V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for assisting me. I am new to the Harley community. It is my intent on buying a Road King Classic. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1999 Road King Classic, or a 2005 Road King Classic. I am looking for feedback on which is the better bike. If the differences between the 99, and 05 are a few/none/irrelevant I might be swayed to buy the 1999 model (which has 14,000 miles). Can a few people compare, and contrast the 1999 model vs. the 2005 model. I can buy the 1999 model with a significant amount of mods for $13,500, and I can buy the 05 model for $16,500 (with few mods). Please give me some good guildance....

Thanks,
Maddog
GySgt, USMC (Ret) 6047/8412
GM BuyPower, Certified Internet Manger (Currently employed with GM)
No Wifes, Kids, or Pets

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I'll take a small whack at it...

Good question and a tough choice. The biggest part of it is the cost of mileage. '99 was the first year HD came out with the Twin Cam Engine and there were a few issues. The motor itself is solid. From '99 to '01, they used a Magnetti-Morelli Fuel injection system which was OK to get things started. In 02', they changed to a Delphi system which they still use today. It's a much better system overall.
I think it was in 04' they changed something in the frame angles to make it a better ride on the highways.
Also, '05 the rear tire got a bit wider.

Ok, guys...flame away! :flames: There's a bunch of oops in there to straighten me out on.

Oh, I would go with the 2005 with minor mods. I've never been a fan of taking the first one off the production line.

Good luck!
Tim

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
the 05. The oil burner is in referring to the bad valve guides but the dealer will tell you it is the valve seals. Ask if the warranty will transfer to you on the 05. If it is a private owner ask the dealership. If so, then buy it.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
How about 2004......

....the 2004 model had the better heads, plus all the prior advancements (better EFI, better frame angles, etc. alluded to above). I am looking to get an '04 Ultra for my project bike within a year or two - gut/replace the electronics, build out the motor, paint, etc. for this reason.

Just my two cents...

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
The 2002 bikes are the cream of the crop. In 02 the rear swingarm and axle got beefed up for 20% more lateral stability. They had the delphi fuel injection. The still had the tapered roller bearings for the crankshaft which are proven more durable; yet HD decided to cheapen them up starting in 03. The heads prior to 05 flowed better and didn't have the oil burning, leaking issues.

If I were in the market for a used bike the 02 models would be first choice. Of the two you listed, I'd buy the 99. The only real issue with the early 99-00 model bikes was the inner cam bearings being bad. I'd make sure they were changed out before buying it, or have some kind of money back clause in the purchase agreement. Then have the cam bearings serviced yourself....maybe a change to gear drive, and make sure there is no apparent damage down there from the stock inner cam bearings. If you find damage, get your money back.

As some members like ViennaHog here found out, you don't have to have a monster horsepower motor to have those cheap post-03 crank bearings take out your whole motor. I plan to stay away from any 03 and beyond bike. The wider tire that comes stock on 04 and up bikes will fit on the pre 04 bikes just fine anyway. I'd run 140mm tires on the back of my bike for a couple years till I shimmed out my sprocket and put a 150mm tire on.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
If you're going to pump the motor way up I would say the 99; however, you should be able to do much better that 13,500 but that might be a regional thing. Otherwise I would go with the one that is six years newer for only 3K more-better blue book/NADA value when talking about resale

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you go for the '99, be sure you check on those cam bearings as per Seahag's post. The '99 also has 3.37 gearing from the moco for a little better "punch". And if you like to wrench, the mm injection can be adjusted easier (such as idle) than the delphi.

Of course I'm biased.......got a '99 RKC with 50K on it................:brows:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts