V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm leaving late may on a long road trip and i own several denim or leather type jackets, none of which really work as an all-round, one covers all jacket. that said i need ya'll to tell me about your experience with the cortech, textile type jackets and maybe pants. are they really worth the money, what options work best for you and so on. thanks in advance SFB

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I take leather and strip it off for a long sleeved shirt when it warms up a little, then the LS shirt comes off and the tank top/t-shirt underneath serves me until it gets chilly again.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I picked up a kevlar (Codura) and leather jacket at Myrtle Beach last year and I love it! It's lighter than a full leather jacket, keeps the wind out but also has vents if I want to open them. It also has a liner you can remove.

Here's a link to one from Jamin' Leather - I didn't get mine from there but this is what it looks like:
http://www.jaminleather.net/prodinfo.asp?number=L2266VZ&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=3

They also have overpants in the Codura material that might be decent for an alternative to leather, and I also saw some that were leather on one side and Codura on the other.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
funny you should recommend jaminleathers, thats where i bought all the leather i currently have, thanks Lady G

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
I just moved over to one of these types of jackets recently from leather and really like it. Waterproof, warm with a zip out liner. Armor in the back, shoulders and elbows. Lots of pockets etc. Price was in line with what you will pay for a top shelf leather jacket.

Aerostich has a line of stuff, but they are really proud of it too. Mine is from Belstaff. http://www.belstaffusa.com/

Lot of other choices out there.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
dwarthog said:
I just moved over to one of these types of jackets recently from leather and really like it. Waterproof, warm with a zip out liner. Armor in the back, shoulders and elbows. Lots of pockets etc. Price was in line with what you will pay for a top shelf leather jacket. Aerostich has a line of stuff, but they are really proud of it too. Mine is from Belstaff. http://www.belstaffusa.com/ Lot of other choices out there.
I just got a heated liner from Aerostitch yesterday, it fits nicely under my light jacket, can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cortech

I got the Cortech Perforated Summer Leather jacket and found I can Ride from 30 degrees (with the liner) to about 90 Degrees (No Liner) with all the vents open. The only down side is it is not waterproof but that is what rain gear is for. I would recomend Cortech to anyone. It looks like the FXRG Gear but a third of the cost.

Spanky

·
424 Posts
Check out Power Trip jackets....Witht he rain liner in and a heavy chamois shirt can ride comfortably down into the 20's...When it warms up take out the liner and ride with just the Cordura and leather, then when it get's REALLY HOT Take the cordura off and have just a mesh jacket with Body armour in it....Very well made jacket for at least three seasons if not 4 with the right layering!!!:wootdnc:

http://www.power-trip.com/products.cfm?products_id=225

·
banal
486 Posts
joeschmoe said:
Check out Power Trip jackets....Witht he rain liner in and a heavy chamois shirt can ride comfortably down into the 20's...When it warms up take out the liner and ride with just the Cordura and leather, then when it get's REALLY HOT Take the cordura off and have just a mesh jacket with Body armour in it....Very well made jacket for at least three seasons if not 4 with the right layering!!!:wootdnc:

http://www.power-trip.com/products.cfm?products_id=225
By "removable 100% waterproof liner", does this mean you can wear this jacket in rain storms and not get wet? So you would not have to pack a seperate rain jacket?

I am not looking for coverage down into the 20's, just one jacket to throw into a saddlebag for summer touring that:

(1) looks like a regular jacket (not a raincoat)
(2) will keep me very dry (but not hot when I put in on and its 80 deg plus but raining) so I do not have to pack a seperate rain jacket
(3) will keep me warm when the sun goes down and I'm up in the mountains and the temps drop to low 50's, maybe upper 40's
(4) not bulky
(5) armor not a concern, even not deisrable because of the bulk, since I wear a skid lid so my brains will spill out all over the pavement if I crash anyway

Would this fit the bill without a lot of extra bulky panels or whatever? Or is the Power Trip going to be overkill and extra bulk for what I'm looking for? Price is not an object.

Thanks

·
banal
486 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
I picked up a kevlar (Codura) and leather jacket at Myrtle Beach last year and I love it! It's lighter than a full leather jacket, keeps the wind out but also has vents if I want to open them. It also has a liner you can remove.

Here's a link to one from Jamin' Leather - I didn't get mine from there but this is what it looks like:
http://www.jaminleather.net/prodinfo.asp?number=L2266VZ&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=3

They also have overpants in the Codura material that might be decent for an alternative to leather, and I also saw some that were leather on one side and Codura on the other.
Hi Lady

Thanks for the link, I'm looking at the mens Codura vented jacket and it looks like it would just fit the bill (what I'm looking for described above). I am wondering, it says "water resistant" in one description which sounds like if you ride through a sprinkler you might stay dry (not waterproof enough for what I'm looking for), but then in another description it says "Hate the weight of all leather jackets and still need a great riding jacket that is waterproof as well", which sounds like it would sub just fine and dandy for a rain jacket. From your experience, assuming you've been caught in a downpour or 2, just how water-resistant-proof is the Codura? Do you pack a separate rain jacket?

Thanks again for sharing the link.

Bill

·
424 Posts
CarbideDude said:
By "removable 100% waterproof liner", does this mean you can wear this jacket in rain storms and not get wet? So you would not have to pack a seperate rain jacket?

I am not looking for coverage down into the 20's, just one jacket to throw into a saddlebag for summer touring that:

(1) looks like a regular jacket (not a raincoat)
(2) will keep me very dry (but not hot when I put in on and its 80 deg plus but raining) so I do not have to pack a seperate rain jacket
(3) will keep me warm when the sun goes down and I'm up in the mountains and the temps drop to low 50's, maybe upper 40's
(4) not bulky
(5) armor not a concern, even not deisrable because of the bulk, since I wear a skid lid so my brains will spill out all over the pavement if I crash anyway

Would this fit the bill without a lot of extra bulky panels or whatever? Or is the Power Trim going to be overkill and extra bulk for what I'm looking for? Price is not an object.

Thanks
You are exactly right except for the armor....It does make the jacket bulky...It basically has three "liners"

1.Inner lining is 100% waterproof...no additional rain jacket
2. Cordura outer liner is removable
3. Once the other two "liners" are removed it leaves you with just a mesh jacket with the armor and very cool air flowing all around the body!!!

If the armor/bulk is the concern once you wear it for a while it kind of molds to you but yes there is some bulk you just have to accept....

Look at it this way if your brains are all over the pavement then they could land on your torso and the jacket

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have a perf leather HD jacket , a Power Trip Mesh jacket with the CE pads and just got a Cortech DSX. The Cortech is outstanding, the vents works well , I've ridden down to 60 with no liner , and up to 80 with the liner. It was the least expensive and it's my favorite. The CE +foam is good for protection , the denim is a nice break from leather and not as hot on the scorching days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts