Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Votes: 17 41.5%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which One? Road King or Electra Glide Classic.

My buddy is ready to buy a Harley and has narrowed it down to the Road King or the Electra Glide Classic. He is hopelessly undecided. What are some of your opinions for him? Tell him what you like or dislike about each one...

He does plan to do moderate travel with his wife. He may do some long trips (500miles+) or in state cruising.

Originally he had looked at the Ultra, but has decided that he doesn't need the lowers or the cb/intercom.

Thanks everyone for your input!!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
You need the tour pack when traveling with two. There are more than just the lowers and CB with the ultra. Saddlebag liners, extra brake and running lights(nice to be seen). I thought there was a couple more too.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
More luxury with the Ultra, than the Classic, also more $$$$. If he can survive without the cb, cruise, intercom, and lowers he will find the ride between the two very similar. Additionally, should he decide to install the quick detachables the machine can be changed to a cruiser (for a better name) much easier, ie no rear speakers, amp or cb antenna to contend with. Guess it will ultimately come down to personal choice, which it should. I was faced with same dilemma, I chose the FLHTCI. Currently have 4450 on the odmeter since Aug. 1 Mods to the engine include the stage 1 and SE slip-ons. One day I am on a touring bike the next on a slick black and chrome cruiser with a 7" black windshield and solo corbin seat. By the way the standard CD player is nice on those long rides. Love it both ways, but that is my gig, guess that he will find his after enough research.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I went with the Road King without even considering anything else in the FLH line. I lean towards more basic bikes, with the minimum "stuff" and for my tastes the RK fits the bill when it's time to hit the road for the long haul. A SAC bag gives me nearly as much room for storage as a tour pack. Just my .02 cents.

-jeff

·
old timer
516 Posts
He wants to tour...and hasn't considered the best that Harley makes...The RoadGlide....

What's up with that???

manny

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just got back from a 3500 mile trip on a new 03 Ultra demo and took delivery of a SE Road King, so I should be in a good position to comment on this. First, there is no doubt that the Electraglide series is more comfortable on trips. It has everything the King has for traveling and more of it. If touring and riding two up were the only issues, go for the Electraglide. I think the Ultra is a better deal than the Classic. However, the Electraglide feels much heavier than a Road King due to the high tour pack and fairing. The King handles great for a big bike. There is a middle ground which I took. I do a long trip every summer, but then I ride back roads and mountains the rest of the year. I picked the Road King and bought a detachable tour pack to go with it. With it off, I have a low cool crusier. With it on, I have a touring bike with cruise control, plenty of luggage space and a big back support for the passenger. In closing, whichever of these bikes he chooses, he will be happy.

shooter

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had my name down for an Ultra Classic whereas I wanted to do some long distance trouing. But this spring we bought a motorhome and a trailer and started hauling the Honda everywhere we went. We used the bike as our transport in the manner as you see some many RV towing a small car. So I liked doing this so much I changed my order to a Road King. I won't need all that added capacity whereas I will use the RV as a base of operations and ride the bike for the most part once I get to an area. It has already proved to be quite handy for that. My Road King finally got here too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thealien
I have the 2003 103. I love it. Great combination of performance and comfort. Never had both on the same bike before.

Shooter

·
Registered
9,186 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
everybody you have forgotten the flht standard a inexpensive motor cycle with most of the features you all want ie: bags and fairing and a great crusier bike. Road mine this summer from Calgary Canada to Sturgis Sd. Fairing help when it rained and keep the bugs down from killing you on the road the bags work great also you can dress the bike your way with out spending all your money right away

CC. Canada
Lest we Forget:)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Road king! Much better looking. Faster, cheaper, handles better, stops better, lighter, cruises better,..... well, for sure its better looking!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ultra Classic, the most comfortable bike out there. You've got all the options, your SO will be happy with it. I wouldn't even consider anything less. You can go cheaper but you can't go better. You can justify aything you want, but in the end when you are travelling down the highway, will you feel good about it? Do you look at another bike and say, I wish I had that? I have an Ultra and I don't envy anyone, i know I have the best. This is just me, but if you feel the same and want the best, get an Ultra.
Now I have to say, I am a bit over 50 yrs old, so this may not apply to you. If I were younger, if if if if if

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ditto what hd107 says.

My wifey would go anymore without the sterio and intercom. And that's importaint to me.

I like all the gizmo's on the Ultra - not going to cruise with anything different ever again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ditto what HD107 and Cold Rider say ... CAN'T BEAT THE ULTRA CLASSIC.

I love my batwing in combo with the lowers. (Best wind coverage anywhere) I love my cruise ... I love my stereo ... I love my weather band ... I love my trunk with the big luggage rack (hauled a 9x12 wool rug once and hauled a 50 lb cast iron goose strapped on to a week-ender duffel bag once) ... I love my speakers with automatic volume control that lets me hear at any speed ... I love the way the instruments light up at night ... I love the small size and shape of the windshield on the bat wing ... I love polishing the sensuous front curves of the bat wing ... I love looking back three or four times at the ULTRA after it's parked ...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Ultra Classic!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts