

I demo rode one of the Buell Firebolts and it made my Sportster feel like a moped. Although they are overpriced and underpowered compared to foreign sportbikes I thought it was a blast to ride. It had both low end torque and high end power. Heck, I got up to about 80 mph in third gear and it felt like I was going much slower.

They should put the Buell engine in the Sportster and put the V-Rod engine in the Buells. Then you'd have 2 kick-ass bikes. And it might make younger people actually want to buy a H-D product.:)

·
Registered
629 Posts
02 Sporty said:
They should put the Buell engine in the Sportster and put the V-Rod engine in the Buells. Then you'd have 2 kick-ass bikes. And it might make younger people actually want to buy a H-D product.:)
Want to know something sad? HD will never run a big engine in the Buell. HD wants younger people to get a Buell, get tired of it and 'move up to a real bike'. Instead, they buy a TL or a GSXR.

I like Harley's, I like Buell, but together is a waste of good potential. I to do wonder if the Sporty will ever get the XB engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
HD certainly does have their little marketing games they like to play. I think that now that they have the TC88 with little vibration, they will never upgrade the Sporty. They want you to get carpal-tunnel in your wrists from the vibration and be FORCED to "upgrade" to a BT.

The big thing with the new Buells is handling. I thought I was going to dump it a couple of times, but it really takes the turns fast. That's the only thing that makes it better than the big crotch-rockets. Of course, for the same $$ you could get a Hayabusa.....

·
Registered
629 Posts
The Bus is a nice bike, but going straight isn't my thing. Sure, 200 MPH is a rush, but how often can you do it, without getting caught.:D I actually hear people say that they like them for longer rides. Appearantly they are pretty comfy. I find my X to not be half bad, I can only imagine something that long.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I dont think the new firebolt motor is all that its hoopla crack up to be. The Firebolt only has 400 lbs to move and yet it can only muster a 12.2 in the 1/4 mile. That folks is sad. The bike to me felt slow and I dont see how adding 100 lbs and reducing the HP to fit a Sporty will benifit much. Surely it should make a slightly quicker Sporty but dont look for much quicker. After all why dont you think they dont have it out allready???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly, it isn't out yet because the MoCo is run by morons, to be perfectly blunt. They survive and thrive not because of the way they do business, but IN SPITE of it.
With that being said, I would hope that they wouldn't detune it to put it in the Sportster, although they really wouldn't have much choice. They can't sell a bike with more HP for less than the Buell.
The bottom line is that HD is out of tune with motorcycling as a whole. They almost touched on it with the V-rod, but then they kicked the MSRP of that bike up $2k this year to make sure that no one will want to buy it either. They better get with the program, or their going to find themselves in real trouble. Why would any new customers buy a V-rod when they can get a VTX for $6k less?
Don't get me wrong, I love my Sportster, and I would truly love to have a V-rod inspired Sporty, or even the V-rod itself. I would just have real trouble justifying spending the $$ to get it.

Back on topic...
I would recommend giving us a little more information as to what you want out of the bike. If you want to go Sporty touring, I would recommend the standard 1200 with highway pegs. This gives you three options as to foot placement, and probably the most upright of the riding positions.
If you want to cruise around town in "style" I'd say go for the custom, the 883 if you are a little short on cash (or can do the upgrade youself, in which case you'll wind up ahead in $$), or the 1200 if the extra power is important to you, or you don't want to own a converted bike (meaning 883-1200) with no warranty.
If you're looking for the fastest carbuerated HD on the market, then I'd say go with the 1200 Sport model.
If you want to truly go the fastest for the least $$, then start with the cheapest standard 883 you can buy, check out www.sportster.org, and get busy modding the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well I think your wrong there Norm. H-D is one of the greatest Mo. Co. the USA has, and they did not get there buy morons running the show. So there profits are up what 20% FROM A YEAR AGO because of morons??? I dont think so. Ford GM & MB/DC all lost $ big last year. Indain Victory and other bike builder in the US all did poorly last year & this year so far. The fact is Harley does what it dose for the vast majority of Harley buyers. You can't please all the folk all the time.
Back to other facts:
The VTX is not all that its cracked up to be. Ride one lately? See them all but giving them away at the Honda dealers?
Harley can still move the V-rods at MSRP.
The Buell X1 was a faster bike then the Firebolt with the old Evo base Sporty motor. You can in no way have a Sporster looking bike with the HP of a Buell do to design (stock). It would not be able to meet EPA.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I posted this elsewhere on this forum, but it fits here too:

For me, personally, I am going to get either a 883 XLH base model or the 883 Hugger. I prefer the front fork of the 883 and like the bucks and lower back end of the Hugger.

Either way, I can set it the way I like it.

I also see the 883 as a fresh canvas to work on.

Sportsters can really be anything you want them to be. A [high horsepower road] racer or coast-to-coast tourer, the choice is yours. You can chop it out too.

Below is one of the things I want to do. It's a bolt-on chop with no frame alterations. It's a kit and is done by SeegerCycle (no affiliation)

As for vibes, there are many products that will calm some of the vibrations. A new seat, good grips, the Bar Snake, nickels (buck shot) in the bars. There are also some more expensive ways too that have varied results. Bottom line is, if you feel the need to tame the Sportster, you can.

With the money you save over the 1200 Custom (about $4000), you can do TONS of mods yourself. I also suggest you do the wrenching yourself. I'm no mechanic, but between here and other sites, they will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it. Not only will you save big bucks, you will learn a lot more about your bike. You will also probably do a better job yourself than others might.

The 883 is the best bargain in the Harley lineup.

I have learned so much from this site and www.sportster.org that I would not have otherwise have known. I suggest you look over both and get some ideas.

What ever you decide, you will probably be happy. Let us know.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts