V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have never had a motorcycle but at 50 years old, the kids grown and gone...I decided it was time to stop dreaming and start doing! The question is what to get as a first bile ...of any kind! I have looked at all of them. To me the Yamaha and Harley look the best. I do have to consider the budget as I still have a mortgage...but in my eyes the Sportster 883 and 1200 and the Classic 650 or 1100 looked like the best bet. I didnt like the Kawasali, the Suzuki looked the best on paper but in person just didnt do it for me. Triumph looked great but really want a V Twin. Any opinions???
And yes...I am going to go through the MSF Course first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know I did look at Honda. In fact my first ride was a Yamaha 1100 Classic, and a friend on a Honda. The bike seemed almost too perfect to me. I dont know what it was but the Honda ran too good...idled too good...By that I mean , I got a feeling from the Yamaha of character....I didnt feel that on the Honda. Again, its a great bike...dont get me wrong....but there was just something about it that didnt grab me like the Harley and Yamaha.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Take the MSF course, get your license, then test ride all the bikes you are interested in buying. Each person is different, but for me, there was always something special about Harley-Davidsons. You'll know which bike is right for you when you've ridden them both.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Test ride everything you can, and rent whatever else you think you'd like to own. Get a bike you can grow in to, unless you like losing your a$$ on depreciation and trial and error. Take your time learning to ride before you bite off more complicated events (like long rides, big groups, high traffic, etc.) Good luck, and enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
First Cruiser

Hi,
I was looking at my first cruiser about a year ago, and was most attracted to the V-twin bikes. Since I wasn't sure that my wife would enjoy riding, I couldn't justify the price of a Harley, even though I liked them best. I test-drove a Yamaha V-star 850, which looked real nice, but had too much vibration for me. I wanted a cruiser that had enough comfort that we could do some long rides. A friend told me about an older Goldwing that was in decent condition and was only $1000.00. I didn't really care for the Goldwing's looks, but I figured I could find out if we liked taking trips on motorcycle with a small investment. I bought it and put about another $1000.00 in a seat, pipes and other equipment. We put about 4500 miles on the Goldwing over the summer and both enjoyed the experience. I then began looking for an upgrade, and was primarily looking at an '87 or earlier Honda Interstate 1100 with low miles, when an excellent opportunity to buy a 2005 Harley Ultra Classic came my way. I knew we would use and enjoy the bike, so with my wife’s blessing I bought it. It is definitely a different experience than the Honda, but I do like the bike, and it is a much sweeter looking and sounding ride. The Honda is now for sale. My point-of-view, is to buy-in cheaply until you're sure about what you want. Good luck on whatever you do, and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
RTod said:
Hello,
I have never had a motorcycle ... And yes...I am going to go through the MSF Course first.
Good idea... I would suggest getting some practice on the dirt first, maybe a enduro or trail bike. You can learn a lot on the dirt and the penalty for screw ups is much less.

If you absolutely gotta have a street bike now, look around for a used Honda Rebel or any cheap *** bike under 600cc's. Chances are great that being your first bike, it WILL get dropped. Get a little experience under your belt... take the MSF course (will be easier on a lighter bike).

Once you get a little experience then go get your dreambike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finished the MSF in October and a week later bought a Suzuki M50. If you don't like the looks, then nevermind. Otherwise it's the best bang for the buck for a mid size cruiser I can think of. It is fuel injected for picture perfect idle and acceleration (no other cruiser in this price range is I don't think). It is shaft driven so you aren't fussing with a chain or belt. There is absolutely no vibration at any speed that I have detected, and the power is comparable to most bikes in the 1000-1100cc range. I mean it, I've riden a Vstar 1100 and the power seemed the same. I didn't try any hills, maybe that's where you could tell the difference. It seemed almost as easy to handle as the GZ250 I had during MSF. I am a beginner and it's a dream ride. If I ever drop it it will be because of something stupid I did in a moment of overconfidence, not because I'm a beginner IMO. My only complain is the overuse of plastic. I would have liked the fenders to be metal, but I guess to maintain this price point you can't have it all.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If I ever drop it it will be because of something stupid I did in a moment of overconfidence, not because I'm a beginner IMO.

One thing you need to realize ,,, if you ever drop your bike ,, its because you are a motorcycle rider. Hell... dropping a bike happens even to the most seasoned rider ....all it takes is comming to a stop and putting your foot down and having it slip ,, boom ,, mr gravity takes over and the bike is on the spill bar.......An engine guard is a must on any bike that weighs more than you can muscle ......Its been quite a few years since my glide has been on the spill bar ,,,,, but shoot I know it can happen again and will sooner or later ......Its part of riding ,, kind alike getting stuck in the snow is part of winter driving......and yes you can get a 4 wheel drive truck stuck in the snow .....It doesnt happen very often ,,, thank god because when you get a 4 wheel drive stuck ,, your stuck big time lol. rat

·
Registered
16 Posts
First ride

You know, I've never been an adherent of the "buy cheap and then move up" view. I know and respect many who advise it, but in my mind, get what you really want, pay attention to MSF and just ride. The basics of handling a motorcycle that you'll get in the course are the same, regardless of size, horsepower and weight.
I'm an admitted Harley snob (but I am in recovery), who rides with anybody anytime, so I acknowledge freely that I think that HD is the way to go.
The Suze Boulevard is an excellent cruiser that looks and sounds very nice, and from what I've seen, holds it's value pretty well.
But for that bike feeling that everybody talks about check out the Dyna Wide Glide, or like another very smart guy in here you can go with the 04 or 05 FXD 'cause the best used is better than second best new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
fxd the best?

Yesy, in my opinion, the FXD is the best because I wrote the check for it and as far as I'm concerned that's what determines "best"... who writes the check.
As I said in my post, in my experience with friends who drive cruisers, for the questioner's purpose the Suze Blvd would almost ideal, but he has to write the check. If his checkbook won't do new then the best used is better than second best new.

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
fatdruid said:
Yesy, in my opinion, the FXD is the best because I wrote the check for it and as far as I'm concerned that's what determines "best"... who writes the check.
As I said in my post, in my experience with friends who drive cruisers, for the questioner's purpose the Suze Blvd would almost ideal, but he has to write the check. If his checkbook won't do new then the best used is better than second best new.
Will you write me a check for a new bike? I will call it the best!:clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts